You know, if I had even a LITTLE brains, I'd be dangerous!

Closed Thread

Default You know, if I had even a LITTLE brains, I'd be dangerous!

Ok, so the back story is that my shop computer went to data heaven about three weeks ago. Very old, time for something new. Bought a new (to me) machine, and proceeded to put everything back on it.

My thought was - "Boy am I every lucky that I backed up the important stuff on the network RAID drive!" The important stuff being my 'Projects' folder with all my PBP programs, circuit boards, etc, and my Vixen folder that has all my programming for my Christmas lights.

I found out, I wasn't doing backups as often as I THOUGHT I was! The program for my Numitron Clock had some discrepancies with what was actually on the MCU. It was at the point of counting to 6 on the display tubes (just to prove the display worked), but when I did a change to the program and re-flashed the MCU..........NOTHING ON ANY DISPLAY TUBE!

After about a week of troubleshooting the program, I found out I had changed some pin functions AND I wasn't setting TRISC to output!

To solve this apparent laziness in backups, the actual working projects folder is now ON the RAID drive - it's immediately backed up because its a RAID 1.

I'm terrified to find out what ELSE I didn't back up.......
    "I have noticed that even those who assert that everything is predestined and that
    we can change nothing about it still look both ways before they cross the street"

-Stephen Hawking

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: You know, if I had even a LITTLE brains, I'd be dangerous!

I usually backup the most important folders in my computer to two DVD disks. I keep one somewhere at home and the other DVD I keep it at my work office (off-site). That way I can always count with an "off-site" backup copy of my files in case I need them.
    "No one is completely worthless. They can always serve as a bad example."

Anonymous

I use dropbox All my current projects are accessible on any computer and are automatically backed up. Works perfect!

Referal link --> https://db.tt/DUpWEOa4
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by spcw1234 View Post
    I use dropbox All my current projects are accessible on any computer and are automatically backed up. Works perfect!

Referal link --> https://db.tt/DUpWEOa4
    What are the chances that dropbox.com go bankrupt and you loose all your data? Just a dumb thought .... Or, they can have a major technical disruption. How reliable are they?

Anonymous

You can't lose your data, it is on every computer you have dropbox installed, only requiring the internet connection to update files (or parts of files) it is very fast and no internet connection required to access your files. It works very slick. I have screwed up files already and they retain a backup of all recent revisions of the file allowing you to take a specific file back in time. I do local backups too, but this is instant everytime a file changes and best part is you can access the files on your other computers or mobile devices flawlessly.
    Shawn

Exactly the same risk you take when you put money in the bank.

Old real estate proverb: If it's in writing you have a prayer,
    If it's verbal, all you've got is air.
    If your program is of semi-vital status, perhaps a paper copy archived in a notebook as a backup . . .
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    No, if I understood correctly what Shawn said, all the data is in your local computers. So, it is not in a remote server where the data can get corrupted and lost. If it is like Shawn said, then I would have to take a closer look at dropbox.com.

Anonymous

Hi,
    It's both.
    Basically, on each computer where you have Dropbox installed you have a Dropbox folder. This folder is mirrored "in the cloud" (on Dropbox servers) and on all other computers connected to your Dropbox. If you change a file on one computer it gets changed in the Dropbox on-line and on all the other computers connected to that Dropbox as soon as the "sync up".

If one Dropbox enabled computer is off the net you still have the files on the local harddrive in the state they where when the computer lost internet access. If you change a file on this computer the other machines will get updated as soon as this machine has internet access again. I'm not sure exactly how it works if the same file is changed on another computer as well.

Take a look at Dropbox website, they show you how it works.

/Henrik.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    More like putting money in the bank AND keeping a copy of it at home, at work, and in your pocket. :P
    Shawn

Leprechauns have the right idea there
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

I don't know about leprechauns, but the dropbox service, at least the free 2GB with bonus for every friend, is good for me too. I have currently 4 devices synced (including my phone) and all files are available either being on or off line.

Also there is a special function that allows files in the local Dropbox folder on the Hard disk, to be shared on demand. Just right click on the selected file in the folder and click on the 'Share Drobox link' . Then the link is copied in the clipboard.

I think similar idea is the iCloud or SkyDrive.

Ioannis

Just be aware that others may delete your stuff so be careful with permissions (was like that way back).

Robert

Yes you are right Robert, so, I usually make a copy of my file to share and drop it in the dropbox, then share it.

Ioannis