Back from 6 yrs away - best in circuit programmer/breadboard?

Closed Thread

Default Back from 6 yrs away - best in circuit programmer/breadboard?

Hi all, I have been away from PicBasic Pro for 6 years or so (version 2.45). I was using a BasicMicro 0818 Rev B board for easy in circuit and development. I see they now have a rev D version.

What is the latest and greatest in the world of PicBasic programmers for experimenting and debugging. I am looking for something that I can plug in a chip, wire it easily to a solderless breadboard, program it, debug it - all on one board. I would like something that is commonly used so that I get better support. The BasicMicro was OK, but if I didn't have Bruce around I was doomed.

thanks!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Back from 6 yrs away - best in circuit programmer/breadboard?

The PICKit3 is probably a good bet. It's pretty cheap, supports all PICs (atleast those that PBP can compile for). It's easily integrated in MicroCodeStudio for one click compile-and-program, it is integrated in MPLAB (obviosuly since it's a native Microchip programmer) for source level debugging (if you know your way around MPLAB) and has a stand-alone application as well. I've got one, but except for my 15 years old PICStart+ it's the only one so I don't have much to compare with.

Another tick for the Pickit (although I still have pickit 2).
    I have also come and gone over time, but last year was my first year of in-circuit programming and I'm not going back!
    Yay to not having to pull chips in & out to put them in a programmer!

Cool - do you have it attached to an experimeters board - like a solderless breadboard or something?

I'll give a plug for Melab's U2 programmer. I think it cost more than the Pickit programmers. But, I like the pull down configuration menu for each pic. No more @'s and under scores. It also comes with Darrel, Chuck, and Jeff.

What ever you decide you should read this

http://melabs.com/support/icsp.htm

Quote Originally Posted by PickyPerson View Post
    Cool - do you have it attached to an experimeters board - like a solderless breadboard or something?
    No, a soldered protoboard.
    But it connects to pin headers, so you only need a strip of header pins to plug either pickit into a breadboard.

See the connector?

Got - it - thanks! PicKit3 on its way!

I too vote for use of Pickit2 for incircuit programming via ICSP on a 6-pin header. I always put a 6-pin header onto every prototype PCB I make for programming and debugging while using Pickit2. And I have to say if you can still buy a Pickit2, buy it rather than a Pickit3....Pickit3 has had many, many problems reported in its use. Pickit2 was time proven.
    John

Hi John,
    Can you elaborate on a problem or two with the PK3?

I mean, I've seen the video and all that but I haven't had much trouble with mine. I kind of bricked it once when I was using the stand alone software but was able to regain control of it by redownloading the OS. Appart from that it's been working perfectly. I'm sure there ARE problems with it - as it most likely is with other programmers as well - but the PK3 product is alive and they (Microchip) are supporting it, if I'm not mistaken.

I've read various reports on newer PIC models not being supported by the older PK2 but I'm not sure if that involves the stand-alone software, MPLAB, both or none.

/Henrik.

The PIC Kit 2 is still available. I don't use PICKit, but was planning on picking up the PICKit 3 soon. Maybe I will have to do more research on them. Here is a link to the PICKit 2 from mouser.
    Shawn

I use the Melabs U2 programmer for ICSP.

I made my own ICSD using the schematic that is floating around.

Robert

The PICkit2 is now "static".
    No new parts are being added to it.

Already, there are many parts that the PICkit2 cannot program.
    All new devices are only added to the PICkit 3.

If you are buying one now, get the PICkit 3.

I have a PICkit 2, PICkit 3, ICD 3 and melabs U2 on my desk.
    Only the U2 is ever used. With the exception of troubleshooting for someone else that is using a PICkit.
    DT

Thanks gang. I have a PicKit3 on its way. I also ordered a MicroBasic 0818 dev board. I used one quite a while back (when I had a pickit1). I sure liked it for experimentation.

Hey Picky,

I think that Microchip may have fixed most of the problems with the PICKIT3... (I do not have the 3 so someone else can correct me) but I have linked to two videos on youtube that give a look at the early problems with the 3 version.

The first video was posted back in '09 and the second video is Microchips (quite funny) response to the critique.

take a look...

Last edited by Heckler; - 26th January 2012 at 22:28.
    Dwight
    These PIC's are like intricate puzzles just waiting for one to discover their secrets and MASTER their capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsson View Post
    Hi John,
    Can you elaborate on a problem or two with the PK3?
    Henrick, I shied away from PICKIT3 because of the videos and also a couple of postings of problems with it that I can no longer find. But I can't point to any personal problems with it because I never bought one...just stayed with my time proven PICKIT2.

In reading the posts below it sounds like I had better consider trading up to PICKIT3...or maybe an melabs U3. Have never studied the melabs U3 that DT mentions.....does it let you do incircuit programming via ICSP header?
    Regards, John

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    take a look...

Great stuff. Dave is sooo funny when he goes on a rant.

Quote Originally Posted by jellis00 View Post

In reading the posts below it sounds like I had better consider trading up to PICKIT3...or maybe an melabs U3. Have never studied the melabs U3 that DT mentions.....does it let you do incircuit programming via ICSP header?
    Regards, John
    It's a U2 and yes you can ICSP via header.

Quote Originally Posted by jellis00 View Post
    I too vote for use of Pickit2 for incircuit programming via ICSP on a 6-pin header. I always put a 6-pin header onto every prototype PCB I make for programming and debugging while using Pickit2. And I have to say if you can still buy a Pickit2, buy it rather than a Pickit3....Pickit3 has had many, many problems reported in its use. Pickit2 was time proven.
    John
    In fact Microchip still sells the PICKit 2, or you can buy a Clone from Sure Electronics on eBay for about 1/2 the price. My old PICKit2 failed and I bought a clone replacement and it is good.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.