Next Project - Canon Camera Control over USB

Closed Thread

Default Next Project - Canon Camera Control over USB

Before I dig too deep in the USB Hosting murk, and waste my time, is an 18F device plus a USB host chip, capable of hosting PTP protocoll to communicate with a Canon camera?

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions or must read material, then let me know.

I have looked at the Arduino USB shield and whilst it has allready been done, I would then have to control the Arduino!

If an Atmel can do it, then can a PIC do it?
    Tim.

Default Re: Next Project - Canon Camera Control over USB

Hi Tim,

If all you need is remote shutter operation (perhaps with timers), than there is an easier way to do this. There are apps for Android, I phone and so on that play .wav files over the earphone socket, which in turn drive a pair of IR LEDs. I assume its a DSLR you are talking about. I am in the process of designing a pic based cable that would use any such app, and permit me to control the DSLR with a wired connection. The extra benefit would be better, AND brand/protocol un-specific operation.

If you want to do this with a Canon point-and-shoot, you could use the CHDK build, and it would be very trivial to let the pic take control, although with the loads of functions built-in into the CHDK you probably wont need the pic.

Regards,

Anand

Default Re: Next Project - Canon Camera Control over USB

I need complete control over any Canon (DSLR) camera. Canon UK are releasing the protocols to us, but my concern is the PIC may not be up to the job!

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.