Saleae Logic Probe on sale at microchip.com

Closed Thread

Default Saleae Logic Probe on sale at microchip.com

A nice guy on the forum steered me toward the Saleae Logic Probe. Now after being thoroughly happy with mine in every respect ... they go on sale . This is a really great tool to use. It can even decode UART, I2C, CAN, SPI, and a few others. Really nice GUI as well, that lets you zoom the area you want quickly.

Microchip has these for 20% off for the rest of this month. They are well worth full price. Here is the link for Microchip http://www.microchipdirect.com/Produ...words=TSAL0001 20% discount available with coupon code TPZD4K6 (expires 5/31/11)

Video of the device in use: http://www.saleae.com/logic/videos/

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Saleae Logic Probe on sale at microchip.com

Yes, great little analyzer, WELL worth the money.
    And for those that may need it I just discovered that Saleae have relased the 16 channel version.

I see a strong Apple influence in their mechanical design.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Why pay for overpriced toys when you can have
    professional grade tools for FREE!!!

Thumbs up Re: Saleae Logic Probe on sale at microchip.com

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsson View Post
    Yes, great little analyzer, WELL worth the money.
    And for those that may need it I just discovered that Saleae have relased the 16 channel version.
    That $149 special looks mighty appealing.

But with my favorite PICs (18F2550 and 18F4550) running at up to 48MHz, I suppose the smart thing for me to do would be to invest in that 16 channel puppy.
    My Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus is a giant paperweight that can't even be used as a boat anchor, cause I'd be fined for polluting our waterways with electronic devices.

Not as dumb as yesterday, but stupider than tomorrow!

Yeah, the 16 channel looks cool. But on the other hand, 8 channels is a lot for most things. Aimed right, you could get a lot of trouble shooting done, even on larger PICs.

The $149 is the standard price (what I bought mine for a month or so ago). So I think its around $119 for the 8 channel with the discount code. I don't think the discount shows up until youre about ready to check out, and you will need to put in the discount code.

But yes, it is well worth either price.

Walter

With a 48 MHz CPU clock, the instruction cycle frequency of an 8-bit PIC is 12MHz, so the $149 unit will work.
    Why pay for overpriced toys when you can have
    professional grade tools for FREE!!!

Oh, 8 channels is plenty for me too, it's just that it tops out at 24MHz.

And then again, I hadn't even shopped for a logic analyser until reading this thread.

I think I have one, somewhere, a dinosaur that reads serial and parallel ports. lol

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by rmteo View Post
    With a 48 MHz CPU clock, the instruction cycle frequency of an 8-bit PIC is 12MHz, so the $149 unit will work.
    Now that's great news! I always forget about that divide by 4 thingy.

Yippee!

Ship date: May 12 2011
    Arrival date: May 15 2001

$119.20
    $13 shipping
    $5.96 GST
    $138.16 USD

or about $129.45 CDN using a conversion panel on PayPal account.
    Last edited by Demon; - 10th May 2011 at 21:55.

Cool, you'll have it in minus 10 years :P
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

I have this little but great product for a couple of years and I am very very happy.

It helped a lot when there was something wrong and could not find it. Even the simple things could be so difficult to find.

Strongly recommended!

Ioannis

Question Re: Saleae Logic Probe on sale at microchip.com

Is this logic probe a substitute for an oscilloscope (for PIC-type circuitry)?

The difference between the two is fuzzy to me. In my nooby opinion, it seems you set the timings on a scope and check the circuits, and the probe tells you what the timings are on your circuit - no settings necessary.

That video also highlights a few more extras that you get with the probe, like timings between any user-selected "points", I2C-specific information (and other protocols), 8 channels compared to 2 on the scopes, being able to save sessions, ease of taking screenshots to show you guys for questions, etc.

I already have 2 scopes, I think a 40MHz and a 60MHz, I'd have to take them out to make sure. I'm just wondering if it's now worth the hassle to set them up in my future lab or rely on this probe.

What can a scope bring that this probe does not already cover?

Has it come down to a matter of preferring to do stuff "old school"?
    Last edited by Demon; - 11th May 2011 at 14:40.

IMHO, A scope is still useful. The LOGIC is not real time unless I have not learned to use it that way yet. It seems to store a collection of data then display it for you. I would think both should rate bench space in your new lab.
    -Bert

The glass is not half full or half empty, Its twice as big as needed for the job!

http://foamcasualty.com/ - Warbird R/C scratch building with foam!

A lot of things the Logic probe can handle. But analog is not one of them. So if it is an analog signal you want to look at, or changing voltage, then you need a scope. For all digital pulses up to 5.5v (I think that is the limit) the probe works very well. So I think you want your scope in your man cave too.

Edit:

Good point Bert, about the not real time. You can set the logic probe to trigger on different inputs, but you basically press start, and then it gets its samples. After it is finished sampling, it displays them for you.

My scope is definitely collecting more dust since I bought the Saleae logic probe.
    Last edited by ScaleRobotics; - 11th May 2011 at 14:51.

Thanks guys, I totally forgot about analog. I always think as a programmer first, on / off, 0V / 5V.

I have to have the scopes up to check sine waves and stuff like that (another thing I want to get into later).

Now, is there something like this probe that you guys recommend as a multi-meter? I'm using a TES-2712 'cause it's all I could afford when I first started. I changed the battery but I'm starting to have doubts on its precision.

http://www.tes.com.tw/2700.htm

Last edited by ScaleRobotics; - 11th May 2011 at 16:16. Reason: changed image to show

Robert, you both want to have a scope and some more tools for debugging synchronized logic sugnals.

That is why a Logic Analyser has 4, 8, 16 or even 32 inputs. Youset the trigger on one or more inputs and after that it records what happens at all the inputs. Then it displays them on the screen. So you can see when channel a is high whatthe others do.

Also it supports protocols, like RS232 or I2C etc. So when you see a stream of bits, you can see what they represent in the appropriate protocol. Very handy was this when I was debbuging 1-wire devices.

If you want todo this with a scope, sure you can. With a 8 channel beast with a lot of memory and more thousands of dollars!

So every tool for its purpose.

About the multimeter, well. When I was a student I bought Hung-Chang digital multimeter and I was very happy (still have it after 30 years!). Now I use a Fluke 179 and comparing the two, surprise they do show same measurments!

OK, Fluke has one more decimal digit and true RMS and... but hey it costs 10 times more also!

Robert maybe find a friend with a good one to make parallel measurments to calibrate it.

Ioannis

For a DMM, I bought one before I figured out what I wanted to do with it. I bought a Fluke 112 (one of their cheaper range models). Then I got a little interested in low power, and wanted something to measure uA. So I then bought a very well used Fluke 37.

Mackrackit mentioned earlier that he had a Fluke 83 which measures down to 0.1 uA. That pretty much does everything (I think) that my Fluke 112 (for portable) + Fluke 37 (don't laugh, yes it is an ancient bench top DMM) It's calibration seems to agree with the 112, although the calibration is about 21 years overdue. For low power stuff, I have also heard of people using the Fluke 8050A.

But it is one of those things that it really depends what your into. They make automotive dmm's, HVAC dmm's, etc, with varying degrees of bells and whistles.
    Last edited by ScaleRobotics; - 11th May 2011 at 17:56.

Hi,
    As have been mentioned, a scope is not a logic analyzer and logic analyzer is not a scope. If you're serious about the hobby you want both and I'd probably go for a scope before a logic analyzer if I hadn't a specific need for the analyzer like right now.

A logic analyzer works with logic levels it displays a '1' when the voltage qualifies as a '1' and '0' when it doesn't but you you can't see the real voltage or the actual shape of the pulse. If something is loading the line so the voltage doesn't reach the proper level you won't see it with the analyzer but with the scope you'll be able to see that there is 'something' but that it doesn't "reach" the correct level which would likely lead you to thinking something is loading the line.

Being able to decode serial protocols are great, I've only used the async yet but it works great, I'm attaching a screenshot from LOGIC where I'm debugging some modbus-code I've been working on (for ages).

Now, one feature that IMHO would be GREAT to have on LOGIC is to be able to use one of the 8 inputs as a trigg output. That way you can set up some fairly complex trig-mechanism in LOGIC and once it trigs it also output a signal with which you can trig your scope.

/Henrik.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Logic probe came in yesterday. I had no idea it would be so small! I expected something the size of a router or at least a pack of cigarettes. This thing is about the size of a $2 coin.

And a feature that I hadn't paid attention to is the zipper soft-case; you have the unit, clips, cables, etc, all held in place by fishnets, very nice.

In this case size does not matter!

Carefull not to loose it

Ioannis

You know, at this price, you can buy a 2nd unit and have 16 channels for just a bit over $200.

I know the $300 unit has more features, but for some people that extra $100 is important in their budget.

I'm pretty sure that ain't going to work....

I sent a note to Saleae:

Hi,
    I recently purchased the 8 channel probe and would like to know if it is possible to have more than one probe work at the same time.

I was able to have 2 instances of the software running so that I could compare saved sessions, but that doesn't mean your software could pick up 2 devices.

Thanks, and have a nice day!

Probably running 2 instance would work?!? But ya never know if they allow 2 identical device like PICKIT. Not sure if they allow 2 instance either. Worth a try.

If this works, then you just need to use 1 channel on each probe as Trigger to sync both software instance.
    Steve

I suppose it's just how they designed their USB code in their drivers that's important. I can connect 2 identical USB keyboards just fine, others have been able to do the same with gaming controllers.

If we're lucky, yes, if not, I'll just have to start saving for v2 then.

Hi,
    Even if you could run two sessions, one for each LOGIC, you can't compare that to a 16 channel unit.

You want the state of all signals to be samples at exactly the same time, I'm pretty sure having two separate LOGICs won't allow that. Even if two 8 channels units was able to connect a single session used in 16-bit mode I don't think it'll work due the (small but still) buffer that is inside LOGIC. It's not going to stay in sync and if they don't it's pretty useless.

/Henrik.

True, nothing beat the real deal
    Steve

I wished I had seen this product comparison chart before:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...sQ&output=html

Digging the ESLA100 idea... but you know, clones remain clones, nothing beat the real thing for support... for 50$, I'll take the bet. Worst case scenario, it will be a beautiful Dust Gathering device
    Steve

You need also 20 more for the miniGrabbers which are NOT included. Included are the ... cables only!

Also the size is extra jumbo compared to the Logic.

More, Saleae gives you another device if yours is broken.

To be honest I was tempted...

Ioannis

from Baly's store
    Package includes

1X Logic analyzer.

1X USB 2.0 Extension Cable.

1X 8-wire Bundle
    Question:
    What's a 8-wire bundle ?!?!

Here's a 10-wire one

Will post what they meant by that once I have it in my hand.
    Last edited by mister_e; - 17th May 2011 at 21:21.
    Steve

Aha! You ordered one, didn't you?

Well, they have to meant 9 wire bundle (earth including). Otherwise, maybe it is a 7 channel logic analyzer

Ioannis

I did, I did !
    I'm not a ChingMing clone fan myself, but needed something new to mess with, and since awhile i'm on a (LALALALA) tight budget, so... why not.

Well, they have to meant 9 wire bundle (earth including). Otherwise, maybe it is a 7 channel logic analyzer
    Haha yeah but... you never heard of floating ground?!?

If pigs can fly
    imagine what a cloned Probe can do
    and how much "bacon" you saved
    [S. Monfette, 1973]

Last edited by mister_e; - 17th May 2011 at 21:58.
    Steve

I am happy with the use of my new LA1034 LogicPort.

It decoded VGA signals for use with a PIC.

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Normnet View Post
    I am happy with the use of my new LA1034 LogicPort.

It decoded VGA signals for use with a PIC.

Norm

I'm impressed, and then I'm impressed by just about everything it seems.

The LogicPort provides 34 channels sampled at 500MHz.

VGA is another one of "those things" that I wanted to dabble with, mainly for flight sim. When the connector has 15 pins, having more than 8 channels seems like a good idea.

Depends on what you want to do.... VGA is, as far as I know, an analog interface so putting a logic analyzer on the actual VGA signals probably won't do much for you. If, on the other hand you want to monitor what goes on on "the other side" of the DAC then a fast logic analyzer would be the key. But then it's the number of bits in the interface bus to the DAC and not the number of pins in the VGA connector that stipulates the number of channels you need....

/Henrik.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsson View Post
    Depends on what you want to do.... VGA is, as far as I know, an analog interface so putting a logic analyzer on the actual VGA signals probably won't do much for you. If, on the other hand you want to monitor what goes on on "the other side" of the DAC then a fast logic analyzer would be the key. But then it's the number of bits in the interface bus to the DAC and not the number of pins in the VGA connector that stipulates the number of channels you need....

/Henrik.
    For VGA timing is critical, vertical and horizontal sync as well as clocking out the D/A pixel data.
    Also additional hardware support as the PIC just isn't fast enough to determine the pixels in a line.

Norm

Finally received the clone, work as advised, no complaint, but yeah you may want to add the mini grabber probe kit to your shopping cart. As it is right now, it's just a bunch of wire with female connector on the end, something that plug perfectly on male headers (such as those on EasyPIC board)

Allow 2-4 weeks for their free delivery as well.

Not something I would highly recommend or do again, but surely cheap and workable solution.
    Steve

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.