Shields Up!

Closed Thread

Thread: Shields Up!

Default Shields Up!

I have a tentative arrangement with someone to produce the ConnectOne ethernet shield as well as the Tibbo EM500/GA1000 shield (in the event Tibbo releases the long-promised firmware which I have been patiently awaiting for over a year).

They also can modify a bootloader to support the use of the PIC16F88 and PIC16F886/887 comparators to invert TX & RX eliminating the need for RS232 line driver and caps, further reducing the cost of the XINO and XINO Basic use as a simple development system. (I don't know whether this cheat will work at 3.3V.)

Default Re: Shields Up!

Would the PIC16F88 and/or PIC16F886/887 replace the PIC18F25K20? Or would they be part of the shield?

Might be interesting, for the ConectOne, to have a PIC on the shield with the AT commands "library". Kind of like a LCD serial back-pack.

Just a quick thought... How to code it? Requires more thought...
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

My thinking was to use the PIC on the main board for those who would rather not use PICAXE. I think the latest PICAXE chips are the 18M2 and 28X2 which are custom made PICs which I've yet to see datasheets on - I just started this yesterday. Since I know a smattering of PBP, I'd rather go that way.

I was drawn to this by the ultra-low cost educational potential of the XINO basic board. If they can modify the bootloader (and add current limiters on TX/RX) this could be powered from a USB port, a crank-style generator or a solar panel. A PIC on the shield would add cost - I'd prefer a ??KB I2C FRAM as an option to store AT codes. FRAM gets costly above 8KB or so but it's non-volatile. It would be more work to code but I assume you are hereby volunteering...

You could have a bare-bones development system for $6.84 (Xino kit) + $2 (PIC16F88) or for those with deeper pockets $2.25 for the PIC18F25K20. Of course, they also will work with Amicus18 main boards although w/o the small customization tweaks I think we can do on the Xino board.

I've asked about doing an XRF shield which I think would have enormous potential. I've finished these (except the details awaiting the long-promised Tibbo EM500/GA1000 firmware) and need something to do this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by dhouston View Post
    FRAM gets costly above 8KB or so but it's non-volatile.
    Had my brain been in gear that would have read that FRAM can be treated like RAM with billions of erase/write cycles which might be an advantage - or not. A 64KB SPI EEPROM is cheap. Even bigger I2C EEPROMs are even cheaper. I'll leave it to the volunteer programmer to advise on this.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.