Accurate control of stepper motor

Closed Thread

Default Accurate control of stepper motor

Hello All,
    I am trying to accurately control the position of a stepper motor using either a variable resistor or maybe some type of rotary encoder. I have written the code and have had some luck
    but I can't seem to get my system operating right, mostly I think because I'm using the POT command and variable resistor. The ideal system would turn the stepper motor 1/2 turn with the full swing of the variable resistor or encoder, and then slowly return to its original position as the v. resistor is turned back down. There are probably separate controllers that already do this but I prefer banging my head against the wall. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Accurate control of stepper motor

You will have better luck using the ADC command, the POT command is not always best. And make sure the variable resistor is linear, it will be easier to code for.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Well, if you want to bang your head a little harder, have you considered using a rotary encoder instead of a pot? Then you don't have to worry about linearity, ADC, pot reaching end of travel, etc.

Count the pulses going, and then back. Something like these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....m=380410565135

I have yet to use one of these so I can't comment on their downsides. My order should get here any day.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Well, if you want to bang your head a little harder, have you considered using a rotary encoder instead of a pot? Then you don't have to worry about linearity, ADC, pot reaching end of travel, etc.

Count the pulses going, and then back. Something like these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....m=380410565135

I have yet to use one of these so I can't comment on their downsides. My order should get here any day.

Robert
    Hi Robert;

I used one of those this last days. They are not bad for the price. I'll put the code as soon as i can on the wiki.
    Thanks and Regards;
    Gadelhas

You can Find the code for reading a two channels optical encoder (in quadrature) @ http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12911

Post 28 or 27.

Cheers

Al.
    All progress began with an idea

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.