Introduction

Closed Thread

Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

Hello All

This is Ian - electronics hobbyist from Secunda - South Africa. Have been interested in all things electronic since I was a kid. Recently got 2 Amicus 18's from Crownhill and the ethernet shield posts there led me to this forum.

As you can see from my first post I am also interested in ethernet comms and hope to find some good info on this forum.

I am also interested in VBA programming via Excel. Its similar to VB6 and I am surprised that not more hobbyists use it. Currently playing with communicating to FTDI chips with their DLL. Will post details if anyone interested.

Ian

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Introduction

Hi Ian and welcome on the dark side

VBA, VBS are still fine but somehow forgotten by many. From what I know/understand, VBA will still imply the end user to have EXCEL/ACESS installed on their computer, but now many use Open Office because it's a fine environment... and free.

VBS on the other hand just require a Windows installation... but making a simple GUI with is way too limited

VB/C# on the other hand, makes GUI design a breeze, not to mention the abundance of resources all 'round the web. The EXPRESS versions are free for personal purpose too.

Keep us posted!
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Welcome Ian.

Hope you like our playground here.

Any input on VBA is most welcome.

Ioannis

Waar op arde is die plek Secunda. Dis amper so verlooren as Kwa Dukuza

I see we are two new guys on this forum, both from "platterland" South Africa. (I always wonder why we call rural South Africa '"platterland" or flat lands when much of our country has beautiful rolling hills. Maybe it's the shape of the tops of our heads - flat)

Welcome from Kwa Dukuza (Used to be Stanger) in KZN

John Bond

Howzit John

Nice to see another South African Here - Secunda is about 2 hours from JHB where I manage to get most of my electronics goodies. You live in a beautiful part of our country over here it is pretty flat

Ian

Eish Bra,

At some time in the future, I want to discuss with you using VBA and possibly Visual Basic for a simple HTML on a PC. I am a long way off though.

I visited Secunda as a boy when my dad worked for the mines. I don't remember it but there probably wasn't much there yet. There are not many towns in Southern Africa that I didn't spend a couple of days in as a kid.

In some ways, Secunda is more remote than Kwa Dukuza but in others, you have the edge. I am only 80Km (50 Miles) or an hour away from Durban. A nice part is I am 2 Km or 1.3 Mile from a private beach, flanked by several thousand ha of beautiful natural forests. Trouble is, when you have it this good, you don't use it! I last walked in the forests 6 months ago and swam in the sea over a year ago...

But you have a town that has real shops.

Have a great week

John Bond

ElizzaScott Guest

Hi I am here for share my experience and learn some thing from other members experience.

well, since you mention it, work -in-process,
    vb express, also asp.net helps,wiz serial to tcp converter(for now) then PIC to IE or other browser , some HTM ..... just simple communications.
    I'm learning more along the way with much help HERE.

Name:  Capture7.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  83.6 KB

don
    amgen

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.