PBP & Android Interfacing

Closed Thread

Default PBP & Android Interfacing

Hot News !

If you have ever thought that it would be great to be able to connect a PIC based development board to an Android mobile or Tablet - Dream no more!

The Android 3.1 platform (also backported to Android 2.3.4) introduces Android Open Accessory support, which allows external USB hardware to interact with an Android-powered device in a special "accessory" mode.

Google have released this functionality called the Android Open Accessory toolkit that will allow PBP developers to use open source hardware interfaces like AMICUS18 to connect multiple input devices to almost any Android system.

Like other AMICUS18 developments, PBP users can leverage off the widely available Arduino Shields, one such product is the Android Accessory Demo Shield from RT Corporation , This new shield enables PBP developers tomwork witht he AMICUS18 to create real world solutions incorporating sensors, displays, motors, and robotics that interface directly to Android mobiles and tablets.

The shield is based upon the Google Android reference design and includes the ability to interface with a wide range of sensors and control output devices like LEDs and motors.
      Previous Android designs focused on physical world interaction depended primarily on Bluetooth interface technology. That approach was often limited by wireless connectivity issues and inherent latency concerns. This caused problems in applications where real-time sensing and control are critical factors.

To address those limitations, the RT-ADK/RT-ADS design features on-board USB and computer interfaces allowing direct and reliable connection with smart phones and other Android (release 2.3.4 or later) based devices, as well as compatibility with the Arduino world and Thus AMICUS18 and PBP

Default Re: PBP & Android Interfacing

For those that want to create their own shield to connect directly to the Amicus18 / Android, Google have released the design files for their Arduino reference design, including the shield design here

That combination could be interesting.

I just got my Amicus board today. Android shields do, indeed, fit. Now I just have to write some code to make use of all the hardware.

And by the way - who decided on the name 'Amicus' ?
    Charles Linquist

What does the name Amicus mean ?
    The name Amicus derives from the Latin word Amici, meaning friend. An Amicus is a person who speaks or performs on your behalf. The Amicus18 board will become your best friend, allowing a freedom to perform tasks that you never dreamed possible.

It seemed to fit well.

Very nice stuff.

I recently got my first android-type phone; a Garmin A50. It sucks that the latest update available for this phone at Garmin-Asus is android v2.1 (Eclair), a tad short of v2.3.4 (Gingerbread).

Supposedly Garmin has pulled out of the cell phone business, so it's highly unlikely that my new phone will ever get on the list. And now I'm tied to Videotron with this phone for a while, oh well, such is life.

EDIT: And no reply since March to that question on Garmin forums:
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=17265
    Last edited by Demon; - 13th May 2011 at 15:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    I recently got my first android-type phone; a Garmin A50. It sucks that the latest update available for this phone at Garmin-Asus is android v2.1 (Eclair), a tad short of v2.3.4 (Gingerbread).
    Why be stuck to a USB cable?
    http://hak5.org/?s=garage+door+opener&x=0&y=0
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.