4 Wire resistive touch screen, Need help

Closed Thread

Default 4 Wire resistive touch screen, Need help

Hi, I have been trying to figure out the 4 wire resistive touch screen concept from last few days. Though I have kind of understood the basics of how it operates, but need some jump start on the PBP code side of it. I am struggling to understand on what to do exactly to get the X,Y co-ordinates, how to turn an analog input pin to provide full 5V? may be there is a separate circuit to it or not. A brief idea of the code to start with will be a great help, I have few 16f676 to play with and will try them to get the ball rolling. Thanks

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: 4 Wire resistive touch screen, Need help

Hmmmm , I am trying to post some code but when I go back to the editing window all I see is the following, everything after "TRISA =" is missing.

START:
    '################ START READING AVERAGE PRESSURE VALUE ################
    TRISA =
    "No one is completely worthless. They can always serve as a bad example."

Anonymous

1. Click on GO ADVANCED at bottom right.

2. Click on the leftmost icon, it is two A; it will say SWITCH EDITOR TO SOURCE MODE when you mouse over.

3. Click on the CODE icon at far right in the middle row.

4. Paste your code within those tags.

WYSIWYG mode gives unpredictable results when you paste code, always switch to source mode first.

Robert

Well, I tried in a second computer and it didn't work either. Somehow when I copy-paste the code from MCS into the editor window and press the button "Go Advanced" all the code after "TRISA =" is missing in my editor window and the window kind of freezes up. Is this some kind of bug, because I tried it in two different computers? So, I will attach the code as a txt file.

Megahertz,

I wrote a program a while back to control a 4-wire touchscreen in a 320x240 color GLCD. The program worked great. I used a PIC18F4550. The wiring that I used was

PortA.0, AN0 ---> X+
    PortA.1, AN1 ---> X-
    PortA.2, AN2 ---> Y+
    PortA.3, AN4 ---> Y-

First, you need to "monitor" the touchscreen to find out if it has been touched. Then if it has been touched you find the coordinates for the point were the screen was touched.

Also, in this program I had a calibration routine. I displayed in the screen two crosses, one at the upper left corner and the other one at the lower right corner. The user had to touch one cross first and then the other cross to save the optimum parameters for the touchscreen.

The program is attached as a txt file. Review the program and if you have any questions let me know.

Touchscreen_Code.txt

Robert

Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    1. Click on GO ADVANCED at bottom right.

2. Click on the leftmost icon, it is two A; it will say SWITCH EDITOR TO SOURCE MODE when you mouse over.

3. Click on the CODE icon at far right in the middle row.

4. Paste your code within those tags.

WYSIWYG mode gives unpredictable results when you paste code, always switch to source mode first.

Robert
    Wow, that fixed it. It was driving me nuts . Thank you.

Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by rsocor01 View Post
    Wow, that fixed it. It was driving me nuts . Thank you.

1. Click on SETTINGS at top right.

2. Click on General Settings at left.

3. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Options.

4. Select Standard Editor.

You will now be in SOURCE mode by default when you post and not have to worry about code.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rsocor01 View Post
    The program is attached as a txt file. Review the program and if you have any questions let me know.
    Tadaa!

Code:
    '****************************************************************
    '*         MAIN PROGRAM                                         *

START:

TRISA = %00001001           ' Set Y+ (portA.2, AN2) and X- (portA.1, AN1) as outputs 
                                    ' and Y- (portA.3, AN3) and X+ (portA.0, AN0) as inputs 

low PORTA.1                 ' Set X- = 0V    
        high PORTA.2                ' Set Y+ = 5V     
        ADCON0 = %00000001          ' Bits(5-2): 0000=AN0. Start sampling at X+   
        pauseus 10        
        ADCON0.1 = 1                ' Stops or continues sampling depending on ADCON2 bits(5-3), 
                                    ' then begins conversion         

GOSUB CONVERSION_ROUTINE    ' Obtain value for A/D conversion resolution
        PRESSURE_XP = RESOLUTION    ' Obtain PRESSURE_XP from X+ sampling, X- = 0V, and Y+ = 5V  

ADCON0 = %00001101          ' Bits(5-2): 0011=AN3. Start sampling at Y-   
        pauseus 10        
        ADCON0.1 = 1                ' Stops or continues sampling depending on ADCON2 bits(5-3), 
                                    ' then begins conversion         

PRESSURE_YM = RESOLUTION    ' Obtain PRESSURE_YM from Y- sampling, X- = 0V, and Y+ = 5V 

IF (PRESSURE_XP > 24) AND (PRESSURE_YM < 1000) THEN         ' THE TOUCHSCREEN HAVE BEEN TOUCHED         
            GOSUB READ_COORDINATES
            gosub CALIBRATE_TOUCHSCREEN 
        ENDIF      

LCDOUT $FE, 1                                                       ' Clear LCD                               
        LCDOUT $FE,2,"X=",DEC5 X_VALUE,", Y=",DEC5 Y_VALUE                  ' DISPLAYS A/D CONVERSION VALUES            
        LCDOUT $FE,$C0,"P1=",DEC4 PRESSURE_XP,", P2=",DEC4 PRESSURE_YM   

GOTO START

'*         READ X AND Y VALUES SUBROUTINE                       *
    READ_COORDINATES:
        ' PORTA.0 (AN0) -> X+
        ' PORTA.1 (AN1) -> X-
        ' PORTA.2 (AN2) -> Y+
        ' PORTA.3 (AN3) -> Y-

'################ READ AVERAGE X-VALUE ################

TRISA = %00000011                   ' Set X+ (portA.0, AN0) and X- (portA.1, AN1) as inputs 
                                            ' and Y+ (portA.2, AN2) and Y- (portA.3, AN3) as outputs 

low PORTA.3                         ' Set Y- = 0V    
        high PORTA.2                        ' Set Y+ = 5V      
        ADCON0 = %00000001                  ' Bits(5-2): 0000=AN0. Start sampling at X+    
        pauseus 10        
        ADCON0.1 = 1                        ' Stops or continues sampling depending on ADCON2 bits(5-3), 
                                            ' then begins conversion         
        GOSUB CONVERSION_ROUTINE            ' Obtain value for A/D conversion resolution  
        X_VALUE = RESOLUTION                ' Obtain X_VALUE from X+ sampling, Y- = 0V, and Y+ = 5V  

ADCON0 = %00000101                  ' Bits(5-2): 0001=AN1. Start sampling at X-    
        pauseus 10        
        ADCON0.1 = 1                        ' Stops or continues sampling depending on ADCON2 bits(5-3), 
                                            ' then begins conversion          
        GOSUB CONVERSION_ROUTINE            ' Obtain value for A/D conversion resolution   
        X_VALUE = (X_VALUE + RESOLUTION)      ' Obtain X_VALUE from X- sampling, Y- = 0V, and Y+ = 5V  

'################ READ AVERAGE Y-VALUE ################    

TRISA = %00001100                   ' Set X+ (portA.0, AN0) and X- (portA.1, AN1) as outputs 
                                            ' and Y+ (portA.2, AN2) and Y- (portA.3, AN3) as inputs 

low PORTA.1                         ' Set X- = 0V    
        high PORTA.0                        ' Set X+ = 5V      
        ADCON0 = %00001001                  ' Bits(5-2): 0010=AN2. Start sampling at Y+    
        pauseus 10        
                                            ' then begins conversion         
        Y_VALUE = RESOLUTION                ' Obtain Y_VALUE from Y+ sampling, X- = 0V, and X+ = 5V    

ADCON0 = %00001101                  ' Bits(5-2): 0011=AN3. Start sampling at Y-    
        pauseus 10        
                                            ' then begins conversion         
        Y_VALUE = (Y_VALUE + RESOLUTION)      ' Obtain Y_VALUE from Y- sampling, X- = 0V, and X+ = 5V 

RETURN

'*         CONVERSION SUBROUTINE                                *
    CONVERSION_ROUTINE:
        REPEAT          ' Wait until conversion is finished. When finished ADCON0.1 will be =0        
            PAUSEUS 10
            CONV_STATUS = ADCON0.1    
        UNTIL CONV_STATUS = 0

RESOLUTION.BYTE0 = ADRESL : RESOLUTION.BYTE1 = ADRESH       ' READ A/D CONVERSION VALUE

RETURN

'*         CALIBRATION SUBROUTINE                               *
    CALIBRATE_TOUCHSCREEN:

IF X_VALUE < 250 THEN 
            X_VALUE = 0
        ELSE
            X_VALUE = (X_VALUE - 250) * 22
        ENDIF

IF Y_VALUE < 250 THEN 
            Y_VALUE = 0
        ELSE
            Y_VALUE = (Y_VALUE - 250) * 25
        ENDIF    

IF X_VALUE > 32750 THEN X_VALUE = 32750
        IF Y_VALUE > 32750 THEN Y_VALUE = 32750

X_VALUE = ABS (X_VALUE - 32750)    
        'Y_VALUE = ABS (Y_VALUE - 32750)

RETURN

end
    Robert

Thanks a lot. I am sorry for not replying upto now, I just got my touch screen today (4wire), will study the whole code tonight and update the progress in couple of days. Thanks again for the code.

Okkkk, I have read the code and tried to digest it. Few questions:
    1) Can you please explain how is "Start reading average pressure value" routine is working. Upto now I have only encountered putting 5v on y+ or x+ and corresponding y- or x- to be 0v. What is 5v @ y+ and 0v and x- doing?
    2) Any ideas on how to change the circuit to add an interrupt on RA2 when touchscreen is pressed, unlike monitoring it continuesly?
    3) Please explain the calibrate routine, this is the hardest bit of the code which I am failing to understand.
    Many Thanks

Hi,

I got the theory for this program from a technical paper that I downloaded from the internet and that I can't find right now. I will keep looking for it and posted when I find it. In response to your questions,

1) The "start reading average pressure value" is a procedure to check if the screen has been touched. You monitor the two values for X and Y pressure and if they go outside a given range then that means that the screen has been touched. If you constantly output these two values to a LCD display you'll see what I mean.

2) No, that I know of. The method I used in my program to detect if the screen has been touched is the only method I could find in the internet.

3) I am not in front of my PC right now, and I can't answer that question from the top of my head. I'll get back to you later with this question.

Anonymous

Interesting thread.

About point 2).
    Since it is an analog signal, I cannot see a way of diect interrupt. Only regular interrupts to start analog conversion and check.

Ioannis

Megahertz,

That code I posted above I wrote it some time ago. It was part of a program that sent the touchscreen coordinates to my PC through the USB port to move the mouse cursor. I modified the USBMouse program that came with PBP to send the 4-wire resistive touchscreen coordinates to the PC.

The sub routine "CALIBRATE_TOUCHSCREEN" was actually a way of "converting" the 10-bit ADC reading comming out of the PIC ADC port to the proper pixel coordinates I needed to make the mouse cursor move accross the PC screen. These values were found experimentally, pretty much trial and error. Now, for my 320x240 LCD display with touchscreen I wrote a calibration routine which is a lot more involved than the code that you have above. If you need the code, let me know.

Robert

Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Megahertz View Post
    1) Can you please explain how is "Start reading average pressure value" routine is working. Upto now I have only encountered putting 5v on y+ or x+ and corresponding y- or x- to be 0v. What is 5v @ y+ and 0v and x- doing?
    This application note will help you understand better what is going on.
    http://www.eetasia.com/ARTICLES/2004...URCES=DOWNLOAD

Before you start reading the touchscreen coordinates, you need to know if the screen has been touched. By having 5V at Y+ and 0V at X- you monitor if the screen was touched. The setup is as follows

Name:  Touchscreen01.JPG
Views: 6050
Size:  41.4 KB

And the code is

Code:
    START:

TRISA = %00001001           ' Set Y+ (portA.2, AN2) and X- (portA.1, AN1) as outputs 
                                    ' and Y- (portA.3, AN3) and X+ (portA.0, AN0) as inputs 

low PORTA.1                 ' Set X- = 0V    
        high PORTA.2                ' Set Y+ = 5V     
        ADCON0 = %00000001          ' Bits(5-2): 0000=AN0. Start sampling at X+   
        pauseus 10        
                                    ' then begins conversion         

PRESSURE_XP = RESOLUTION    ' Obtain PRESSURE_XP from X+ sampling, X- = 0V, and Y+ = 5V  

ADCON0 = %00001101          ' Bits(5-2): 0011=AN3. Start sampling at Y-   
        pauseus 10        
                                    ' then begins conversion         

PRESSURE_YM = RESOLUTION    ' Obtain PRESSURE_YM from Y- sampling, X- = 0V, and Y+ = 5V 

IF (PRESSURE_XP > 24) AND (PRESSURE_YM < 1000) THEN         ' THE TOUCHSCREEN HAVE BEEN TOUCHED         
            GOSUB READ_COORDINATES
            gosub CONVERT_TO_PIXELS 
        ENDIF      

LCDOUT $FE, 1                                                       ' Clear LCD                               
        LCDOUT $FE,2,"X=",DEC5 X_VALUE,", Y=",DEC5 Y_VALUE                  ' DISPLAYS A/D CONVERSION VALUES            
        LCDOUT $FE,$C0,"P1=",DEC4 PRESSURE_XP,", P2=",DEC4 PRESSURE_YM   

GOTO START
    If the screen is not touched then the reading for PRESSURE_XP is going to be very close to zero and the reading for PRESSURE_YM is going to be very close to 1024, remember it is a 10-bit ADC. The screen has been touched when the following condition has been met

Code:
    To read the X,Y coordinates you need the following setup.

Name:  Touchscreen02.JPG
Views: 3398
Size:  30.2 KB

And the code is

Code:
    '*         READ X AND Y VALUES SUBROUTINE                       *
    READ_COORDINATES:
        ' PORTA.0 (AN0) -> X+
        ' PORTA.1 (AN1) -> X-
        ' PORTA.2 (AN2) -> Y+
        ' PORTA.3 (AN3) -> Y-

'################ READ AVERAGE X-VALUE ################

TRISA = %00000011                   ' Set X+ (portA.0, AN0) and X- (portA.1, AN1) as inputs 
                                            ' and Y+ (portA.2, AN2) and Y- (portA.3, AN3) as outputs 

low PORTA.3                         ' Set Y- = 0V    
        high PORTA.2                        ' Set Y+ = 5V      
        ADCON0 = %00000001                  ' Bits(5-2): 0000=AN0. Start sampling at X+    
        pauseus 10        
                                            ' then begins conversion         
        X_VALUE = RESOLUTION                ' Obtain X_VALUE from X+ sampling, Y- = 0V, and Y+ = 5V  

ADCON0 = %00000101                  ' Bits(5-2): 0001=AN1. Start sampling at X-    
        pauseus 10        
                                            ' then begins conversion          
        X_VALUE = (X_VALUE + RESOLUTION)      ' Obtain X_VALUE from X- sampling, Y- = 0V, and Y+ = 5V  

'################ READ AVERAGE Y-VALUE ################    

TRISA = %00001100                   ' Set X+ (portA.0, AN0) and X- (portA.1, AN1) as outputs 
                                            ' and Y+ (portA.2, AN2) and Y- (portA.3, AN3) as inputs 

low PORTA.1                         ' Set X- = 0V    
        high PORTA.0                        ' Set X+ = 5V      
        ADCON0 = %00001001                  ' Bits(5-2): 0010=AN2. Start sampling at Y+    
        pauseus 10        
                                            ' then begins conversion         
        Y_VALUE = RESOLUTION                ' Obtain Y_VALUE from Y+ sampling, X- = 0V, and X+ = 5V    

ADCON0 = %00001101                  ' Bits(5-2): 0011=AN3. Start sampling at Y-    
        pauseus 10        
                                            ' then begins conversion         
        Y_VALUE = (Y_VALUE + RESOLUTION)      ' Obtain Y_VALUE from Y- sampling, X- = 0V, and X+ = 5V 

RETURN

'*         CONVERSION SUBROUTINE                                *
    CONVERSION_ROUTINE:
        REPEAT          ' Wait until conversion is finished. When finished ADCON0.1 will be =0        
            PAUSEUS 10
            CONV_STATUS = ADCON0.1    
        UNTIL CONV_STATUS = 0

RESOLUTION.BYTE0 = ADRESL : RESOLUTION.BYTE1 = ADRESH       ' READ A/D CONVERSION VALUE

RETURN
    For the final routine "CONVERT_TO_PIXELS" the constants Ax, Bx, Ay, and By should be found experimentally. They will vary depending on the resolution of the LCD screen. One thing to remember is that the relation of the 4-wire touchscreen readings and the corresponding LCD pixels behaves almost linearly.

Code:
    '*         CONVERT_TO_PIXELS ROUTINE                            *
    CONVERT_TO_PIXELS:

'Ax, Bx, Ay, and By should be found experimentally
        X_VALUE = Ax * X_VALUE + Bx    
        Y_VALUE = Ay * Y_VALUE + By
    RETURN

Anonymous

nevermind, read code few more times...

Robert
    Last edited by Demon; - 7th February 2012 at 01:27.

Makes much more sense now. Thanks a lot for all the info.

I can't see why you'd use an interrupt for a touch screen,
    and if there is a valid reason I'd like to know what it is.

Why not follow the way 2D games work?

1) Draw current frame to screen,

2) Check for user input,

3) act on user input, and apply any movement/calculations for next frame,

4) goto step one.

It would seem if you're using an interrupt, and your program is in the middle of step 3
    while receiving new input you are complicating things.
    Last edited by Art; - 16th February 2012 at 16:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    I can't see why you'd use an interrupt for a touch screen,
    and if there is a valid reason I'd like to know what it is.

Why not follow the way 2D games work?

1) Draw current frame to screen,

2) Check for user input,

3) act on user input, and apply any movement/calculations for next frame,

4) goto step one.

It would seem if you're using an interrupt, and your program is in the middle of step 3
    while receiving new input you are complicating things.
    No, there is no interrupt in the program I posted.

Robert

Anonymous

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.