Bluetooth module for Ipod?

Closed Thread

Default Bluetooth module for Ipod?

Hello Guys,

I want to create a small circuit with a 16F88 PIC and a few relays.

Also, I want to interface that PIC to a bluetooth module. Something like this:

But, I was wondering if anyone successfully tried this with a bluetooth module and an Ipod?

I got a bluetooth module from eBay and the Ipod doesn't even see it! But, a phone with Android does and it works!

So, before I try every single module out there until one works, I prefer to ask here first if someone has already tried it.

Thanks!

Daniel.
    Last edited by DanPBP; - 2nd October 2012 at 18:58.

Default Re: Bluetooth module for Ipod?

Hi Daniel,

I have used the very common modules available on Ebay, the ones that show up as 'Linvor' by default. Could you give more information on the one you have?

If you just power them up, without even connecting them to a micro, they show up on an Android for sure.

And sure, they work great with pics. The range is a bit modest, though.

Remember they are 3.3 volt devices, unless you buy the ones mounted on a pcb with a 3.3 volt LDO, in which case they can be powered from 5 volts. The USART pins are still 3.3, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ardhuru View Post
    I have used the very common modules available on Ebay, the ones that show up as 'Linvor' by default. Could you give more information on the one you have?
    Yes, that's the one I have. The one that comes mounted on the PCB.

If you just power them up, without even connecting them to a micro, they show up on an Android for sure.
    Yes, they do! But, I found Apple uses a custom authentication process and not every bluetooth module will work. Check the ones from www.rovingnetworks.com for more information, but those are crazy expensive! Apple requirements to work with bluetooth devices are plain stupid from every single point of view, but I'm stuck with them.

And sure, they work great with pics. The range is a bit modest, though.
    Enough for my application, a wireless custom LED controller.

Remember they are 3.3 volt devices, unless you buy the ones mounted on a pcb with a 3.3 volt LDO, in which case they can be powered from 5 volts. The USART pins are still 3.3, though.
    That's right!

Last edited by DanPBP; - 10th October 2012 at 16:34.

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post

Yes, they do! But, I found Apple uses a custom authentication process and not every bluetooth module will work. Check the ones from www.rovingnetworks.com for more information, but those are crazy expensive! Apple requirements to work with bluetooth devices are plain stupid from every single point of view, but I'm stuck with them.

Ah, one learns!

As one who keeps away from all Apple products, I had no idea they'd do this to something as basic as b/t comms. Sure dont envy your task!