Target Device does not match selected device

Closed Thread

Default Target Device does not match selected device

I had been programming PBP pro for months, programming the MCU and testing it and my programming using a ME-Labs LabX1 development system. Today after months of neglect, I got back to it, finished a program that compiles okay, but I get the error "Target Device does not match selected device" when I hit the program button. Both the target device in MC Studio and the MEProg popup box indicates the MCU is a PIC 16F887.
    The ONLY thing I can think of that changed is my O/S from Vista x64 to Win7 x64.
    Any ideas?
    I've done the reset thing, power down, shut down MicroCode Studio, etc, to no avail. My comm is fine on Comm3, says it's connected. I can't even run old programs that I had verified okay months ago.

Oh...I'm a newbie...go easy.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Target Device does not match selected device

See FineLine IDE and add the lines:
    FL_PIC16F887
    FL_PBPL or FL_PBPW
    FL_MPASM or FL_PM
    with an apostrophe and less than sign on the left and a greater than and apostrophe on the right side as this post isn't showing them correctly.
    This will automatically select the configuration each time from code.
    FL will also prompt if an incorrect setting.

What FL does best however is draw brackets linking the IF's with the ENDIF's etc to easily read deeply nested code.

FL is an easy to install, simple copy, paste or delete .exe with no registry entries.

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by queenidog View Post
    I had been programming PBP pro for months, programming the MCU and testing it and my programming using a ME-Labs LabX1 development system. Today after months of neglect, I got back to it, finished a program that compiles okay, but I get the error "Target Device does not match selected device" when I hit the program button. Both the target device in MC Studio and the MEProg popup box indicates the MCU is a PIC 16F887.
    The ONLY thing I can think of that changed is my O/S from Vista x64 to Win7 x64.
    Any ideas?
    I've done the reset thing, power down, shut down MicroCode Studio, etc, to no avail. My comm is fine on Comm3, says it's connected. I can't even run old programs that I had verified okay months ago.

Oh...I'm a newbie...go easy.
    Hello queenidog,
    Make sure the compile and program toolbar is enabled in MCS, you can see which ones are enabled by right clicking on a blank area in the tool bars. On that toolbar there is a drop box where the PIC number is displayed. From that drop box, select the appropriate PIc you are working with. It will change by itself on occasion or so I think! I cannot say why.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

I think I may have found the problem. I had downloaded a new MeLabs programmer beta program and hadn't really used it until this week (and found this target device problem). Reading the enclosed notes, for once, I came across a statement indicating that not all devices would work after the upgrade and I should re-register the OCX for the USB programmer. I did this and now everything is okay. Here is the relevant info, for future reference, for others:
    USB OCX Installation:

"The melabs U2 / USB Programmer requires registration of an OCX file for
    support of the USB functions. This file is normally registered when the
    melabs Programmer software is first installed. To register the OCX with
    Windows:"

regsvr32 HIDagentXControl1.ocx

Thanks to those who responded.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.