Help please I am so lost just need pointing in the right direction

Closed Thread

Default Help please I am so lost just need pointing in the right direction

Please help I am so lost
    Hi I hope some one can help me in any way they can please
    I need to build a unit that has the following spec it has to be able to have the settings put in from an LCD display and do the following actions.
    Move a stepper motor, stop, wait ,fire 2 outputs ,wait for an input ,wait ,fire 2 more outputs, Wait, fire a servo for a set distance ,then move again. I might want to loop this action.
    Now the hard bit I have been off work for 2 years now with very bad depression as well as a host of other things wrong with me.
    So cash is very tight I can only do this once so have to get it right is arduino or pic bet to do this job. I have never used either before and are these supposedly do any thing kits on eBay from china any god to do it.
    Lastly any one wanting to sell any bit that might help or help with the Programing please contact me .
    Thank you
    Albert

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Help please I am so lost just need pointing in the right direction

Welcome Albert. What you are proposing is relatively simple programming wise. Some new users get a little frustrated with configuration bits and other things required on the pics to get started. A lot of us started our journey on Basic Stamps. These can easily do what you mention, without some of the headaches of getting started. For one offs, and simple things, Basic Stamps are a cheap way to get started into programming. If you were needing multiple items, faster speed, more complex communication, and endless other possibilites, then you could upgrade to PicBasic Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by scalerobotics View Post
    Welcome Albert. What you are proposing is relatively simple programming wise. Some new users get a little frustrated with configuration bits and other things required on the pics to get started. A lot of us started our journey on Basic Stamps. These can easily do what you mention, without some of the headaches of getting started. For one offs, and simple things, Basic Stamps are a cheap way to get started into programming. If you were needing multiple items, faster speed, more complex communication, and endless other possibilites, then you could upgrade to PicBasic Pro.
    Thank you just if some one could give me a list of the parts to buy I can order them then start just so many different parts I am so confused.
    Once I had a parts list I can figure out Programing just as cash is so tight I don't want to buy what I do not need dose this make sense.
    Albert

I have been away from stamps for a while now, so maybe someone else will have a different opinion. I got up to a Basic Stamp 2 device (BS2), which they still offer, but are currently out of stock. For about $10 more, there is a faster BS2 SX. You would need a computer with a serial port, or a usb serial port adapter, to program these Basic Stamps.

For a comparison on their capabilities, you can see this: http://www.parallax.com/tabid/436/Default.aspx . Just click on the different stamps you want to compare. The BS2 is capable of what you describe, and probably the Basic Stamp 1. But I would definitely get a BS2 or above, rather than the BS1. A lot of the code transfers pretty easily, if you want to switch to PBP later on.

I think this might be the way to start.
    http://www.myamicus.co.uk/
    The compiler is free and all you need to copy the code to the module is an USB cable.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Assembler is free, MPLAB is free, if you have a "older" PC (says running XP or even 98), then some JDM progammer are easy and so cheap to build (not the best one but may work really well). A PICKIT 2 or PICKIT 3 Starter kit is also pretty cheap, probably the same price (or not much than) an Arduino, Amicus board Or some Basic Stamp.

Once you get the concept and built few project, PICBASIC PRO pay by itself. Still, there's a limited Demo version available on Melabs Website. From what I feel, what you need to do will perfectly fit the limitation of the DEMO version,

HTH
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Do you have to do the hardware also? What kind of servo? R/C type or real servo, what size stepper? Do you have to do the stepper drive or just send step/dir signals? What are the outputs? Just set and clear a pin or is something connected to the pin?

All of the above are great suggestions, but really more information is needed to "point you in the right direction". Is this a job interview or a project for a job? The requirements are a bit strange.
    -Bert

The glass is not half full or half empty, Its twice as big as needed for the job!

http://foamcasualty.com/ - Warbird R/C scratch building with foam!

I will throw my 2 cents in here, first off I agree with Mr E. 100%. I would add this: A JDM programmer can be had on ebay for about 10 bucks US, PBP Demo is free but won't do elaborate program, but will do simple programs, use small cheap pics and use several and use alegro stepper controller chips. You might get someone else to compile your code in the beginning and then load the hex. I stayed away from microcontrollers because of Basic stamps high price ! FOR many years ! There are some cheap / free C compilers. The compiler is your largest expense. Serial LCD would eliminate the need for big LCD routines like LCDOUT (free demo won't do)
    Upscale in price from JDM is the PICKIT2 It's great, but like 50 bucks. Low level 12F pics are really cheap and many have good features, but few I/O pins. Easiest PIC to start with is 16F84. Few features, several I/O s no analog features to confuse you, Pin compatable with 16F628A/648A so code will transport up. Request samples from
    Microchip, Allegro, Maxim just do not get greedy with them.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Thank you for all the help I have been given
    I have made a few decisions bit just need a bit more help
    I have been given a copy of flow code 3 and find It ok to use
    I think if I use it I will be ok with all the help files around the net.
    Just there are so many processors around I do not know the one to pick.
    I want a pic that will control the following
    Also the best hard wear to program it I am useing an old win98 laptop with one USB port
    1. LCD screen around 3 lines of text
    2. one stepper motor
    3. 6 inputs
    4. 6 outputs
    5. 1 Keypad
    6. 3 servos

go for a 40 pin device then. PIC16F886, 16F877(a), PIC18F452, PIC18F4520 etc etc

if you have a serial port, try to build your own JDM programmer, lots of info all 'round the web. Make sure the software for the JDM will support the PIC you'll choose.
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

You could also consider the CHIPINO from chipaxe.com.
    It works with PICKit 2, PICkit 3, and any PICkit 2 clone.
    Will accept Arduino shields and is PIC16F886 based.
    They also have a breadboard version that's even cheaper.
    CHIPINO gives you the simplicity of Arduino but the power of PICBASIC or any compiler such as Flowcode.
    If you need help getting started check out rawmicro.com. They have a video on how to use Flowcode with CHIPINO.
    Chuck Hellebuyck
    Electronic Products
    http://www.elproducts.com
    [email protected]

Hi thanks for all the help just so many different answers I am confused. Just brought the book PIC in practice and working trough it but it's slow going and I need to get this first project finished in a month promised it to grandson for his birthday.
    Could some one please mentor me trough this first project then I can take my time with the rest of the learning
    Thank you
    Al

Can you answer any of my questions in post #7? You answered the whats it for part, and I agree it needs to be done in time - no dissappointing the youngens.

Will the stepper be moving anything or just spinning with a flag on the shaft.
    -Bert

The glass is not half full or half empty, Its twice as big as needed for the job!

Hi he is into photography and seen this thing from the states called stack shot
    http://www.cognisys-inc.com/stackshot/stackshot.php
    He uses mine and his dads cameras he saw some shots of spiders up close and being a doctor who fan he was hooked
    I have made the foucusing track with a sensor( micro switch) for home position but stuck on the control bit.
    Been out of work and on sick for 2 years so no way can I afford the unit from USA what do you think
    Al

The stepper motor will turn a 6mm threaded bar to move the camera back and forwards the extra inputs and outputs are so we can develop more things it will do together as he is intresed how every thing works
    By the way I do not expect help for free I am willing to pay for your time ect
    Al
    Last edited by Rover999; - 16th June 2011 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by cncmachineguy View Post
    Do you have to do the hardware also? What kind of servo? R/C type or real servo, what size stepper? Do you have to do the stepper drive or just send step/dir signals? What are the outputs? Just set and clear a pin or is something connected to the pin?

All of the above are great suggestions, but really more information is needed to "point you in the right direction". Is this a job interview or a project for a job? The requirements are a bit strange.
    Forgot to answer all the questions the sevos are real servos the stepper I haven brought yet any recomendations .yes I have to do the stepper driver the out puts will fire either relays or optisilztors to protect the unit.
    Just to turn things on and off
    Hope this helped just he thinks I am like beforenand can do all this stuff but with the depression it's so hard
    Al

By the way I do not expect help for free I am willing to pay for your time ect
    No need for all that. Help here is free and ample!! Now thats not to say someone wouldn't be open to making it for you for a price, as long as you are doing your part like troubleshooting and trying to learn, folks here will help till its done or you stop posting.

Now off to look at your link.
    -Bert

Ooh that is pretty cool!! Now not being a photographer, I have no idea what to use it for. Looks like it may be a bit much to put my cell phone camera on.

How heavy is the payload gonna be? camera + lenses + whatever. That product says it will lift 10 pounds vertical, do you need that much?

Not sure where the servo goes, for focus maybe?

What are your plans for the actual slide? the easiest way to hack one would be an old printer. but you can buy the slides ready made ($$). Or if you have some tools, you can make 1 without too much trouble. The stepper size will be based on the load to move. theirs is a nema 17 size. I would reccomend a unipolor stepper. there is plenty of debate over which is better, but running at 12Vdc, I find uni better. Bi-polar is great at higher voltage and high speed. but you will have neither here. Also drives are a bit less expensive and easier to build yourself.
    -Bert

Hi Rover999,
    Slides get very expensive, but (please do not laugh) there are a plethora of pneumatic slides available on the cheap which have very many of the exact same features as shown, just gut the cyl. for the lead screw, alternatively commercial drill rod is very hard before heat treating and machine shop suppliers also sell bearings, bushings I. E. . . Enco. . . do not forget McMaster Carr as well.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Hi every one is helpful I will answer Berts question first as to what it is used for it is for macro photography so when you get very close to an object only a tiny area is in focus this device takes a picture then moves a very small distance then repeats it up to a hundred times after this you use soft wear to put all the images together to get one that has lots of detail. Yes a camera with bellows and lens will be around 10 pounds.
    Tools wise I have a hand drill and some hand tools.
    If some one could make one fast for me I would be so great full just looked at my effot and it looks so poor but things are so hard at the moment for me and I do not want to disappoint him.
    I can raise around £100 just is that enough you think just time is running out and if I get taken back in hospital.
    Al

If I was really strapped for cash, I'd approach it like this...

Use Mach3 - their free demo will be sufficient & it already has a nice interface (saves having to write the code from scratch in picbasic)....it also has options to 'trigger' stuff (cooling fluid etc) which could be brought into play to trigger your camera/flash etc)

GCode is easy enough to program yourself (which is what MAch3 requires)

For the slide itself....well bearing in mind cost is significant factor, I'd be inclined to build it with bog standard M10 threaded rod - since you're only going in one direction, then backlash shouldn't be an issue.

If you can lay your hands on some old dot matrix printers (boot fairs, s/h shops etc), they'll likely have some 13mm hardened rod & some basic method of running stuff along these rods (ie the carriage assembly), not to mention stepper motor and switches. In fact you could probably use the whole carriage assembly itself...which in one master stroke saves a massive amount of work as to how to get the carriage running smoothly & square.

You only need a one axis driver ...perhaps use something like a dedicated stepper driver chip (eg an allegro) or there's a few basic one axis driver schematic/layouts on the net.

I reckon this could be done for about £50....but a lot of your own time!
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; - 18th June 2011 at 17:40.

If your hacking an old printer you will likely find the driver already on the build in electronics. I have used parts of existing PCB and installed electronics by cutting the needed traces to the driver ( usually a multi-pin IC mounted to a heatsink) and feeding them with my added circuit. Find the largest ones on the heatsinks and look up the data sheets, and you might just get lucky. should find a 5v source there too.

As for weight, consider some strong line attached to your carriage over a pulley with a counter weight to balance your load. If the movement isn't too fast, a pretty small stepper will move it when balanced.

Bo

Sorry I have not answered before but been not to good. Thank you for all your help but the unit has to be able to be used in the studio and in the field. So must be self contained and portable like the link I posted above any other ideas time is running out and I am not well enough to do it myself now

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.