How slow is pic basic pro

Closed Thread

Default How slow is pic basic pro

How fast is pic basic pro in relation to other languages, c asm etc. Are we talking orders of magnitude or a minor speed increase. Im currently playing with mp3 + colour graphic displays and I need more speed.

Sphere.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: How slow is pic basic pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    How fast is pic basic pro in relation to other languages, c asm etc. Are we talking orders of magnitude or a minor speed increase. Im currently playing with mp3 + colour graphic displays and I need more speed.

Sphere.
    I think the speed you need is more likely to be found in the series of PIC rather than the compiler.
    mp3 + color graphics may require a DSP.

Norm

PBP is fast for most operations, and if you need more speed in certain circumstances, you can just code in ASM.

But I don't think you will have luck decoding MP3 in software with any 8 bit chip. When you are dealing with data that is 16 bits or larger, 8 bit processors are less than half as fast as 16 bit devices running the same clock speed.
    Charles Linquist

Im using an mp3 decoder chip to decode the audio but the problem is the data transfer rate the best I can decode is a 64Kbit mono mp3 using hardware spi pulling the data directly from a spi flash chip. Ive even tried a parallel flash chip. But it seems the overhead is pic basic pro. If I do need 16bit pic does anyone know when the new version of pic basc pro would be released. I was told it would be early 2012 but so far no more news.

Sphere.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.