Back from 6 yrs away - best in circuit programmer/breadboard?

Closed Thread

Hybrid View

Default Back from 6 yrs away - best in circuit programmer/breadboard?

Hi all, I have been away from PicBasic Pro for 6 years or so (version 2.45). I was using a BasicMicro 0818 Rev B board for easy in circuit and development. I see they now have a rev D version.

What is the latest and greatest in the world of PicBasic programmers for experimenting and debugging. I am looking for something that I can plug in a chip, wire it easily to a solderless breadboard, program it, debug it - all on one board. I would like something that is commonly used so that I get better support. The BasicMicro was OK, but if I didn't have Bruce around I was doomed.

thanks!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Back from 6 yrs away - best in circuit programmer/breadboard?

The PICKit3 is probably a good bet. It's pretty cheap, supports all PICs (atleast those that PBP can compile for). It's easily integrated in MicroCodeStudio for one click compile-and-program, it is integrated in MPLAB (obviosuly since it's a native Microchip programmer) for source level debugging (if you know your way around MPLAB) and has a stand-alone application as well. I've got one, but except for my 15 years old PICStart+ it's the only one so I don't have much to compare with.

Another tick for the Pickit (although I still have pickit 2).
    I have also come and gone over time, but last year was my first year of in-circuit programming and I'm not going back!
    Yay to not having to pull chips in & out to put them in a programmer!

Cool - do you have it attached to an experimeters board - like a solderless breadboard or something?

I'll give a plug for Melab's U2 programmer. I think it cost more than the Pickit programmers. But, I like the pull down configuration menu for each pic. No more @'s and under scores. It also comes with Darrel, Chuck, and Jeff.

What ever you decide you should read this

http://melabs.com/support/icsp.htm

Quote Originally Posted by PickyPerson View Post
    Cool - do you have it attached to an experimeters board - like a solderless breadboard or something?
    No, a soldered protoboard.
    But it connects to pin headers, so you only need a strip of header pins to plug either pickit into a breadboard.

See the connector?

Got - it - thanks! PicKit3 on its way!

I too vote for use of Pickit2 for incircuit programming via ICSP on a 6-pin header. I always put a 6-pin header onto every prototype PCB I make for programming and debugging while using Pickit2. And I have to say if you can still buy a Pickit2, buy it rather than a Pickit3....Pickit3 has had many, many problems reported in its use. Pickit2 was time proven.
    John

Thanks gang. I have a PicKit3 on its way. I also ordered a MicroBasic 0818 dev board. I used one quite a while back (when I had a pickit1). I sure liked it for experimentation.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.