Good Book

Closed Thread

Thread: Good Book

matth Guest

Default Good Book

Can anyone reccommend a good Picbasic book that covers timers and interrupts with examples? So many different ones at Amazon.com that I cannot figure out which one to try.

Matt

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Books on Timers & Interrupts

Hi Matth,

Well it is unfortunate but the few books that are out there all feel that they have to take you through a basic course on what a microcontroller is and its components. After they've taken up half of the book, they give you a few experiments then leave you to yourself and your imagination. I have the following books that have helped me get going:
    PIC Microcontroller Project Book by John Iovine
    I thought this one really helped get me away from Basic Stamps!

PIC BASIC: An introduction by Eric Edwards & Neil Roberts
    This is another good book.

PIC Basic Programming & Projects by Dogan Ibrahim
    This book has some examples of using TMR0 on the 16F84A

Programming PIC Microcontrollers with PICBasic by Chuck Hellebuyck
    This was the second non-assembly language book I bought and it has
    helped me alot. (Thanks Chuck!)

The last book I bought on PIC Basic was "Experimenting with PIC BASIC PRO". This is out of print and unavailable at this time. I got mine from Melanie who put it out as first come first serve. I am working with that book now.

All of the other PIC books out there deal with assembly language programming.

I read this forum at least twice daily for advice. I don't know how long you have been on here but I feel there are about 6 or 7 really good people out there that help alot. They have tried to be patient with the people that write in asking for help but the people asking questions don't provide enough information for them to work with even though the format for asking has been published many times over. Some of these people want to tackle very complicated programs without trying to work their way up and then expect one of the "pros from dover" to jump in and bale them out. I can't blame them as I use to do technical support in my field and it can be very frustrating. Now I spend alot of time reading and testing and reading and testing. What I have built so far in the past 9 months is very impressive to say the least.

It would be nice to see someone do some publishing of how to type manuals without all of the basic stuff being repeate over and over again. Maybe when I retire and have some time on my hands I'll sit and write some books.

I will say this though, you have to learn alot on your own. I've just seen an add for a company that is putting on a 3 day PIC BASIC PRO learning course. It costs $1995 for the 3 days and you cover alot of territory and walk away with a set of PICs and an experimenting board as well as the knowledge gained during the course. I'm considering it!

Hope this helps.

BobK.

jessey Guest

Default Anyone know of a good pbp book for writing battery code?

Hi

A few months ago I did a search on the net for PBP books and came across a web site that sold a PBP book that was concerned about writing efficient battery code. I've tried to find the site again and can't seem to find it, would anyone here know of such a book or where I might find it?

Thanks
    jessey

I would like to supplement my modest PBP knowledge with some assembly language skills. Could anyone recommend a book for this subject?

Smile

Hi Dick,

Try "PIC Your Personal Introductory Course" second edition by John Morton. It's one of the few books on PICs that doesn't waste half the book telling you about the number systems and the internal workings of the PIC. It was originally written back in 1998 so it doesn't cover flash memory PICs that there are lots of examples to follow along with.

Enjoy!

BobK

I started with PICs when they still had tubes in them(Not). Before PicBasic, the books that helped me out alot, and that I still refer to, are the PIC book series from Square1 publishing. I think the first is Easy PIC'n. I have the whole series, and refer to them when I need an assembly routine in my PIC code.

Ron

Default Assembly books

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Ivers
    I would like to supplement my modest PBP knowledge with some assembly language skills. Could anyone recommend a book for this subject?
    Here are some good assembly books.
    Wisdom is knowing what path to take next... Integrity is taking it.
    Ryan Miller