Anyone found a Bootloader for 18F26K22?

Closed Thread

Default Anyone found a Bootloader for 18F26K22?

Hello Freinds, I was wondering if anybody has come across a bootloader for an 18F26K22. I talked to David Barker (Microcode Studio) via Email and he said maybe in the future he will tackle it but no time frame yet. I have an application for replacing an 18F2620 which I require a second comm port. I tried the DS-30 bootloader but to no avail. I'm still looking... Thanks in advance....
    Dave Purola,
    N8NTA
    EN82fn

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Anyone found a Bootloader for 18F26K22?

Hi Dave,
    I was going to suggest the DS30 loader since I've had success with on a 18F25K22. I don't have a 26K22 to play with but what's the problem you're having with it?

Well, I went to there website and downloaded all the manuals and the loader files as well as the GUI interface. I have spent all of today trying to get the darn thing to be able to bootload a program. I am trying to use USART1 like normal but no go. I hooked a scope to the TX and RX pins and I did see a character or two returned from the pic 1 time only. I can see the pinging from the pc side but no responces from the pic side. I read a couple of forums and some people have had some success with the USART2 port. I was going to try that next. I have gone over all the spec's for the part and set all the registers to enable the first and second USART ports. I'm at my wit's end... like I said in my request post, I have talked to David Barker, the writer of MicroCode Studio and he has no plans on updating the MicroCode Loader for now. I would think that if you have a product that everybody uses you would support it. I kind of wish Mel Labs would support a bootloader once again. I use it for all my projects from bench to finish products... BTW, I compiled the same program without the asm lines to remap the bootloader location and used MPLAB to load it onto the 18F26K22 and the ports work just fine and as expected.
    Last edited by Dave; - 19th July 2011 at 23:22.
    Dave Purola,
    N8NTA
    EN82fn

Hi Dave,
    I'm basically in the same boat, I use a bootloader for almost everything where an USART is available, it's just so convenient. Regarding Mecanique, I use MCSP and MCLoader all the time but I'm concidering the product dead - it is what it is and it what's avaialble now is what we'll get.

I seem to remember there was something wrong/weird with the settings for the 25K22, perhaps the same thing applies to the 26K22. I don't remeber exactly where I found the information but here are a couple of links, perhaps you've seen them both, perhaps you haven't.
    http://digital-diy.com/forum/chit-ch...ader-t666.html
    http://digital-diy.com/forum/amicus-...der-t1300.html

There's also a sample PBP program on the DS30 loader download page.

I placed an Digikey order yesterday, if I'd knew I would include a 26K22....

Good luck and please keep us updated!

/Henrik.

In fact Hendrik, The settings.inc file is from an 18F25K22 that was modified. Virtually the same. I am going to try the USART2 port this afternoon and see if it works... I'll keep in touch...
    Dave Purola,
    N8NTA
    EN82fn

Regarding using 2 serial ports, I have had great success running two ports at different speeds using the 18F26K22. Sample coding below.

Tim.

Code:
    INCLUDE "DT_INTS-18.bas"         ; Base Interrupt System
    INCLUDE "ReEnterPBP-18.bas"     ; Include if using PBP interrupts
    ASM
    INT_LIST  macro    ; IntSource,        Label,  Type, ResetFlag?
            INT_Handler    RX1_INT,  _SERIALIN1,   PBP,  no
            INT_Handler    RX2_INT,  _SERIALIN2,   PBP,  no
            INT_Handler    TMR1_INT, _COUNTER,     PBP,  yes
        endm
        INT_CREATE                   ; Creates the interrupt processor
    ENDASM

RCSTA1 = %11010000                    ' Enable 9bit serial port & continuous receive
                TXSTA1 = %01100100                    ' Enable transmit, BRGH = 1
                BAUDCON1.3 = 1                         ' Enable 16 bit baudrate generator
                SPBRGH1 = 0
                SPBRG1 = B562500                    ' 562500 Baud

RCSTA2 = %10010000                    ' Enable serial port & continuous receive & parity
                TXSTA2 = %00100100                    ' Enable transmit, BRGH = 1
                BAUDCON2.3 = 1                         ' Enable 16 bit baudrate generator
                SPBRGH2 = 1
                SPBRG2 = B38400                        ' 38400 Baud @ 54MHZ

Timmers, I have NO problem using the two ports, in fact, that's why I chose the 18F26K22 for the application. I am running 3 ports, one is DEBUG. The application code is working just fine but it is Annoying to have to remove the part from the product each time to reprogram it when making development changes. I have always used the boot loader with MicroCode Studio, in fact thats why I purchased the product. I used to use the boot loader from Mel Labs but they also decided to stop supporting it a few years ago. Thats why I chose MicroCode Studio as my developement platform. Now that they are showing no interest in supporting the newer Pic's with there product (probably due to lower priority between Proton support, Amicus support and MicroCode studio support) I don't know what to do....
    Dave Purola,
    N8NTA
    EN82fn

Dave,
    This won't help but I always include a ICSP header on my boards so I can connect the PICKit3 and flash the chip if I don't have access to a bootloader.

I'm currently working on a board with a 46K22, I'll see if I can get that going with the DS30 loader but I'm currently having difficulties with the FT232RL USB<->UART bridge (first time using it in my own desing) and I need to get that going before continuing. I know you're using the 26K22 but perhaps it will help you - IF I get it going that is....

/Henrik.

Dave,
    Glad you are (port) sorted.
    I allways put an ICSP header in. If PortB.6 or b.7 are inputs you need to put a 1K-ish resistor in series and ICSP connections go directly to the PIC, that way you can overdrive the attached components.
    For some older designs that do not have ICSP, I have a jig to insert between the socket and the PIC with the ICSP connections made to the jig.

I am also trying to implement a bootloader and was only aware of the Microchip one. Keep me posted should you have any success.
    Tim.

Henrik, I have been working with David Barker the last 2 days with an open source Bootloader that comes with the new MCSPX 5.0 IDE. We got it working this morning and it performs is just like the old one. It allows you to build your own Bootload hex files for any of the new PIC's. I finally got that 18F26K22 running for the new LoadShed processor.
    Dave Purola,
    N8NTA
    EN82fn

Hi Dave,
    That's excellent news! A saw the UMC Firmware button in the new MCLoader and went on short search for information about what it was without much success. I found the UMC folder in the MCSPX install folder but there's very little information on how it works and how to configure it - especially for an ASM rookie like myself.

I thought more info would boil to the surface soon enough - and sure enough...
    Anything you can, want and are allowed to share?

/Henrik.

Well Henrik, Where do I start? I left a request for a new bootloader file to Microcode Studio a few weeks ago. That's when I posted "Anyone found a Bootloader for 18F26K22?" I havent heard anything for the last week or so. I just purchased PBP3 last week. I was contacted by David Barker in responce to my email about a bootload hex file for the 18F26K22. He had mentioned that he was writing an open source hex file generator for the Microcode studio bootloader program and if I would like to test the beta version. So I have been working with him for the last 2 days getting it working and some verification. You will need to get an updated version of the UMCLoader.exe as he made a few changes to it. It is now 1.0.0.1. I have also made a few changes to the template for the open source .asm build file to be used with MPLAB to generate the .hex bootload file for the processor. I suppose the update will be available soon for the purchased MCSPX package. I would email Microcode studio and see when it will be available.
    Dave Purola,
    N8NTA
    EN82fn

That sounds excelent! During my own short research I did try to run the UMC loader application (UMCLoader.exe) but when I ran it nothing at all happend so I thought it was internal to the standard MCLoader application or something.

Are you saying it's a stand alone application for the open source firmware? If so I wonder why it doesn't run on my machine - perhaps I just need the new version you mention.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the information - I'll keep my eyes and ears open for any information that may surface.

/Henrik.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.