pbp and linux

Closed Thread

Thread: pbp and linux

Default pbp and linux

I was just curious how many people out there use linux and what IDE they use.

Im working on a project that adds onto gedit's language settings to allow pbp to be used and compiled from.

Just getting opinions from everyone bc I know wine can be used to run pbp and the compilers from in linux, but mcs cant be used bc of the way it's coded, it cant handle passing stuff to the actual compiler. Ive seen that alot of the programmers out there that are used have command line programming software, so the only thing needed to be worked on is the pbp file handling in linux.

just getting everyone's opinion and as soon as I finish this, Ill upload the lang file and how to set everything up.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: pbp and linux

I use gEdit with the highlight mode set to VB.net. Use WINE like you said but set up a *.bat file for the compiling.
    Click on the link in my signature and then the Linux and PBP tab for a little more detail on how I do it.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Well, I know alot of things dont highlight correctly with the vb.net, so I was working on this. here's what I have done so far, just save it to /usr/shared/gtksourceview-2.0/language-specs/ and restart gedit, then all .pbp and .bas files should open with the correct one. I had to put it in the zip file because the forum wouldnt let me upload the .lang file by itself

also I was thinking of using the external tools package to be able to compile everything and program the chips from within gedit.

pbp.lang.zip
    Last edited by Chirpy; - 6th December 2012 at 07:38.

I will give your mod a try.

Just curious, what distro are you running?
    Dave

Im using ubuntu 10.04 still, not too fond of the gnome 3 interface.

ok, got gEdit fully working with integrated compiling! here's how I did it:

First, I installed gEdit's external tools using "sudo apt-get install gedit-plugins",
    Then added the pbp.lang file to /usr/shared/gtksourceview-2.0/language-specs/
    You need to close out of all gEdit windows at this time and restart it to get the new language to show up.
    Finally, I went to gEdit and went to Tools/Manage External Tools, and created an entry called Compile PBP code, and added this into the codebox at the right:

#!/bin/sh
    wine c:/pbp/pbpw -e -s -ac:/Program Files/Microchip/MPASM Suite/MPASMWIN -p12f675 $GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME
    var=$GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME
    var2=${var%???}
    outasm=$var2"ASM"
    wine c:/Program\ Files/Microchip/MPASM\ Suite/mpasmwin /e /l $outasm
    Then finally clicked on the save option in the external tools manager and clicked "current document". Click close out of the external tools options and when your ready to compile your code, just go to tools/external tools/Compile PBP code, and it'll compile everything just right.

Just make sure you change the -12f675 to whatever PIC your using tho and it should work flawlessly. Here's the file again to keep everything organized:

pbp.lang.zip

Ps. mackrackit, using this requires no more premade batch files :P
    Last edited by Chirpy; - 6th December 2012 at 10:09.

sorry ahead of time for the spam posts, but Ive found one issue with the batch file method and my gedit method. when I got to compile a program, if it has configuration switches in it, it'll throw an error, Ive tried it with both my method and the batch method on your site, even used the blinky example to test it. if the pbp or bas file doesnt have that in it, or it's commented out, it'll compile fine.

any ideas why?
    I tried using mpasm 8.51a, 8.84, and 8.88, and they all do the same.

nvm, saw the ; part on your site after searching around a little
    Last edited by Chirpy; - 6th December 2012 at 14:59.

I will guess that you are getting an "overwriting previous address content" error message.
    http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=543
    Post #1 and post #5
    You need to comment the *.inc file for the chip in the PBP directory.
    Dave

yea, already got it solved, saw it on your site earlier.

also, in mplabs, I seem to remember something that placed the configs into your asm file, but I cant remember what it was for the life of me.
    I was just wanting to do that to get all of the fuses, but it's no biggie, I can just look through the mpasm suite folder's *.inc files

but anyways, the mods and such to gedit seem to work as they're supposed to.

ok, I think Ive gotten everything coded correctly and such, I have 2 different programmers, the pikit2 and the k150 programmers, and got both programming on linux and from within gEdit. here's the code to add in to qedit's external tools for the k150:
    #!/bin/sh
    pic="16f628a"
    wine c:/pbp/pbpw -e -s -ac:/Program Files/Microchip/MPASM Suite/MPASMWIN -p$pic $GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME
    var2=${var%???}
    outasm=$var2"ASM"
    wine c:/Program\ Files/Microchip/MPASM\ Suite/mpasmwin /q /e /l $outasm
    outhex=${var2}"HEX"
    picpro.py -p /dev/ttyUSB0 --pic_type=$pic -i $outhex
    I was tired and just copied tetsujin's python programmer software to the main bin dir using "sudo cp *.* /usr/local/bin" from within the programmer's folder, then I could call it as a normal program by just typing picpro.py. here's the link for those people that use the K150 also:
    also, for some reason, when the programmer is waiting for the chip inside qEdit, it shows a warning inside the shell output box, but everything works fine, just ignore it and put your chip in, and it'll work fine.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tets...rogrammer/0.2/

then I added pickit2 by installing the official pk2cmd from microchip's site, and did this mod to the system:
    http://gatemaze.blogspot.com/2009/06...er-ubuntu.html
    This allows you to run pickit2 as a normal user, which is what we want.
    And added this code to the external tools dialog in qEdit:
    #!/bin/sh
    pic="16f628a"
    wine c:/pbp/pbpw -e -s -ac:/Program Files/Microchip/MPASM Suite/MPASMWIN -p$pic $GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME
    var2=${var%???}
    outasm=$var2"ASM"
    outhex=${var2}"HEX"
    pk2cmd -P$pic -F$outhex -M -R
    add the existing post's code into it as "Compile PBP code" and you'll be able to use qEdit as a full ide with built in compiling and direct downloading of the code/hex from within the text editor.
    Last edited by Chirpy; - 7th December 2012 at 04:23.

Post Re: pbp and linux

I updated the pbp.lang file, here's the updated version, which should recognize all pbp and bas files as picbasic pro. Just put it in /usr/share/gtksourceview-2.0/language-specs/
    pbp.lang.zip

also, I know alot of people out there that's just starting out still use the jdm programmers, so here's something for you too using picprog:
    #!/bin/sh
    comport="/dev/ttyS0"
    pic="16f628a"
    var2=${var%???}
    outasm=$var2"ASM"
    outhex=${var2}"HEX"
    picprog --erase --burn --input $outhex --device $pic --p $comport
    Have fun and hope this helps some people that uses linux.
    also, I'd like to see your input on this macrackit btw, see what can be improved or added, I know it'd be nice to add a chip selector in the main program, but not sure how to do that atm.
    Last edited by Chirpy; - 7th December 2012 at 05:52.

for those that are curious about what Ive been working on actually does, this is two screenshots of the mods to gEdit.

Name:  Screenshot-2.png
Views: 6411
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot-3.png
Views: 6455
Size:  107.4 KB

sorry again about the spam posts, and such large pictures.
    I'd like to get everyone's input on this to see what needs improved and such, or what needs changed.
    also, a little bug in the jdm programmer part, add "pic" just before the $pic on the bottom line so it shows pic$pic, then it'll work fine.
    Last edited by Chirpy; - 7th December 2012 at 12:06.

Thanks for sharing your work, I hope to make use of it soon.

As for the new Ubuntu, have you looked into the Cinnamon desktop? I have been using it on my openSUSE box for some time now.
    Dave

no, I havnt, I just prefer the look of gnome 2 tbh, always used it even if it was memory hungry, and rather just stick with it. I honestly hate the look of new OS's tbh, windows 8 is almost unusable for me, same with gnome 3.

if you cant access everything without having to dig through a hundred screens and have to spend first 10 mins trying to figure out how to find the shutdown button, then they need to rethink the GUI interface. also, for linux, I prefer the look of gnome 2 rather than another kde lookalike of windows.

even on my raspberry pi, I have the MATE interface on it.
    Last edited by Chirpy; - 7th December 2012 at 12:38.

This thread implies PBP is compatible with Linux.
    Is this truly the case? Am I missing something?
    If so future versions of FineLineIDE could be made compatible with Linux.

Norm

Hi Norm,

PBP works fine in Linux running under WINE. I have not tried PBP3 yet with WINE but I do not see why it would not work.

How hard would it be to port FL to Linux?
    Dave

I spoke to soon.
    It's Mac I could port to with an upgrade to Delphi XE3.
    Linux is on the Delphi timeline however.

Norm

I thought about getting together with a friend and trying to completely redesign an IDE using java, then you can use it cross platform, but the guy that writes java, he's going through exams atm. Ill keep everyone in the loop to see where it goes. also, Im pretty sure that if I had a little time with the source code, I could probably get it working with the normal delphi compilers in linux, but all up to you norm.

for now, I was just using gEdit bc Ive gotten used to programming in it with python and php. also, Ive seen a ton of posts from the last few years asking about IDE support in linux, but never got any real answers except mackrackit's .bat files, and figured I'd offer an alternative so people arent so pushed away from trying to program pbp stuff in linux.
    Last edited by Chirpy; - 8th December 2012 at 02:44.

At least Mono & QT are cross plateform but far far away of Delphi. There's already some cross plateform IDE base like Netbeans (your beloved MPLAB X ), Eclipse to name only but those. They're slow, and far far away of being bug free
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

if my friend isnt up to helping with the java based ide, I may just write python/pyqt4 interface, I know alot about programming interfaces using that. I use those two to write interfaces for controlling my PIC projects and interfacing with the computer/network all the time. after this weekend, Ill know on my friend, but Im not really holding my breath on it.

Ill see what can be done to start on the python/pyqt4 ide first and see how hard it would be to write everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirpy View Post
    if my friend isnt up to helping with the java based ide, I may just write python/pyqt4 interface, I know alot about programming interfaces using that. I use those two to write interfaces for controlling my PIC projects and interfacing with the computer/network all the time. after this weekend, Ill know on my friend, but Im not really holding my breath on it.

Ill see what can be done to start on the python/pyqt4 ide first and see how hard it would be to write everything out.
    Developing a simple IDE isn't difficult it's adding all the features that is huge.
    Sort of like comparing notebook to Microsoft Word.

FineLineIDE is currently 79,194 lines of code including normal blank lines.

Norm

I know, but just take it one day at a time and line by line of code and it'll get done sooner than later

well, Ive honestly gotten used to using gedit as the default editor, so I might as well try to design a plugin that allows you to select the chip without having to recode the external tool's mods, that's the only thing that Ive found that is kinda lacking imo, but with a little research, itll get built in eventually seeing that alot of the gedit plugins were written in python, so might as well finish the whole setup there. also, like Ive said many times before, any input on what you guys think is more than welcome

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit View Post
    Hi Norm,

PBP works fine in Linux running under WINE. I have not tried PBP3 yet with WINE but I do not see why it would not work.

How hard would it be to port FL to Linux?
    I am new to Linux and Wine and only know the Wikipedia description:
    Wine is a free and open source software application that aims to allow applications designed for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems.
    Does FL not run in Linux under Wine?

Norm

FL kinda runs, but keeps refreshing every time you try to click on something, and the refreshing takes forever. sometimes, the options and such dont even show up, and the thing just mega tax's your processor and the computer starts sounding like it's wanting to die.

I tried it a while back and it wasnt even usable due to the refreshing, it takes around a second for the refresh, and it does it every time you click on something or move your mouse over something. I tried setting it up to use it with pbp in the options, and the text on the screen kept dissappearing and you couldnt see what was going on. also I think part of it was maybe the custom theme that the program has.

might just be me, but I found it to be completely unusable for linux.

also, Ive heard that freepascal will open the delphi xe3 files and easily works on linux, but not entirely sure about that.
    Last edited by Chirpy; - 9th December 2012 at 17:35.

FL kinda runs, but keeps refreshing every time you try to click on something, and the refreshing takes forever. sometimes, the options and such dont even show up, and the thing just mega tax's your processor and the computer starts sounding like it's wanting to die.

I tried it a while back and it wasnt even usable due to the refreshing, it takes around a second for the refresh, and it does it every time you click on something or move your mouse over something.
    The refreshing is FL parsing each line of PBP code for changes before redrawing the bracketing.

It sounds like Wine/Linux suffers a severe loss of speed.
    Perhaps Wine is using a good amount of CPU cycles to be able to run windows applications on Linux?

Does Microcode Studio not run in Wine?

Norm

microcode studio does run, but you cant compile because of the way it's coded, it wont be able to compile the code. it's written in a way that it cant find the pbp compiler, even tho you point it right at it. also, I believe that part of the issue is with PM.EXE and wine refusing to run it due to it trying to access the first part of the 16 bit memory locations that linux has locked down so nothing bad can attack the system.

if you do get it to find the compiler tho, which takes a good bit of wine registry hacking, Ive still never been able to get it to work, it usually just outputs an "out of memory" error while compiling, or if using mplab to compile, it causes it to just sit there doing nothing as if it was stuck in an endless loop.

also, I dont have much trouble with any other programs under wine with the refreshing like that, I was thinking that it could be something to do with the custom theme'ing that you had in FL, Im not entirely sure tbh. I run quite a few other programs in wine including proteus electronics studio, and a few games, and never experience the refresh problems.
    Last edited by Chirpy; - 9th December 2012 at 18:14.

microcode studio does run, but you cant compile because of the way it's coded, it wont be able to compile the code. it's written in a way that it cant find the pbp compiler, even tho you point it right at it. also, I believe that part of the issue is with PM.EXE and wine refusing to run it due to it trying to access the first part of the 16 bit memory locations that linux has locked down so nothing bad can attack the system.

if you do get it to find the compiler tho, which takes a good bit of wine registry hacking, Ive still never been able to get it to work, it usually just outputs an "out of memory" error while compiling, or if using mplab to compile, it causes it to just sit there doing nothing as if it was stuck in an endless loop.

also, I dont have much trouble with any other programs under wine with the refreshing like that, I was thinking that it could be something to do with the custom theme'ing that you had in FL, Im not entirely sure tbh. I run quite a few other programs in wine including proteus electronics studio, and a few games, and never experience the refresh problems.
    I don't know if this will help but the custom theme'ing or skins option can be switched off if options works or open the FineLineIDE.ini file in the same directory as FineLineIDE.exe and manually set "Skin=None" without the parentheses.
    Almost all the options can be set manually in the ini if need be.
    A comparison with another setup of FL's ini could also be helpful.

Norm

ok, I just tried it with Skin=None and the skins are still there, and it still is the same way. I dont think it's going to run on linux/wine. I think the only alternative is recompiling using freepascal, which I did look into it and it does open up those xe3 files, also it cross compiles to windows/linux/osx x86.
    Last edited by Chirpy; - 10th December 2012 at 04:00.

I just tried FineLine on my openSUSE box and did not have the refreshing problem but the menue bar was invisible.

Also tried installing PBP3 and did not have any luck due to the activation process. I did not play with it too much though, I am sure that there is a way...

So I guess we have to decide if it is worth it. I have been running Virtual Box with an XP install for the last year or so to get around issues like these. Works well if your hardware is up to it.

Linux/Window... different tools for different jobs. But it is frustrating the way the most popular OSs are going with Ubuntu and Unity and Windows with the tiles. I know there are ways around these but...
    Dave

yea, the tiles is what bugs me most. I think I rather just finish up my gedit mods and use that, pretty much every other programming language uses gEdit also in linux, so I might as well just add it in and get it working. makes it easier to do everything up in anyways. I always used gedit to mess with python stuff rather than IDLE because it starts faster and does the same thing more or less, also I end up usually just starting the programs from the command line with python. so gedit works better for me with that.

also, Ive never used pbp3 because of the new keywords and such, also most of the code out there is still using pbp 2 for everything, so I just stick with my 2.6 version that I have. I know that the old code probably should work with the 3.x but why upgrade when you already have something that works good :P

atm, as far as I can tell, everything works in gedit for compiling, code highlighting, and all of those features. The compiling and burning using pickit2 works too, Ive used it a few times to upload code to my robot. The only thing that isnt implemented yet is a chip selector, but anyone who programs stuff in linux and have gotten this far should probably be able to get back into external tool's manager, and just change the chip name there, where they added in the scripts. nothing too hard and it is changable, and quite easy at that imo.

I know the scripts are in the ~/.gnome2/gedit/tools/ so it shouldn't be too hard to just write a program to be called up and modify that value in the code in those scripts.

little by little, it'll get finished
    Last edited by Chirpy; - 10th December 2012 at 06:23.

ok, went through and fine tuned everything with pickit2 part, just change it to this and it should work perfectly.

#!/bin/sh
    pic="16f628a"
    var2=${var%???}
    outasm=$var2"ASM"
    outhex=${var2}"HEX"
    pk2cmd -B/usr/share/pk2/ -PPIC$pic -F$outhex -M -R
    I just wrote some code to my robot a few mins using this and the pickit2, so I know it works fine now. found out I needed to include the device file path and PIC to -PPIC$pic part.

here's the updated JDM part too:
    #!/bin/sh
    comport="/dev/ttyS0"
    pic="16f628a"
    var2=${var%???}
    outasm=$var2"ASM"
    outhex=${var2}"HEX"
    picprog --erase --burn --input $outhex --device pic$pic --p $comport
    also, here's the new and easier version of compile pbp code command.
    #!/bin/sh
    pic="16f628a"
    var2=${var%???}
    outasm=$var2"ASM"
    in both of these, just change the 16f628a in the quotation marks at the top to change the chip, it's as simple as that now.
    sorry about the mixup, had to reinstall linux on here a few days ago, so had to work out all of the little bugs
    Last edited by Chirpy; - 17th December 2012 at 23:44.