LCDOUT and 4 *40 displays

Closed Thread

Default LCDOUT and 4 *40 displays

I have a 4 line by 40 character LCD that I am wondering how painful it may be to use. Since it has two enable lines, I ran them together and, of course, I have 2 identical 2 * 40 displays. My first thought was to "AND gate" the enable line from the pic with 2 other select lines (port pins) and activate the 2 select lines as needed in the code depending on which half of the display I wanted to write to. I think that would work, but what about any LCD initialization that is happening befor my code gets going? Has anyone been down this road? Thanks much! Scott

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: LCDOUT and 4 *40 displays

It sounds like you are complicating things. I don't get the AND part at all.

I would use 2 pins on the PIC to enable the 2 LCD 'sections', then I would enable whichever I wanted and write to the display.

Do you have a LCD model number? It's much easier when you Google the datasheet and read exactly how the thing is supposed to be used.

Robert

In this thread, Lester discussed using AND gates and Darrel Taylor has another approach. Thanks guys and the Darrel Taylor LCD bargraphs are great!

http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/show...=6351#post6351

Quote Originally Posted by chips123 View Post
    In this thread, Lester discussed using AND gates and Darrel Taylor has another approach. Thanks guys and the Darrel Taylor LCD bargraphs are great!

http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/show...=6351#post6351
    I also have a 4x40 LCD display and it is very easy to make it work with Darrel's method.
    "No one is completely worthless. They can always serve as a bad example."

Anonymous

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.