UMC loader application

Closed Thread

Default UMC loader application

I've been away from pics for a year or so. I picked up a 18F2423 for a new project and would like to use a boot loader with the chip.

I recently upgraded to PBP 3 and the new microcode studio with the build your own loader application (UMC).

I've not had any luck getting the boot loader working with the 18F2423 or an 18F252. I followed the instructions best I could, adding the defines for the F2423 in the include file. I'm using the included asm file edited for the F2423 and using mpasm to assemble the file.
    I have also edited the ASM file to include setting the appropriate port pin direction and I/O as the instructions show. I don't think this is necessary as the EUSART pins seem to always be digital.

I have configured the Rx/Tx pins for inputs and outputs respectively. Also the data sheet says to set both Rx and Tx to inputs and the EUSART will take care of switching them to the proper configuration. I've also made sure to set the SPEN bit. Tried lots of configurations over the last week or so.

I used the boot loader file that was included with Microcode on a 16F876 chip and everything worked fine. This let me know my hardware/IDE/Loader was working. I am using a RS232 converter chip (DS275)

Thanks,
    Steve

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: UMC loader application

I forgot to include, I've got the F2423 blinking an led and have the HSEROUT/HSERIN instructions working. Pic is running with 20 MHx crystal.
    Thanks again

You might want to look at the ds30 bootloader.

Thanks Dave, that is an interesting site. I have the UMC loader application working, after banging my head for way to long I figured out that the Microcode loader application had two different programming modes. There is a button to select that UMC firmware is being used....Argh..
    Thanks again

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.