Fix for preview post -> real post.

Closed Thread

Default Fix for preview post -> real post.

Hi,
    Here's a request for you:
    Fix so that what you see when press Preview post is what you actually get when you post your message. Here's an example from this thread
    Preview post:

Name:  preview.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  75.2 KB

Nice and tidy with a horisontal scrollbar for the code window. Now for the way it shows up in the thread:

Name:  real view.JPG
Views: 494
Size:  81.6 KB

Seems the preview feature isn't that usable when it doesn't show what you'll actually get.

/Henrik.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Fix for preview post -> real post.

I seems to be related to the size, width, of the text box post is made verses displayed, if you expand,reduce the window with in browser, IE for me,
    the text in textbox stretches and shrinks to window and seems to line up at different width's. I think thats the editing, enter, word break, formatting, RTF, TXT ? (dah)

Name:  rule2.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  92.1 KB

Name:  ruler1.JPG
Views: 413
Size:  105.4 KB

don
    Last edited by amgen; - 21st August 2011 at 15:13.

thinking further, the vertical scrolling is gone on the post, changes layout totally.

Yes, but it should not do that. It should display the textbox/codewindow exactly as it's displayed in the preview. It should not break any lines - if the textbox isn't wide enough (because the window is too small or the line is too long) it should show the box with a horisontal scrollbar - like it does in the preview.

Henrik, i looked into this. Its beyond the resource i have.

I fear that many changes that seem trivial, are often quite complex, the forum is a massive system with much interracting code and the requirement to preserve the structure so that updates are unaffected.

I see no similar request from other forum owners, so there seems to be no demand on the core developers to improve this feature,

I'm sorry, but, It fair to say that its not going to happen anytime soon, sorry.

I'd be happy to have any volunteer(s) that wants to join the admin / moderator group and take this on a as a project.

We have a development system that can be sued as a test bed for core code chnages.

Its no small task.

Hi Lester,
    Fair enough, if none of the other forum owners you mention thinks it's a problem then OK. Have you tried it, do you get the same results as I do?

It just seems wrong that a preview window doesn't show what you'll actually get - it kind of defeats its purpose altogether.

I'm afraid I have zero know-how when it comes to these kinds of systems so I'm afraid I'll just destroy the thing if I went at it.

/Henrik.

I could be wrong but it isn't a vBulletin issue? How about asking/report to them directly?
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Yes, its vBulletin functionality, but i don't see its a BUG, its just a requirement to change the way the way it works.

We've been using vBulletin for many years now, nothing has changed to my knowledge.

I use the preview, yes, but this issue has not affected my posts since they are mainly text.

I know that the editor can produce some strange results when you try to hard format text in articles. But i work around it.

I'll drill through the bug reports and development requests on the vbulletin support site to see if there is any other mention of this or a proposed solution.

It maybe that there is some way to use a different editor. In Joomla we can install enhanced editors to resolve issues, but in VBulletin i've not seen this.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.