Define osc 8 not working on 12f683 - wondering if Its related to include files?

Closed Thread

Default Define osc 8 not working on 12f683 - wondering if Its related to include files?

Hi gang,
    I've been playing with a 12f683 in 4mhz mode and sending results to a serial LCD using "SEROUT pin, T9600, ["text here"]

works fine.

But then I tried bumping the internal osc to 8mhz

OSCCON = %01110111 ' internal oscillator at 8 MHZ
    define osc 8

The oscillator frequency is definitely changing
    But the "define osc 8" command looks like its being ignored by PBP3.

I put an Oscope on the serial clock pulse-width to check.
    And with our without the "devine osc 8" there is no change.

Where should I look for troubleshooting this?
    I'm using Pickit2 as the programmer.

Big Thanks!!
    Duane

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Define osc 8 not working on 12f683 - wondering if Its related to include files?

Hi Duane,
    The manual would be the first place to start when troubleshooting this particular problem :-)
    Define is a case sensitive keyword, ie osc is not the same as OSC. So, try define OSC 8.

/Henrik.

Default Re: Define osc 8 not working on 12f683 - wondering if Its related to include files?

THANK YOU! I've been having the same problem for the past year, just adjusted timing manually and never bothered to figure it out.

Just make sure you enter any "DEFINE" statements as all CAPS.

They are case sensistive.
    Dwight
    These PIC's are like intricate puzzles just waiting for one to discover their secrets and MASTER their capabilities.

And again, it's WHAT you trying to define that's case sensitive, not the word define itself
    Code:
    DeFiNe OSC 8  ' works
    define OSC 8 ' works
    DEFine OSC 8  'works
    DEFINE OSC 8 ' works
    DEFINE osc 8  'does not work because OSC is what's case sensitive.
    /Henrik.

Actually, I'm using Micro Code Studio editor and it auto-magically changes the case of everything to what it likes.
    So I tried typing all upper case and MCSE just changes it to lower case.
    I've looked in the PBP3 manual and don't see anything that would give a hint.
    I think I'll try to email Mel Labs if they have the time to answer.
    I'm sure they've seen that before.
    They designed the compile code, so I would hope they would know what I should be looking for.
    I wonder if there is something in the include file that is over-riding the define statement.
    I'll post what I find out.
    Thanks my friend :-]

Hi,
    Actually, you can change the way MCSP formats the code by going to View -> Editor Options -> Highlighter but that can be a bit misleading because it's actually only how MCSP displays the code on the screen IN MSCP, if you open the code in Notepad or whatever it'll be exactly as you typed it - something to watch out for in other words.

If you look at section 2.3.3 in the PBP3 manual you'll find
    For the user familiar with Assembly Language, the major clue to understanding is that DEFINEs in PBP are converted literally to Assembly Language #DEFINE directives.
    For the practical PBP user, there are a couple of fundamental points to consider:
    1) DEFINEs are CASE SENSITIVE!
    2) Specific DEFINEs are generally associated with PBP commands. The command pages will describe how the relevant DEFINEs affect the operation of each command.
    This has been covered multiple times in the forum but again, the word define is a PBP command/keyword and PBP is not case sensitive so it can be either case DEFine, defINe, DEFINE, define, doesn't matter. What comes AFTER DeFiNe is passed directly the assembler and the assembler (MPASM) IS case sensitive. PBP's library routines are written in assembly and uses the OSC setting/value/variable/definition/whatever to calculate software delays, baudrates etc etc etc. So when you need to tell the compiler that you're using another oscillator frequency you need to define OSC not osc or Osc, they are three different things and the library routines only know about OSC - not osc or Osc.

/Henrik.

As many times as this DEFINE in particular gets brought up you'd think MeLabs would at least give you an error during compile if the two defines XXX don't match. Seems like it should generate some kind of error.

You can DEFINE anything you want for use with your assembly language routines.
    PBP has no way to know if you are using 'osc' in your routines, or if you didn't capitalize 'OSC' for PBP.

It is unfortunately up to you to get it right.
    DT

Never good to rely on lowest common denominator. That reliance means this thread will be recreated many more times.

Henrik was right in his original post on this.
    It just occurred to me ***DUH*** that just because the editor automatically makes "define" into lower case, doesn't mean the OSC is supposed to be lower case as well.

With MicroCode Studio the only syntax that works is "define OSC 8"

Nice to have the 8mhz clock running for more fun experiments.
    BTW:
    I just got a couple 18F2550 chips.
    Looking forward to playing with them!!! :-]