How to support two (dual) USB ports?

Closed Thread

Hybrid View

Default How to support two (dual) USB ports?

I have a requirement to provide an embedded microcontroller that will download data from two (dual) USB ports and then send the data to a MySQL database on the internet via a WiFi module (I plan on using ConnectOne's iWiFi Minisocket). I know the PIC 18F2550/4550 chips support a single USB port, but I don't believe there is a PIC chip that supports dual USB??
    Has anyone on this forum ever done a dual USB application with one MCU? If so, would appreciate tips on doing so.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: How to support two (dual) USB ports?

I'm curious why complicate matters (that's IF a Pic exists that has dual USB)?

Why not use a master PIC that supports the Wifi module, and have it send messages to two 18F4550 (or whatever USB Pic you prefer)?

Robert

I think there is no PIC with 2 UBS, however you can use the serial port and a converter like FTDI, or any other.
    Thanks and Regards;
    Gadelhas

Curious if you can tell us a little more. Like others have said, either multiple USB PIC chips, or one PIC USB + something like this: http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/3639
    http://www.scalerobotics.com

The USB channels option in the Microchip Advanced Part Selector, MAPS, only has the option of 1 USB channel per chip. Why don't you use two 18F4550 like Robert suggested above?
    "No one is completely worthless. They can always serve as a bad example."

Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by rsocor01 View Post
    The USB channels option in the Microchip Advanced Part Selector, MAPS, only has the option of 1 USB channel per chip. Why don't you use two 18F4550 like Robert suggested above?
    Thanks for that...I didn't think of using MAPS to see if there was a PIC chip with dual USB. Since there isn't I guess my only choices are as follows:

1) Two PIC 18F2550 chips that each manage a USB port, and one of them to also collect the data from the otherone and to send both data elements to the WiFi module for transmission to the internet.
    OR
    2) Two MAX3421E Chips for thetwo USB ports and a PIC chip to collect the data from both MAX3214 chips and to manage the iWiFi module transmissions.

Have any of you actually created an app with one or the other of these approaches? Which approach do each of you think is the easiest to implement? I have a lot of experience with 18F2550 but no experience with MAX3421E so I tend to think I should go with 18F2550.
    Last edited by jellis00; - 17th January 2012 at 05:46.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.