Where are all the INCLUDE files??

Closed Thread

Default Where are all the INCLUDE files??

As I was browsing the forum I came across a post that questioned why the Arduino was so popular.

Aside from the ?fact? that the "C-like" language could be construed to be more powerful... There is quite a list of "libraries" or "Include-type" files that each user of the arduino can take advantage of.

I would submit that, if those who would benefit from ongoing success of PICbasic and PICbasicPRO (THAT IS ALL OF US and MicroEngineeringLabs) would make it easier for newbies to get started using PICbasic, then it would continue to gain popularity.

The reason I say ALL OF US, is that the more people that use PICbasic the more healthy the community will be, and the more copies of the compiler that MElabs sells the more money they have to put back into R&D and more capable versions of the compiler that will be released.

One thing that I notice is that it is quite difficult to locate a list of "include" files that I have come across in discussion threads over the time I have been here.

I went to Darrel Taylor's website and only found mention of his excellent DT-INTS... where are the others... like LCD bargraphs, his temperature conversions, etc. etc.??

And I know there are many others who have written Include files to make life easier for themselves... that could be shared with others.

So I suggest we all chime in here with comments/suggestions/corrections and the administrators could possibly make a location on this forum to list and post all the various include files that would help to make life easer for us all AND make PICbasic a more popular compiler.
    Last edited by Heckler; - 12th September 2011 at 22:07.
    Dwight
    These PIC's are like intricate puzzles just waiting for one to discover their secrets and MASTER their capabilities.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Where are all the INCLUDE files??

A wiki section for includes does sound like a good idea. One problem would be updates. So it might end up being a place for links to, for example, Darrel's site for the latest version.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

YES, thats a great idea!

The one drawback is that it requires the authors of these 'includes' and "plugins' to participate. It maybe what the users want, but do the authors have the time and commitment to support the idea?

Currently the moderators do quite a lot to ensure that the WIKI is populated, by publishing the articles that are there. Quite a few of those articles were never written as articles by the original author.

If the originators of the 'includes' are happy to participate, i'll create a WIKI section to suport their contributions. They can be granted "Contributor' status, allowimg them to create, publish and modify their articles at will.

Maybe, better than that, I could open up a feature that would provide "contributors' with their own personal BLOGs within the forum. Their they can publish the 'includes' along with supporting articles in their own personal dedicated section, under their control. Followers of the individual 'includes' can discuss the 'Products' on the forum, but would be able to go to the "Contributors' dedicated area to download the 'includes' 'plugins' 'products' and updated versions and read supporting articles etc.

There is a lot that we can offer to forum users in the way of features and facilities, but without contribution from the users nothing will happen.

WIKI area, dedicated BLOG, Private web sites, file storeage, whatever, let me know whats required and confirm that it wil be used and Crownhill will provide the resources.

As an example of the different ways that Member contributions can be handled.

The WKI section allows memebers to create articles on any subject, these are articles are one-offs catalogued by subject and are generally of an informational nature.

The projects section much like the WIKI but allows users to publish one off projects catalougued by subject.

On our other forum, you can see that as well as Projects and the WIKI, we have an area INSIDE the WIKI for plugins to the editor, where users can publish their additions to the editor. You will also notice that there is a file store requireing a user name and password (user: protonuser password: forumfiles), into which users upload their files and reference them in their articles.

On the Amicus forum, you'll notice that we have some users that have created their own BLOG, so that all articles and plugins or includes, can be found under the users name, rather than in the WIKI section. The WIKI section still exists, but the BLOG allows users that intend to publish several articles specific to them, to catalogue them in a personal section. It is interesting to note that one of those users that created a BLOG area, is a commercial company that uses the BLOG area to promote their products, via articles and code examples.

So,the BLOG could be used by resellers, too. Resellers have their own products to support PBP users. Resellers could have their own BLOG section to promote their products / supporting code / services.

We have done a lot to assist PBP users to build this community, we are very happy to introduce more facilities, above are just examples of what can be offered. We have over the years tried many different ways to help users and contributors build their presence in the community, another example of the way we can use the forum to support thord party developers can be seen here on the Proton forum.

The point that i'm making is this. We provide 5 forums for 5 user groups. Three of then happen to support the Basic language for microcontrollers, on those three forums, the users have opted for different ways of promoting and supporting third party feature. You can have anything you request.....but without user contribution its a dead duck.

Discuss what you'd like, arrive at a consensus of opinion and (within our abilities) we'll provide the facility.

Dont forget the group of moderators that look after you on a daily basis. Toiling in the background to ensure the system runs smoothly and spam free. Whatever you request will need to be managed, so try to suggest something that require little of no policing...please.

Oh and dont forget that we offer Free Web Hosting too!

All this for No charge and No in your face advertising

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.