RCP 6x64 Led Scrolling Sign

Closed Thread

Default RCP 6x64 Led Scrolling Sign

Hi All

looking to pick someones brain, I purchased a 6x64 led sign recently made by Rainbow Computer Periphials model RH-612RSB. have no information on this and have searched the internet far and wide for help with no luck. All I can find is a link to there web site for a catalog and there tech support team will not give me any information on this at all.
    Apparently this unit takes a special driver to read and write to it. I can get software to communicate with it, it sees the sign but will not write to it. It has the RJ12 Connector in the back for serial interface and a remote led on front but to this point can not get any information on the cable, driver, or software to program it. Any information you can give me on this.?

Thanks
    Tom
    Docs

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: RCP 6x64 Led Scrolling Sign

Quite often these displays are fitted with EPROMS for the function they are intended (caller display, counter, people-waiting etc) and to 'enable' them for free-running text this EPROM has to be swapped out for the appropriately coded version. If you can get hold of the IR remote control you stand a better chance of getting this working - else resort to taking it apart and finding the serial data pins right at the LED panel.

Scrap it, keep the lightning and roll your own... then sell it without any information
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Well I have a IR Remote for a betabrite that will flash the sign when I push the program button. can't I flash another program to the eprom? What does
    that require? I was really hoping someone who had sold these at 1 time had the info and drivers I needed, Its a 3 color sign I hate to just scrap it. The eprom is under
    a door on the back of the sign. what eprom could a swap it with?

Thanks
    Tom
    Doc's

Even if you swap the EEPROM, you<ll need to know how it is implemented in.

What I meant by "Scrap it" was just to remove the controller board inside, access the friver and plug your homebrew thing... after all...it's a Microcontroller forum here
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

I had a similar panel a few years ago and dismantled it for the parts - the tri-colour (red/green) LED matrix displays are very sort after on eBay - by the time I'd stripped it and sold it for the bits I got more than 6 times what I paid for it originally!

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.