Send power betwwen to moving parts?

Closed Thread

Default Send power betwwen to moving parts?

Hey Guys

Long time since I wrote for the last time here, I don't have much time free lately I'm afraid.

Well, short question, I need to send 5 volts between two moving parts, like the famous "propeller clock" or like in a slot car.

What I'm trying to find is some nice rigid contacts to attach to a PCB, so they can slide over another PCB to transfer the 5 volts.

Like this:

Hope it's clear what I'm trying to do. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Daniel.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Send power betwwen to moving parts?

Why pay for overpriced toys when you can have
    professional grade tools for FREE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Hey Guys

Long time since I wrote for the last time here, I don't have much time free lately I'm afraid.

Well, short question, I need to send 5 volts between two moving parts, like the famous "propeller clock" or like in a slot car.

What I'm trying to find is some nice rigid contacts to attach to a PCB, so they can slide over another PCB to transfer the 5 volts.

Like this: . . .

Hope it's clear what I'm trying to do. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Daniel.
    Hi Daniel,
    Since your application is low power, I E Not several tens of amps, You might consider carbon brushes, I think Home Depot may sell them or LOWES as general purpose replacements for motors. A split ring commutator can be fashioned from copper tubing and epoxy and bruch holders from brass tubing and pc board.
    Last edited by Archangel; - 1st December 2011 at 00:03. Reason: Removed duplicate video
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Hi Daniel,
    Since your application is low power, I E Not several tens of amps, You might consider carbon brushes, I think Home Depot may sell them or LOWES as general purpose replacements for motors.
    Whilst you can certainly use carbon brushes, they are typically used where high currents in the tens to hundreds of amps are required. A good example is the starter motor in a motor vehicle.
    Why pay for overpriced toys when you can have
    professional grade tools for FREE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rmteo View Post
    Whilst you can certainly use carbon brushes, they are typically used where high currents in the tens to hundreds of amps are required. A good example is the starter motor in a motor vehicle.
    Huh, I've never seen a straight carbon brush in a starter, seen a copper blend there, alternators however do use carbon brushes. The brushes I am refering to are very small round or square light motor brushes designed to handle less than 10 amps and are soft enough to run on a copper surface without destroying it . They have the desirable attribute of having a fine braided copper wire embedded so as to give you a way to energize them without adding another friction connection. Many also have an attached coil spring. Example from OSH http://www.osh.com/eng/product/dreme...rushes/6067128
    or better, Grainger's
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...FUvCtgodhk5KpA
    Although the cheapest method might be to cannabalize a toy's motor.

Starter Motor Brushes
    http://www.amazon.com/Ricks-Motorspo.../dp/B00230JUMY
    Last edited by Archangel; - 1st December 2011 at 00:10.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.