whats happened to this forum

Closed Thread

Default whats happened to this forum

I can't believe how quiet this forum is these days.

When I was last posting in 2009 - 2011 the board would be really busy, with responses to a post in hours, and major contributors like Darrel, Aliane and Steve (Mr.E) would seem to be trying to out do each other in a race to be the first to resolve an issue for the user. Now it seems that you might get a reply or suggestion to your post a few days later, if you're lucky.

It's a shame really as this was a fantastic place to hang out, and the support and experience you got was excellent. Is it that people don't use PBP now as much as they used to to program chip, or has the owners of the forum adapted a different strategy and refrained those who moderate the board from giving too much support away for free ?

Just an observation...

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: whats happened to this forum

everyone's still here, but imo, most questions have already been asked and those with problems, and those that have problems, they've discovered the forum search function. :P
    Ive seen everyone still here.

It may well be the case, but I don't think that every question that could be asked has been asked as you imply. If it was such a case then I would welcome input from anyone with a link to the answer to my problem. Better that than the post being ignored so to speak.

I've searched for info on a particular USB issue I'm having.... can't find an answer. I've posted the full code late last night (or early hours of this morning GMT) - when I last looked there wasn't a comment or suggestion even with 130 views. - It just seems to me that the board is generally a lot quieter than it used to be.

I think too the forum is more quiet these days. Maybe for a tons of reasons, but surely not for the one you implied.

People are busy, in different time zones, or taking some time off. You cannot stand over the latest post and see what every one asks, do you?

Everyone has a life, and this life is not in the forum. After all there were so many questions and problems asked and solved that is almost certain, if you search, that you may get your help or even the exact answer.

The forum has a whealth of information and because of this huge size, maybe it is difficult to find what you search for.

On the other hand contributors are always here. Just be patient...

Ioannis

Well ... you have a program you've been working on for a couple years.
    It's using known working USB code, but it doesn't use that code the way it was originally written.
    The PC side program was not posted, so it has to be recreated.
    The hardware doesn't match up with existing development boards, so it also has to be recreated.
    The program is 650 lines long, and you posted it yesterday.

Is it really fair to complain that it hasn't been solved overnight?
    Last edited by Darrel Taylor; - 18th February 2013 at 15:47.
    DT

I won't post if I don't have anything remotely helpful.

Hey Darrel,

It's not so much of a complaint as an observation....

I don't come on here expecting it to be fixed.... but seek advice from those more knowledgable as to where I should be looking in a bid to resolve the issue. I could post the PC exe up, but can't see how that would help as I don't have the source files that it was compiled from. I don't know enough about USB communications to deduce why the PC / PIC can communicate in one direction only without reporting an error. Hence the post. I've only been working on this over the past couple of weeks - The code was written by a 3rd party using 2.60 and used different hardware, albeit from the same family, so can't see why it is only working the way it is.

Malcolm

Quote Originally Posted by Ioannis View Post
    I think too the forum is more quiet these days. Maybe for a tons of reasons, but surely not for the one you implied.

People are busy, in different time zones, or taking some time off. You cannot stand over the latest post and see what every one asks, do you?

Everyone has a life, and this life is not in the forum. After all there were so many questions and problems asked and solved that is almost certain, if you search, that you may get your help or even the exact answer.

The forum has a whealth of information and because of this huge size, maybe it is difficult to find what you search for.

On the other hand contributors are always here. Just be patient...

Ioannis
    Oh I agree that we all have other things going on in their lives and are not monitoring the board to respond to every post the moment it's posted. - Please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing folk for not posting replies, it was just an observation that in the past, people would comment on the subject, or respond and suggest possible causes or fixes more readily than of late, and a speculation as to why. If I got it wrong, then apologies. One thing for sure, this thread has prompted a fare response

Quote Originally Posted by Scampy View Post
    One thing for sure, this thread has prompted a fare response
    So, you may rest asured that someone is really watching over. Now, if he/she has something to comment for a case, I am sure he/she will. Me too have posted and in some cases never got even one answer. Sometimes maybe the problem is so unique or difficult that one has to find a solution by his own.

As I said, one has to be patient.

Ioannis
    Last edited by Ioannis; - 18th February 2013 at 16:43.

I can only speak for my self and the way I see it which is like this:
    It is up to ALL users to contribute, share ideas, projects and help each other out around here - not just a handfull "regulars" answering the same question again and again. Ie how to set CONFIG fuses, turn off analog function and explain read-modify-write issues.

Everyone can understand (because everyone's been there) that when you're new to this things like that is hard and when you don't know what the actual problem is it can also be hard to find a previous answer (and the forum search really isn't that great either). The problem (as I see it) is that many users come here with a problem, asks for help, get the problem resolved or even large parts of their program written for them and then vanishes - instead of sticking around, taking what they've learned and use it to help others. Of course there are those who DO just that and that's great!

I totally get it that for many PBP is just a means to an end and once you've presented that 3-phase inverter design to your professor and recieved an A+ you're done. Not everyone is interested in sticking around and returning the favours, helping new newcommers with the same issues they had. God knows I've registred to a forum or two just to ask a simple question and then never visit again. What I don't do though is expect to get anything for nothing even though that's usually exactly what happens - especially here.

Scampy, you said "when I last posted in -09 to -11". What happend then, where did you go, why didn't you stick around asking more questions or even help answering other users questions? I guess you got other things to do - happens to most of us from time to time.

Like I said, just my personal view.

/Henrik.

I know how you feel Henrik, I am fairly new to the forum, and I'm not in school. I am a just a out of work technician trying to learn pic programming. Hopefully it will help me in building more complex electronic equipment, perhaps i can get something manufactured later. I will be sticking around after I learn more, I like to payback those that help me. And hopefully I can provide some good help. Unfortunatly.. hehe I am going to be asking lots of questions and they may seem real strange sometimes. I hope you and others can put up with me, because I do like your advice.

Sometimes questions makes us think a bit further and come up with new ideas. Such cases I have seen here.

Ioannis

This has been the most helpful forum I have ever visited, sometimes absolutely buried in good solutions. We have made tremendous progress with open source pic basic programs. Our published listings include forum links to specific coding procedures. Thanks much to all contributors --

Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.