LDP8806 RGB LED Light Strip

Closed Thread

Default LDP8806 RGB LED Light Strip

Hello - Has anyone done anything with the LDP8806 RGB light strip? I have seen examples of people using the Arduino, but nothing in PBP. Would love to get something like this up and running for Christmas! Any thoughts? Jeff

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: LDP8806 RGB LED Light Strip

the same problem with me i want to control lpd6801 but i don't know how can i start

Well surely if Arduino can do it so can PBP. the best place to start getting help will be to provide us with more info then just the name. I googled it, but admit to not looking past the first page for a datasheet. So if you can provide a link to the DS, maybe we will be able to help you sort this out.
    -Bert

The glass is not half full or half empty, Its twice as big as needed for the job!

http://foamcasualty.com/ - Warbird R/C scratch building with foam!

i am sure you found this info , but ill will post it anyways

https://github.com/adafruit/LPD8806

Actually I didn't find that cuz generally I skip over any result that doesn't look like an actual datasheet will be there. But upon following your link and reading several threads, I have come to realize there is no available datasheet for this chip - at least not in english. So it looks like there are 2 choices - port the duino code to PBP, or play guessing games with the part. Assuming it has 4 connections, I would assume that it is an I2C interface.

If this is the case (which you may be able to verify by pouring over the duino code to find the actual method called to talk to it), you can just set up some loops to start sending address/data to see if anything happens. My guess would be an address for each chip maybe then some data describing the color. So I would start by sending FFh to all 127 address's 1 at a time then see if the LED's light up. If none do, try different data going through the entire address selection again.

Not sure if this is helpful or not, I hope it is. Also I hope I don't come off sounding like a smart A$$ - I do not mean too if I do.
    -Bert

The glass is not half full or half empty, Its twice as big as needed for the job!

lpd8803-8806-8809--lpd6803-lpd1101 all the same
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Everyone - Thanks for your posts. I am sorry that I droped out of this, but I am now in Mexico dealing with a family illness. In my spare time, I have scoured all the forums, blogs, posts that I could find and I finally came across some obscure post that broke the ice for me. I will explain what I found... For the LDP8806 LED strip, the thing that threw me off was that there was no "latch" pin. Just 4 wires: +5V, Gnd, Data and Clock. At first, I thought it was I2C, but that did not pan out. I then discovered that you have to send 3 bytes for each LED on the strip (using SHIFTOUT). 1 byte for each of R, G & B. If you want the particular LED to be turned on, the high bit (bit 7) should always be set to 1. The remaining 7 bits will determine the brightness of that LED (that's the nice thing about this chip is that it has built-in PWM). So, if you sent an LED a %10000000, you would activate that LED, but it would be set at 0 brightness (off). Send %11111111 would be on at full strength. OK, lets say you have a 1M strip. That will have 32 RGB LEDs on it and you want the output to be white. You would send:

GreenLED = %11111111
    RedLED = %11111111
    BlueLED = %11111111

for icnt = 1 to 32
    shiftout dp1, cp1, 1, [GreenLED/8, RedLED/8, BlueLED/8]
    Next

That loads all of the LEDs on the strip with the information. Now here's the jewel... To get it to latch (display), you send 3 %00000000's (SHIFTOUT DP1, CP1, 1, [%00000000, %00000000, %00000000]) one time and that gets sent down the line and you now have a bright white strip. That is pretty much it. Now you can use your imagination and get all kinds of cool effects - I have! Hope that helps! Have fun! Jeff

Good stuff Jeff, Thanks for clearing this up!!
    -Bert

Andrewh Guest

The library I used for my LPD8806 strip was here:https://github.com/adafruit/LPD8806

Can you use that with PICBasic Pro?

This looks like fun! Does anyone know the secret to addressing an individual segment on a longer string? If 8 bits are used to address the IC... 1 for the LED itself and 7 for PWM brightness control, where would you address the segment?

Thanks!

Brian

Brian - If you wanted to set LED #213 to red and all the rest to black (off), you would send a single command for a red led and then 212 commands for black and then send the latch comand. Is that what you are asking? Jeff

Yes, thanks very much! I just ordered 3 meters of the LED strip and looking forward to the light show!

Thanks again Jeff!

Brian

daza25 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by longpole001 View Post
    i am sure you found this info , but ill will post it anyways

https://github.com/adafruit/LPD8806

Thanks for that link, that's been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkieman View Post
    Yes, thanks very much! I just ordered 3 meters of the LED strip and looking forward to the light show!

Thanks again Jeff!

Brian
    Ya these lights looks wonderful.. I am thinking of getting them very soon but need to arrange money first.. But will get them soon

Quote Originally Posted by DelbertMedina View Post
    Yes, thanks very much! I just ordered 3 meters of the led lights and looking forward to the light show!

Thanks again Jeff!

Brian

Ya these lights looks wonderful.. I am thinking of getting them very soon but need to arrange money first.. But will get them soon
    got the lights but I am not able to post pics..

You can upload pics to a site like Photobucket, Picasa (I think), etc.

Then you can link to it from here.

Robert

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.