Inverter question

Closed Thread

Default Inverter question

I have some 24V inverters (24VDC to 110AC) and I thought someone on here could answer my questions.

1. I see there are modified and pure sine wave inverters. What devices need modified or pure sine waves?

2. I have a battery that is 102 VDC. I can disconnect it to get 24VDC at four different points. If I don't disconnect it, would there be any electrical issues if I just attach the inverters to each battery? Would that cause some type of ground loop?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Inverter question

A modified inverter would be good enough for most of your needs. A pure sine inverter produces an almost perfect sine wave close to what you get from your utility power company. These inverters are necessary for power sencitive equipment.

For your second question, some type of drawing or diagram would be helpful in order to answer it. However, what you are proposing to do doesn't sound too safe.
    "No one is completely worthless. They can always serve as a bad example."

Anonymous

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Inverter question

Connecting to a single battery that is part of a 'bank' will seriously affect the re-charging process and result in overcharging of other cells and their fast demise. Don't do it.

Not a lot of people appreciate that lots of modern electronic equipment will happily accept a DC input directly (I'm talking items that are, or have, SMPS front-ends here so unless you know what you're doing then DON'T just connect a DC supply to equipment without making the necessary checks).

Here in the UK a DC supply will power laptops, PC's, TV's etc (consider that the standard AC supply (240V) is rectified before being 'chopped' in most SMPS units then doing the rectification BEFORE it enters the SMPS has no appreciable effect). You can probably get away with 120V to 350V DC since the SMPS's I'm 'looking at' accept anywhere from 90-260VAC input.

NOT FOR THE 'EXPERIMENTER' - KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING BEFORE TRYING THIS!!!!!

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.