Using a PIC18F4550 package for PIC18F2550 compiled code. Any issues?

Closed Thread

Default Using a PIC18F4550 package for PIC18F2550 compiled code. Any issues?

I am building a product I want to be compatible with the Experimenters Version of PBP3 for a 18F2550. However, the 2550's smallest package is a soic, and this needs to be small. The 18F4550 does come in a QFN, so I was looking at that as a possible replacement. I have done a few tests with Microchip's HID USB bootloader loaded on a 18F4550. It accepts hex files compiled for a 18F2550, and the few tests I did worked fine, operating the standard ports, and using Steve's (updated by Darrel) USB Demo program. I don't need to utilize any more pins than a 2550, I just need the smaller package. (It will always be programmed with the USB bootloader).

Does anyone see any issues with this setup?

Thanks,

Walter

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Using a PIC18F4550 package for PIC18F2550 compiled code. Any issues?

Ground the leftover pins so they do not cause problems.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Default Re: Using a PIC18F4550 package for PIC18F2550 compiled code. Any issues?

Hi Walter,
    You are probably going to be alright going that way, except for having more memory than you can access, I think if you went the other way it would put the hurt on you.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

What does ADC have to do with USB?

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.