Dht11 - 16f877a

Closed Thread

Thread: Dht11 - 16f877a

Default Dht11 - 16f877a

Picbasic code for DHT11 ?
    Last edited by Thanasis; - 8th March 2014 at 08:28.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Dht11 - 16f877a

Hello, I want to measure the humidity in an incubator.
    I have the PIc 16F877A. Osc:20MHz.
    Does anyone know the code to DTH11 in pic basic pro.
    thank you
    Last edited by Thanasis; - 8th March 2014 at 08:44.

I have not done it with PBP, but in another life I did it with PICAXE BASIC.

After being queried, the DHT11 returns 41 Bits of Data. The first bit is an ACK and can be ignored. The next 16 bits are Humidity bits. ONly the first 8 of these bits are used wth the DHT-11. The next 16 bits are Temperature bits and again only the first 8 are used. The next 8 bits are the checksum.

First Bit - Ignore or use for interrupt

Bit 1 - 8 Humidity MSByte
    Bit 9 - 16 Hymidity LSByte (Only used with DHT22 - Ignore - All zeros
    Bit 17 - 24 Temperature MSByte
    Bit 25 - 32 Temperature LSByte (Only used with DHT22 - Ignore - All zeros
    Bit 33 = 40 Checksum - use if desired

The protocol is such that each bit starts with a 50us low, followed by either a 27us high Pulse or a 70us high pulse,where 27us = "0" nd 70us = "1"

These pulses can be read with pulsin and then tested with an IF statement to determine if a pulse is a 1 or a 0.

There is only 50us between bits so the PIC only has 50us to read the bit & determine if a 1 or 0 before the next bit arrives.

I am not going to write & debug the code for you if that is what you are looking for. However, below is a link to the Picaxe Basic code that may be helpful. You should not need the 555 timer or 74HC221 since PBP it is compiled code and runs much, much faster than Picaxe Basic interpreted code.

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthr...ighlight=DHT11

Unhappy Re: Dht11 - 16f877a

Quote Originally Posted by cyberroth View Post
    I have not done it with PBP, but in another life I did it with PICAXE BASIC.

After being queried, the DHT11 returns 41 Bits of Data. The first bit is an ACK and can be ignored. The next 16 bits are Humidity bits. ONly the first 8 of these bits are used wth the DHT-11. The next 16 bits are Temperature bits and again only the first 8 are used. The next 8 bits are the checksum.

First Bit - Ignore or use for interrupt

Bit 1 - 8 Humidity MSByte
    Bit 9 - 16 Hymidity LSByte (Only used with DHT22 - Ignore - All zeros
    Bit 17 - 24 Temperature MSByte
    Bit 25 - 32 Temperature LSByte (Only used with DHT22 - Ignore - All zeros
    Bit 33 = 40 Checksum - use if desired

The protocol is such that each bit starts with a 50us low, followed by either a 27us high Pulse or a 70us high pulse,where 27us = "0" nd 70us = "1"

These pulses can be read with pulsin and then tested with an IF statement to determine if a pulse is a 1 or a 0.

There is only 50us between bits so the PIC only has 50us to read the bit & determine if a 1 or 0 before the next bit arrives.

I am not going to write & debug the code for you if that is what you are looking for. However, below is a link to the Picaxe Basic code that may be helpful. You should not need the 555 timer or 74HC221 since PBP it is compiled code and runs much, much faster than Picaxe Basic interpreted code.

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthr...ighlight=DHT11

Thank you very much, but I have not dealt with picaxe.

This link explains how these sensors work

http://ruijc.webnode.com/products/le...sensor-reader/

Show us your code and doubts so we can help you.

Regards
    Rui

Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Smile Re: Dht11 - 16f877a

Informative article, thank you very much.

After reading related articles ... I did test the code below forum member

Making use with: PIC16F877A, OSC: 20Mhz ...... I could not get it to work ..... if anyone has a solution to Picbasic Pro let's publish.

http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16196
    Last edited by Thanasis; - 13th March 2014 at 18:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanasis View Post
    After reading related articles ... I did test the code below forum member

Making use with: PIC16F877A, OSC: 20Mhz ...... I could not get it to work ..... if anyone has a solution to Picbasic Pro let's publish.

http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16196
    Publish the code you tested please.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyBird2 View Post
    Publish the code you tested please.
    Hi, thank you for the response, code that tests are:
    Code:
    @ errorlevel-306
    INCLUDE "modedefs.bas"
    Define OSC 20 ' 20MHz 
    Define    ADC_BITS    10    ' Set number of bits in result
    Define    ADC_CLOCK    3    ' Set clock source (3=rc)
    Define    ADC_SAMPLEUS    50    ' Set sampling time in uS 

dht var byte[32]
    humidite var byte
    haut var byte
    bas var byte
    temp var byte
    x var byte
    dht11 var portb.0

start:
    TRISB.0 = 0 '
    high  dht11  
    pause 2000 ' wait 2 sec
    low dht11  : pause 18' send 20ms low
    high dht11  : pauseus 30 ' send 40us hi
    TRISB.0 = 0
    PulsIn PORTB.0, 1, haut 
    if haut < 15 then goto start
    for x = 31 to 0 step-1 
    PulsIn PORTB.0, 1, dht[x] ' 1
    next x
    For x = 31 to 0 step-1 
    if dht[x] > 9 then
    dht[x]=1 
    else
    dht[x]=0
    endif
    next x
    humidite=dht[31]*128+dht[30]*64+dht[29]*32+dht[28]*16+dht[27]*8+dht[26]*4+dht[25]*2+dht[24]*1
    temp=dht[15]*128+ dht[14]*64+dht[13]*32+dht[12]*16+dht[11]*8+dht[10]*4+dht[9]*2+dht[8]*1
    SEROUT2 PORTC.5,16468,["Humidite = ",#humidite,"% ",10 ,13]
    SEROUT2 PORTC.5,16468,["Temperature = ",#temp,"C ",10 ,13]
    goto start
    Last edited by Archangel; - 29th March 2015 at 00:20.

Ηι! Τhanasis

My friend if you want to use my program -as is- you have to use 4Mhz crystal. Ιf you use 20Mhz you have to change pulse measurements values as the resolution from 10us goes down to 2us with crystal at 20Mhz!
    Robotics , aeromodelling r/c , picprogramming , Retro Computer Collector

@Thanasis ...if you want to keep 20Mhz try to change

if pulse(x)>=2 and pulse(x)<=4 then p(x)=0 'if pulsewidth between 20 and 40uS then read as '0'
    if pulse(x)>=6 and pulse(x)<=8 then p(x)=1 'if pulsewidth between 60 and 80uS then read as '1'

to this one

if pulse(x)>=9 and pulse(x)<=21 then p(x)=0 'if pulsewidth between 20 and 40uS then read as '0'
    if pulse(x)>=29 and pulse(x)<=41 then p(x)=1 'if pulsewidth between 60 and 80uS then read as '1'

and let me know
    Robotics , aeromodelling r/c , picprogramming , Retro Computer Collector

Quote Originally Posted by bitmaniac View Post
    @

and let me know
    OK an old post I know, but I received a DHT11 today and had a play. This works fine on an 18F2520 running with a 20mhz crystal.

Code:
    ASM 
      __CONFIG    _CONFIG1H, _OSC_HS_1H
      __CONFIG    _CONFIG2L, _PWRT_ON_2L  
      __CONFIG    _CONFIG2H, _WDT_ON_2H & _WDTPS_512_2H
      __CONFIG    _CONFIG3H, _MCLRE_ON_3H & _LPT1OSC_OFF_3H & _PBADEN_OFF_3H  
      __CONFIG    _CONFIG4L, _LVP_OFF_4L & _XINST_OFF_4L
    ENDASM

'*******************************************************************************
    ' LCD (20 x 4) set up
    '*******************************************************************************

DEFINE LCD_DREG  PORTB                  ' LCD Data port
    DEFINE LCD_DBIT  0                      ' starting Data bit (0 or 4)
    DEFINE LCD_EREG  PORTB                  ' LCD Enable port
    DEFINE LCD_EBIT  5                      '     Enable bit  (on EasyPIC 5 LCD)
    DEFINE LCD_RSREG PORTB                  ' LCD Register Select port
    DEFINE LCD_RSBIT 4                      '     Register Select bit   (on EasyPIC 5 LCD)
    DEFINE LCD_BITS  4                      ' LCD bus size (4 or 8 bits)
    DEFINE LCD_LINES 4                      ' number of lines on LCD
    DEFINE LCD_COMMANDUS 2000               ' Command delay time in us 
    DEFINE LCD_DATAUS 50                    ' Data delay time in us 

' Defines Statements

DEFINE  OSC 20                          ' 18F4520 / 18F2520, 20mhz crystal
    ADCON1 = $0F
    clear    

'Analog and Comparator settings

ADCON0 = %00000000                      'AD converter module disabled
    ADCON1 = %00001111                      'All Digital
    ADCON2 = %00000000
    CMCON = 7                               'Disable Comparators

'Port and Register settings  (interrupts)

TRISA  = %00010111              
    TRISB  = %00000011               
    T0CON  = %11000111

T1CON = %00000001                               ; free-running, 1:1 prescaler
    TMR1H = %11111111
    TMR1L = %11111011

LCDOUT $FE,1:FLAGS=0:PAUSE 250:LCDOUT $FE,1:PAUSE 250 ' Initialize LCD

dht var byte[32]
    humidite var byte
    haut var byte
    bas var byte
    temp var byte
    x var byte
    dht11 var portA.5

start:
    TRISA.5 = 0 '
    high dht11
    pause 2000 ' wait 2 sec
    low dht11 : pause 18' send 20ms low
    high dht11 : pauseus 30 ' send 40us hi
    TRISA.5 = 0
    PulsIn PORTA.5, 1, haut
    if haut < 15 then goto start
    for x = 31 to 0 step-1
    PulsIn PORTA.5, 1, dht[x] ' 1
    next x
    For x = 31 to 0 step-1
    if dht(x)>=9 and dht(x)<=21 then dht(x)=0 'if pulsewidth between 20 and 40uS then read as '0'
    if dht(x)>=29 and dht(x)<=41 then dht(x)=1 'if pulsewidth between 60 and 80uS then read as '1'
    next x
    humidite=dht[31]*128+dht[30]*64+dht[29]*32+dht[28]*16+dht[27]*8+dht[26]*4+dht[25]*2+dht[24]*1
    temp=dht[15]*128+ dht[14]*64+dht[13]*32+dht[12]*16+dht[11]*8+dht[10]*4+dht[9]*2+dht[8]*1
    lcdout  $FE,1 
    lcdout  $FE,$C0,"Humidite = ",#humidite,"% "
    lcdout  $FE,$80,"Temperature = ",#temp,$DF,"C"
    goto start
    I've used Port A, pin 5 as the data line as I used an EasyPIC5 development board, and has the readings displayed on an 4 x 20 LCD rather than serial out.

Below is code that will work to communicate with a DHT11 humidity sensor. The code is only for the humidity integer value. I don't measure the temperature or checksum, but this can easily be done by expanding the number of bits read.

I found that certain routines, like the for/next that some people have used, probably don't run fast enough with a 4MHz clock. 20MHz works well. Using a different scheme I can read the DHT1 with a 4MHz clock.

Also remember that pulsin doesn't measure in usec but rather in increments of microseconds depending on the clock speed. For example, at 4MHz each count on pulsin represents 10usec. So a count of 7 is actually 7 x 10 = 70usec. Likewise for 8MHz it is 8usec/count (7 x 8usec = 56usec) and at 20MHz is is 2usec/count (7 x 2usec = 14usec). Similarly, at 20MHz to read 70usec you need 70/2 = 35 counts, tho I'd look for >=30 counts to give some leeway.

Code:
    '****************************************************************
    '*  Name    : DHT11_test.BAS                                                                          *
    '*  Author  : [select VIEW...EDITOR OPTIONS]                                                    *
    '*  Notice  : Copyright (c) 2015 [select VIEW...EDITOR OPTIONS]                          *
    '*          : All Rights Reserved                                                                          *
    '*  Date    : 3/28/2015                                                                                   *
    '*  Version : 1.0                                                                                            *
    '*  Notes   :                                                                                                 *
    '*          :                                                                                                    *
    '****************************************************************

'
    '       PIC16F688
    '
    '       Running at 20MHz but code also shown for 4MHz
    '
    '       The configuration bits for the 16F688 I set in MPLAB manually.  Depedning on your processor you will have to
    '       determine and set your own bits.
    '

DEFINE  OSC 20                              '20 MHz clock frequency, need a fast clock for this to work best
    define  HSER_RCSTA 90h                   'enable the serial port receiver 
    define  HSER_TXSTA 24h                   'set up the serial port, enable transmit for fast clock
    define  HSER_BAUD  9600                  'select the baud rate, run slow for the RF xmitter
    define  HSER_CLROERR 1                    'automatically clear the buffer overrun error

i              var byte
    rhdata      var byte
    hum         var byte[8]
    humidity    var byte                          'humidity data byte
    humid       var byte                                                          

dbit0 var byte
    dbit1 var byte
    dbit2 var byte
    dbit3 var byte
    dbit4 var byte
    dbit5 var byte                                                                                                                                                                         
    dbit6 var byte
    dbit7 var byte

togl    var     portc.0                       'not used except to add delay
    rhpin   var     portc.2                       'relativity sensor data bit
    TxD     var     portc.4                      'transmitted data
    RxD     var     portc.5                       'received data

CMCON0 = %00000111                      'comparator off
    OSCCON = %01110110                      '   external 20  runs at 4 MHz internal clock
    ADCON0 = %10000000                       'ADC is disabled
    ANSEL  = %00000000                        'all digital
    TRISA  = %11111111                        'set up port A where 1 = input, 0 = output
    TRISC  = %11101011                        'set up port C where 1 = input, 0 = output

'==========================================================================================================================================
    '
    '       This routine below works but needs a clock faster than 4MHz or the For/Next loop isn't fast enough.  This might be what is causing
    '       people consternation if they run at the common 4MHz clock.
    '
    '
    '==========================================================================================================================================

rhpin = 1                                             'initial condition
    pause 2000                                          'wait for the DHT to start up

mainloop:

trisc.2 = 0                                            'now set portc.2 (the DHT11 I/O pin) to output mode
    rhpin = 0                                              'set rhpin = portc.2 low
    pause 30                                              'wait 30 msec, must wait at least 18 msec for DHT11 to detect the signal
    trisc.2 = 1                                            'now make portb.2 an input. Since this line is pulled high with an R rhpin becomes high
                                                              'rhpin stays high 20-40usec until DHT pulls it low (actually ~13usec measured on scope)

pulsin rhpin, 0, rhdata                             'execute an active low pulse measurement
                                                              'When the pulse goes back high it stays for 80 usec and goes low followed by data

if rhdata > 50 then goto subloop              'if this takes way over 100 usec then error  (50 x 2usec/pulsin count = 100usec)
    rhdata = 0                                           'clear rhdata.  Since < 130 usec then get ready for data which will be next low to high                                                    

pauseus 30                                          'delay makes sure the next pulse is a high going data pulse. Probably isn't needed.                                                    

For i = 7 To 0 Step -1                              '8 bits (1..8)

Pulsin rhpin, 1, rhdata                         ' receive pulses from sensor. 8 bits of integer part of data come first, ignore rest
        If rhdata >= 30 Then                          ' A "1" is defined for a bit width of 70usec, a "0" for bit width <30 usec.
                                                              'Remember, Pulsin counts increments depending on the clock frequency.  At 20MHz clock
                                                              ' frequency 30 rhdata counts =>  30 x 2usec = 60usec.  Rhdata >= 30 counts == data = 1
            hum[i] = 1                                    ' if >50 usec then logic 1
            Else 
            hum[i] = 0                                    ' if not >=50 usec then is a 0 
        endif

next i

pause 500                                           'not needed, was added during testing for readability of printout

humidity = hum[7]*128+hum[6]*64+ hum[5]*32+hum[4]*16+ hum[3]*8+hum[2]*4+ hum[1]*2+hum[0]*1

hserout ["A", 9, dec3 humidity, 13]          'serial output

pause 2000                                          ' wait for the rest of the DHT timing

'******************************************************************************************************************************************
    '
    '
    '       The scheme below will work with a 4MHz clock, but the timing number to check dbit is shown for 20MHz.  For 4MHz compare dbit 
    '       to 6 not 30.
    '
    '
    '
    '******************************************************************************************************************************************

humid =  0
    trisc.2 = 0                                             'now set portc.2 to output
    rhpin =   0                                             'set rhpin = portc.2 low
    pause 30                                               'wait 30 msec, must wait at least 18 msec for DHT11 to detect the signal
    trisc.2 = 1                                             'make portb.2 an input. Since this line is pulled high with an R rhpin becomes high

toggle togl                                             'use to add some delay here.  Pauseus can't be < 24 usec at 4MHz clock

luupy:
    if rhpin = 1 then goto luupy                      'wait for the DHT pin to go low then delay until the DHT is ready                                                                 

pauseus 130                                         'this delay ignores the first high going DHT pulse for initializaion and instead 
                                                              ' moves ahead to wait for first dat abit high transition.

pulsin rhpin, 1, dbit7                              'measure the pulsewidth of the DHT transmitted bit.  Low ~ 26-28usec, high ~70usec 

pulsin rhpin, 1, dbit6                              'measure the pulsewidth of the DHT transmitted bit.  Low ~ 26-28usec, high ~70usec 

pulsin rhpin, 1, dbit5                              'measure the pulsewidth of the DHT transmitted bit.  Low ~ 26-28usec, high ~70usec 

pulsin rhpin, 1, dbit4                              'measure the pulsewidth of the DHT transmitted bit.  Low ~ 26-28usec, high ~70usec 

pulsin rhpin, 1, dbit3                              'measure the pulsewidth of the DHT transmitted bit.  Low ~ 26-28usec, high ~70usec 

pulsin rhpin, 1, dbit2                              'measure the pulsewidth of the DHT transmitted bit.  Low ~ 26-28usec, high ~70usec 

pulsin rhpin, 1, dbit1                              'measure the pulsewidth of the DHT transmitted bit.  Low ~ 26-28usec, high ~70usec 

pulsin rhpin, 1, dbit0                              'measure the pulsewidth of the DHT transmitted bit.  Low ~ 26-28usec, high ~70usec 

hserout [13]                                        'the dbits can be printed if desired.  This is used to check the data.  Not needed.
    hserout ["C", 9, dec2 dbit6, 9, dec2 dbit5, 9, dec2 dbit4, 9, dec2 dbit3, 9, dec2 dbit2, 9, dec2 dbit1, 9, dec2 dbit0, 13]  'optional

'100% humidity = 0110 0100.  Don't need to add bit 7
    if dbit6 >= 30 then                                 'check each bit to see if greater than 60 usec (30 x 2usec).  If so the bit is a 1 so
        humid = 64                                       '  add its decimal equivalent to the humidity byte to get he rh value
    endif
    if dbit5 >= 30 then
        humid = humid + 32                              'NOTE:  if using 4MHz clock then test dbit for >=6  (6 x 10usec/pulsin count = 60 usec)
    endif
    if dbit4 >= 30 then
        humid = humid + 16
    endif
    if dbit3 >= 30 then
        humid = humid + 8
    endif
    if dbit2 >= 30 then                                                                              
        humid = humid + 4
    endif
    if dbit1 >= 30 then
        humid = humid + 2
    endif                                                    
    if dbit0 >= 30 then
        humid = humid + 1                               'at this point the humid value is the humidity value
    endif

hserout ["D", 9, dec3 humid, 13]                  'serial output
    hserout [13]                                            'linefeed for better output readability.  This isn't needed.

pause 2000                                             'need to wait at least a second before repeating this data read sequence

GoTo mainloop

subloop:
    hserout ["Sensor not ready", 13]
    GoTo mainloop

end
    Last edited by Archangel; - 29th March 2015 at 00:22. Reason: code tags

That’s about how I would have gone about it i.e. reading it with timing, and looking at the buffer later,
    It looks like a job for portb.0 interrupt so the code doesn’t have to spend most time waiting.

It’s a shame there isn’t an option in PBP to carry the bit after rotating a byte like humid to wrap it in a loop.
    For the last part the timing doesn’t matter anymore. There’s more than one way to skin a cat.

Code:
    bb var byte ‘ bit index
    ii var byte ‘ counter
    dbit var byte[7] ‘ declare the array of bytes representing received bit times

humid = 0 ‘ reset humid!
    bb = 1 ‘ set intial index value
    for ii = 0 to 6 ‘ address each bit
    if dbit[ii] > 29 then
    humid = humid + bb ‘ set the bit
    endif
    bb = bb + bb ‘ multiply index by 2 each step
    next ii
    Last edited by Art; - 31st March 2015 at 15:58.