Android Basic

Closed Thread

Thread: Android Basic

Default Android Basic

For those who want to program for Android but don't want to deal with Java, etc. Here is a 50% discount code for Basic4Android. You need to use the Plimus link for the $99 Enterprise version to enter the code. The result is $49.50 plus any applicable sales tax. It should be good for about 10-12 more redemptions.

Code: baukyj
    Those who buy it get their own discount code to pass on to 20 others. The first four to use your code will each garner you an extra year of free updates.

I've yet to get an Android (leaning towards $250 Lenovo), and I've got a couple of PICish projects to finish first, but the documentation, examples and forum look very good.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Android Basic

Dave,

Thank you for sharing. I will definitely give this program a try. Are your PICish projects related to this Android software? I guess that it is possible to interface a PIC with an Android cell phone by using this software. That would be cool.

Robert
    "No one is completely worthless. They can always serve as a bad example."

Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by rsocor01 View Post
    Are your PICish projects related to this Android software?
    Only indirectly. One PIC project is a modification of an existing X-10 Home Automation device - adding an optically isolated serial port and galvanically isolated 50-ohm BNC antenna jack plus PICs/RTC/FRAM to turn the RR501 into a serial controller. My first Android project will be software that controls it via a WiFi link and ethernet/serial adapter. But there are some AVR projects ahead of both - they will also interface with the Android tablet via WiFi.

I'd love to get into android projects with a basic-type language, but my Asus-Garmin from Videotron is stuck at Eclair.

Microchip Technology Inc...announced its Accessory Development Starter Kits ...which enable accessory development for Google’s Android platform. Specifically, Android versions 2.3.4 and 3.1 and later...
    http://www.microchip.com/stellent/id...param=en553929

Since Garmin is now out of cellphones, we were lucky to even get Eclair v2.1 for the A50. There is no announcement for Froyo v2.2 and Gingerbread v2.3 is highly unlikely, and even then we'd have to get v2.3.4.
    Last edited by Demon; - 11th September 2011 at 06:55.

My disabilities and other health issues keep me home-bound so GPS & cell aren't too important to me. I have a cell for emergency outgoing calls with a $10.65 every 3 month T-Mobile prepaid plan. I have MagicJack and a Panasonic DECT wireless with extensions in each room where I spend significant time (although a recent fall indicates I need to add a couple of rooms). A friend in Florida has a hardened PC on his boat and uses MagicJack with wireless phones connecting to public APs when in range.

I'm leaning towards Lenovo's IdeaPad A1 (with GPS) and using Skype on it. My niece would like something smaller than a laptop to do email and phone while watching TV and this might be just right

Many years ago I used an early PDA as a universal remote by creating .WAV files of the codes and sending them to an emitter connected to the headphone jack - I may try that with whatever tablet I decide on - there's ample room to store codes. It will depend on whether the audio circuits can handle 38kHz.

Normally, I steer clear of Google where possible because of things like them insisting on getting my cell number in order to open a GMail account, but these inexpensive tablets running Android are just too enticing.

I agree with dhouston, the Android Basic forum is a class act, very active with lots of helpful and friendly folks, I guess I bought my license for the program about the same time that dhouston did, as a result of a post on the PB forum.
    I'm still in reading the docs mode, so no active project with my shiney new compiler yet. I did buy a Android Tablet off of Ebay that is one of those cheap Chinese models, but the American seller had models that he pimps out with the American appts store,etc etc and direct access to root when received. ($90.00) that I will use to develope on.
    dhouston your comments about falling hit home, I spend a great deal of time randomly falling and at 6 ft 5 260# it hurts when connection to the floor is made

Quote Originally Posted by dhouston View Post
    and forum look very good.
    Gary-W4GNS
    MicroCode Studio Plus 5.0.0.2 MCSPX
    PBP 3.0 Gold Edition 3.0.5.4

Tickled Speechless using PBP 3.0

Hockey/football equipment is too cumbersome. Have you thought of rollerskating or kickboxing pads? It won't protect from a faceplant down a flight of stairs (I just realized why they call them "flights"), but the knees and elbows can take so much beating and only need a bit of padding to get a minimum of protection.

That, or you could develop a PIC-based system with sensors and airbags placed at strategic locations.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by dhouston View Post
    Many years ago I used an early PDA as a universal remote by creating .WAV files of the codes and sending them to an emitter connected to the headphone jack - I may try that with whatever tablet I decide on - there's ample room to store codes. It will depend on whether the audio circuits can handle 38kHz.
    Dave, the audio circuits dont need to handle 38kHz, 19kHz would be fine. Here's an interesting technique to achieve what the IR sensor would see as a 38kHz modulation, using 2 LEDs in anti-parallel being driven by the left AND right channels.

http://jumpjack.wordpress.com/2008/0...ote-control-2/

Follow the next few pages for a complete explanation on how its done. Alternately, there's a Windows application (also mentioned on Jack's pages) that automatically creates a modulated .wav file appropriate for 38 kHz transmission directly from sound captured from an IR module, on the fly.

I tried this, and it works, but the range is very modest. In fact, there are quite a few Android apps using this technique to make your phone work as a versatile timer/remote shutter for a DSLR.

While on the topic of Androids and pics, there is a free terminal emulator on the Android that works wonderfully with any project that can be given bluetooth capability. Would be great to set parameters, check debug/calibration values and so on. No need to waste a display (or controls, for that matter) on a project, if it is to be monitored only periodically. Endless possibilities, I think.

Regards,

Anand

Anand,

I used that with the PDA years ago and have my own Windows application that captures IR/RF and converts between .WAV, .CCF and several others. I've been considering rewriting from VB to PureBasic and porting it to Linux and OSX as well but had no pressing need. This might give that project a little impetus.
    Last edited by dhouston; - 13th September 2011 at 21:52.

Dave, in fact that URL to your site is one of the pages that got me hooked to IR years ago; thanks.

I'd somehow missed the part, and am still unclear, how does your utility manage to squeeze out more than 18-20 kHz from a sound card? And is it by any chance in public domain?

Regards,

Anand

For output on the PDA I used the LR 19kHz approach. I'm eager to see if an Android tablet can supply enough current for decent IR range.

For input, most cards can sample at twice the rate they playback (and some could do that on output). There were some that could sample at 96kHz in order to record CD quality which made it possible to get the IR carrier and determine its frequency up to ~48kHz.

It's still proprietary. I made the mistake of creating a freeware application that did not have all of its features and found RemoteCentral posts from users publishing all of the codes it had generated for them so I do not plan to release any source code any time soon.

Just to keep going the 50% discount on the purchasing price for basic4android, here my coupon code: csiao.

Cheers

Al.
    All progress began with an idea

WOOT

I now have a samsung galaxy nexus to play with!

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    WOOT
    I now have a samsung galaxy nexus to play with!
    Send it down to me for 2 weeks, and I'll take the "new" off it for you, no charge.
    Gary-W4GNS
    MicroCode Studio Plus 5.0.0.2 MCSPX
    PBP 3.0 Gold Edition 3.0.5.4

Tickled Speechless using PBP 3.0

I didn't say "new". :P

It's my daughter's old one, the power button has a mind of its own.Videotron let us keep it and sent a new unit.

I have to order a new power button circuit for $2.90.

Now I have to figure how to get my account switched to it and I'll be all set (my Garmin-Asus A50 sim card is not compatible).

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.