where to put include files

Closed Thread

Default where to put include files

Can someone tell me where I should put the *.bas files that have to be INCLUDEd to use Microchips FP routines? I've tried 1/2 dozen folders already, none compile because either the file can't be found or it just says "unable to open include file FP20.bas". I read somewhere to put it in the "project" directory. Where's that?

I tried putting it on root of C:PBP3, then on the root of Microchip folder (in Program files), then in the INC folders of either one, then in it's own separate folder. I am copying the entire contents of FP.ZIP obtained from MELabs website, so that DEV_FAM.inc and Math16.inc are in the same folder as the fp20.bas file I want.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: where to put include files

Hi,
    Normally they go either in the root PBP folder, ie C:\PBP3\ or in the project folder which is the folder where the source file you're compiling (ie your program) is saved. They can be put in other folders as well but then you need to specify that in the path of the include statement.

Make sure you match the filename AND extension exactly.

Haven't had any trouble with the INCLUDE statement at this end. Haven't tried with the FP-routines though. Are you including anything else except the FP routines?

/Henrik.

I had tried the root of C:\PBP3 but that did not work. I will try again, making sure I have the other files as well. PB20.bas will not compile and I get an assembler error if some of the other *.INC files (such as DEV_FAM.INC) aren't in the same folder. In other words, not only the .bas file is required, but other accessory files.

I create my own project file on another disk partition since I have so many different ones and versions of "same" programs. When I pointed to the path like this:
    Include "c:\pbp3\pb20.bas" well that didn't work either. Now I had tried a number of things a couple different ways so I'll check to see if I just had bad combinations. At least I know not to put it in the Microchip folder.

I'm using the Microchip assembler (not MP) and to answer your question, the only file I include is PB20.bas, per examples given. The other INC files I mentioned are pulled in by this bas file.

thanks, i'll get back to you when it works.

I seem to be my own worst enemy:

I grabbed all the files from the FP.ZIP folder I got from MELabs, and plunked them down onto C:\PBP3 folder.

Then I compiled.

No errors. arrrggghhh!

Thanks at least for telling me they should go in PBP3 so I didn't waste my time in Microchip