How to test twisted pair (ethernet) cable length

Closed Thread

Default How to test twisted pair (ethernet) cable length

I was wondering if anyone knows how some of the handheld testing devices, like the (Fluke NetTool or now, the Linkrunner series http://www.flukenetworks.com/enterpr...rk-Auto-Tester ) test cable length? On the older NetTool device, I find the measurement helpful, but not extremely accurate. For instance, on a 14.1 feet, I get a measurement of 16 feet with the NetTool. This is close enough for me, to help figure out where old wiring on a 36 acre facility goes. Just wondering how they do it.
    http://www.scalerobotics.com

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: How to test twisted pair (ethernet) cable length

Google 'Time Domain Reflectometer'

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: How to test twisted pair (ethernet) cable length

Quote Originally Posted by ScaleRobotics View Post
    On the older NetTool device, I find the measurement helpful, but not extremely accurate. For instance, on a 14.1 feet, I get a measurement of 16 feet with the NetTool.
    Are you saying the length of the cable from one end of the sheath to the other is 14.1 feet ?

If so the 16 feet measurement could well be correct as the cable is twisted therefore longer. also each pair has a different twist ratio therefore each pair will yeild a different results.

Take two peices of single wire each 10 feet long, tie one end to a chair, put the other in the chuck of a cordless drill and twist it up. then see how long the resultant twisted pair is, it certainly wont be 10 feet.
    Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
    www.kat5.tv

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.