Trouble Reading Binary or BCD from a GPS

Closed Thread

Post Trouble Reading Binary or BCD from a GPS

Hi All,

I am having trouble reading data from a GPS which has been set to a Binary Output which I assume is in BCD. If I read the info coming from the GPS in NMEA it reads 100% and I can display all the info on my LCD. Once the GPS is set in binary I can't seem to display any information and if I look at the "GPS Viewer" on the PC it shows me all the text info in Longs/Lats exactly what I want to receive on my PIC. I assume they have some conversion from BCD to ASCII in their software, does anyone know how to convert this data so I can display something readable?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Trouble Reading Binary or BCD from a GPS

Here is a pretty good link about BCD & Packed BCD, might be helpful, you can mask upper or lower nibble and save into an array or just some variables, or convert to DEC and display as ASCII.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary-coded_decimal
    Last edited by Archangel; - 7th August 2011 at 04:42.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Hi Archangel,

Many Thanks for the reply,

I am just trying to see how I could do that, how could I convert it it Dec?

If I use the Serin command to receive the data on serin2 portc.7, 84, [B0, B1, B2, B3, B4, B5]
    I could then see the Dec Value if I use lcdout $FE,1,DEC B0, DEC B1, DEC B2 etc, etc, but how could I then convert it to ASCII?, could I save the DEC Value of B0 and then recall it to display the ASCII value?, if I could how would I be able to "save" the DEC value of B0?

Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.