Fix for % within code tags.

Closed Thread

Default Fix for % within code tags.

Can something be done about the % sign being stripped off when posting code within code tags?

Sometimes it happens for me, sometimes it doesn't. This post from one of our moderators have tghe % stripped out for whatever reason.

I'm going to do a couple of tests here....

First test is typing in the code directly in the forum editor:
    Code:
    myBinary = %10101010
    The second test is copy/paste from notepad
    Code:
    myBinary = %10101010
    And the third and final test is copy/paste from MCSP
    Code:
    myBinary = %10101010
    In all three cases the %-sign is visible when writing the post.

/Henrik.

EDIT: See, here it worked just fine in all three cases, yet in Dave post linked above the %-sign in stripped away.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Fix for % within code tags.

Henrik,
    you are not alone...

The loss of the % sign, and also the first couple of digits after the %, happens to me quite often... I mostly post code by copying and pasting from a MicroCode studio window.

It seems to me that this forum has become less and less user friendly over time. Much of Darrel's most excellent examples that (I think) included html (several years worth) have been destroyed and I am guessing he has lost desire to make the effort to be as involved as he has in the past (my opinion).

Another real gripe that I have is the EXTREEMLY limited time allowed to correct and add to posts. Last I checked it was 10 minutes and what really gets me is that I would often go back into a recent post and spend a few more minutes correcting and making more understandable... only to try and submit and be told that the time window has expired... therefore loosing the additions.

Sorry if I sound un-grateful... I know it takes time to moderate a forum... but I think at times the restrictions are a little tight.

And as you pointed out... If we can't reliably and accurately post code examples in a code window then this forum begins to be if limited value. Is it chasing away users?? It seems to me that activity here is dwindling.

Another sore spot for me is the strange emoticons... many of which do not display correctly in IE8, at least for me.
    Last edited by Heckler; - 18th December 2011 at 01:32.
    Dwight
    These PIC's are like intricate puzzles just waiting for one to discover their secrets and MASTER their capabilities.

I'm with you on all points.
    According to the forum owner HTML will never be allowed and was never suposed to be allowed - for security reasons - which I can understand. Problem is it WAS allowed for quite some time during which many good posts were done which are now destroyed.

The editing has also been up for discussion but apparently it won't change for whatever reason. To get around the limited editing time window you use the Preview Post feature but it usually (for me anyway) doesn't render the post in the same way as it's presented when actually posting it. I have a thread on that issue too somewhere around here.

I understand that some of the issues may be due to the actual forum engine and that they, in those cases, exists on other forums using the same engine. In those cases they might not be able to be fixed by the forum admininstrators but IMHO it's then their job to escalate the problem to the people doing the forum software.

However, we must remember that Lester is quite generous giving us this forum "free". I wish for better usabillity and less "features" (chat, calender, comics, maps etc) but I know nothing about forum software so....

Now MELABS have a forum of their own, pretty limited trafic there yet but I'm sure it'll grow.

/Henrik.

Code:
    %00011000
    I just tried with the post editor set to "source" and I think it works.
    Last edited by mackrackit; - 18th December 2011 at 10:09.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

As for the HTML post I have been trying to fix them as time permits, just have not had time to do much lately.
    The posting problem is a platform problem and Lester has been working on it as he has time.
    The new features was suppose to make the forum "nicer". It is my understanding that some of the features are also part of the platform. Like "Unity" on Ubuntu, I think we are stuck with it for now.
    Many seem to like the Dilbert section.
    It has been my understanding that the MeLabs forum is more for tech issues that in the past would have been called in. I have heard that it is not intended to take away from this forum.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

For what its worth, I agree with all of you. There is no need to full quote the post just before your reply. I too had the issue with my browser at work only gave me the option to quote or scroll to the top for the reply button. I found it quite easy to use the quote button, highlight all and erase the quote. If that is too much work for the poster, well what can I say.

Another real gripe that I have is the EXTREEMLY limited time allowed to correct and add to posts. Last I checked it was 10 minutes and what really gets me is that I would often go back into a recent post and spend a few more minutes correcting and making more understandable... only to try and submit and be told that the time window has expired... therefore loosing the additions.

You have 10 Mins to chnage the thread title.

You have 30 mins to change the post text.

That should be plenty of time.
    Lester - Forum Administrator
    -----------------------------------
    www.crownhill.co.uk

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.