design question

Closed Thread

Thread: design question

Default design question

Since I've gotten Proteus I've been working on small projects learning some of the basics before I move on to bigger and hopefully better things. Inexplicably I've been going smaller not larger. I started with a 16F877A moved down to a 16F616 then a 12F683. Now I'm learning with a 10F222 and I noticed something that I don't understand.

Staying withing the 10FXXX lineage, why would you build a circuit using a 10F200 when a 10F322 costs only ten cents more? I know there is a huge difference in memory, oscillator freq., ADC channels and many other. It just seems to me if I were designing a circuit I'd use the biggest bang for the buck, build in future expansion possibility while only stocking one chip.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: design question

Hi,
    If you don't really NEED the extra features of 322 and you're making, say, 100k units of your desing then those mere 10 cents per unit equals 10k in the end - 10k pure profit - simple as that.
    For hobby use where you make 1 or 10 - it doesn't matter one bit, pick the one offering the greatest flexibillity. IF the design turns commercial you can always try to squeeze into a cheaper device.

Those are my thoughts....

/Henrik.

I bought some 10F322's along with some $5 dev boards from Mouser only to find that they were not supported yet by MicroCode Studio or mikroProg.
    Do you have a way to compile with PBP?
    Louie

Thanks Henrik, I keep thinking small as I doubt if I ever will complete a commercially viable product desireable by many more people than me. your thoughts are always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AvionicsMaster1 View Post
    Thanks Henrik, I keep thinking small as I doubt if I ever will complete a commercially viable product desireable by many more people than me. your thoughts are always appreciated.
    Hi. I'm sure you have the knowledge to come up with a commercially viable product. Just concentrate on something that you like, for example avionics, and you will figure something out.
    "No one is completely worthless. They can always serve as a bad example."

Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by AvionicsMaster1 View Post
    Staying withing the 10FXXX lineage, why would you build a circuit using a 10F200 when a 10F322 costs only ten cents more?
    They aren't really thinking like that, the later chip is a newer generation with features designed to obsolete the former.
    There was a time when the 16F84 was the same price as a 16F628 too, why would you want half the memory and less peripherals?
    Somewhere out there though, someone would still have been wanting the 16F84 to write existing hex files to.

HEY! Don't diss the 16F628. I started with that PIC and still have a boatload on hand, somewhere. Same with the 16F877.

Robert

It is the 'F84 in that example that has half memory (1K) and less peripherals!
    The 'F628 is a beast, and I'd still choose it for small personal stuff that only needed
    a couple of pins because it's ready for more if the project runs away form you

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    HEY! Don't diss the 16F628. I started with that PIC and still have a boatload on hand, somewhere. Same with the 16F877.

Robert

@Art - I couldn't agree more, and the std. F version will ran at 10Mhz on 3V

George