Making PCB, best software

Closed Thread

Default Making PCB, best software

Hi
    I just installed Orcad 16.3, and I have a difficulties where to go to build a PCB so I can send that to production.
    Can someone tell me of a software that is user friendly for making PCB boards.
    thanks

K

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Making PCB, best software

Hi;

Orcad is very good, however not very user friendly, i thing Eagle is more user Friendly, and it haves lots of component libraries, and many others on the net. Even to make a component is easy.

I think you should try it.
    Thanks and Regards;
    Gadelhas

The little version of Eagle is free. Try with no money down.

Orcad is good ? is it called PCB editor ? because I could not figure out where to take parts from... maybe an online tutorial would be good
    All I have thats looks similar is Orcad PCB editor and Prcad PCB Router.

K
    Last edited by lerameur; - 17th March 2011 at 20:00.

Sprint Layout is inexpensive ($56) and very intuitive. IMO it's the best available for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by lerameur View Post
    Orcad is good ? is it called PCB editor ? because I could not figure out where to take parts from... maybe an online tutorial would be good
    All I have thats looks similar is Orcad PCB editor and Prcad PCB Router.

K
    Orcad it's not Good, it's Very Good!!!! And yes is called Orcad PCB Editor, but like i said, it's not very user friendly!!!
    Try Eagle free, and you will not be disapointing!
    Thanks and Regards;
    Gadelhas

Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

I'll vote for KI-Cad -- no board size limits and FREE decent size library
    Took 4 hours to LEARN & make first PCB.
    Download the FREE JAVA autorouter, it is really amazing.

Eagle has some really weird key / mouse strokes.
    i.e to highlight an area you need click the block highlight button, then highlight the area, then tell what you want to do [normal], then do it, then tell it again that you really wanted to do it.

One thing for sure
    They all have quirks :lol:

You may want to investigate DesignSpark

http://www.designspark.com/knowledge/pcb

its free, its commercial grade and its fully funded by RS Components.

Eagle is great for precision, but has a high learning curve.

Ares is considerably easier, with a lower learning curve...but requires purchase.

If you are doing it for hobby stuff, on a hobby price, then find one that has a learning curve proportional to your expected use. If you want to use it once, and that's it, then get the simplest thing you can. Make sure you get DRC, though. (That's Design Rule Checking; it looks for errors in spacing.)

Over the last few years I've been using WinQcad for both personal and professional projects. I found it easy to learn, and it's free up to quite a large size - I've never had a project too big for the free version. If you get stuck, you do need to buy it in order to get support, but the cost is quite small compared to other professional grade stuff (don't get turned off by the amateurish icons). It does nice schematic capture, comes with a large library of devices and footprints, an amazing auto-router, and it generates the Gerber files most board shops prefer, or acurate PDFs if you want to roll your own.
    Details here: http://www.winqcad.com/features.html
    Highly recommended by a happy user that has no association with the company.

Quote Originally Posted by dhouston View Post
    Sprint Layout is inexpensive ($56) and very intuitive. IMO it's the best available for the price.
    Dave, does this program allow you to make a curved PCB? I have one application for a key fob.
    Name:  PICT9277s.JPG
Views: 2046
Size:  107.7 KB

I use Express PCB and Pad2Pad free schematic and PCB programs but have to purchase the PCBs from them. The prices and product are good but I would have to pay an additional fee for the Gerber files if I needed them.
    Louie

Quote Originally Posted by LinkMTech View Post
    Dave, does this program allow you to make a curved PCB? I have one application for a key fob
    You should be able to do that although I've never tried anything like that. Why don't you email them a picture or even d/l the demo software? I have done radii on silkscreens.You can do an equilateral polygon and then split the track at any of its vertices. that would let you build an arc of short segments.

There's also an Import Bitmap function that would probably fit your needs. Again, I've never had the need so I've not tried it.
    Last edited by dhouston; - 13th April 2011 at 22:05.

Thanks Dave,
    I downloaded and tried the demo version. It is possible to create the same PCB using 4 different size circles in their correct positions then moving the segments to intersect with each other.
    I'm gonna check out some of these others mentioned too.
    Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Over the last few years I've been using WinQcad for both personal and professional projects. I found it easy to learn, and it's free up to quite a large size - I've never had a project too big for the free version. ...
    Details here: http://www.winqcad.com/features.html
    Highly recommended by a happy user that has no association with the company.

I've been using an old version for quite some time; Qcad v28.3. I found it very easy to learn and it was my introduction into electronics. Now I make double-sided PCBs with it.

The free version works up to 500 pins, no other limitation, autorouter included.

The new payware version is expensive though; $400 for 1000 pins, $800 for unlimitted pins. A little too rich for my blood.
    My Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus is a giant paperweight that can't even be used as a boat anchor, cause I'd be fined for polluting our waterways with electronic devices.

Not as dumb as yesterday, but stupider than tomorrow!

I took Mackrackit's suggestiona and went with KiCAD... I tried eagle and diptrace without much success.

There is a pretty active discussion group on ... http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/kicad-users

It really boils down to which ever program you choose, you are going to have to invest a few hours working through several tutorials and learn the software.

KiCAD seems to be quite capable. It has a link to an external router that is amazing (and fun to watch). The built in router required several vias on a double sided board. But the external router got rid of them all. KiCAD maintains separate schematic and PCB Pad libraries. So, for example, you can just choose a SPDT switch for your schematic. Then when you layout the board you choose (or build your own) the correct PCB pad layout for your specific physical switch dimentions. I myself like that. Which ever one you choose, you should google "KiCAD Tutorial" or "Dip Trace Tutorial", etc. etc. They all have tutorials available. Also check YouTube for video tutorials.

Good Luck
    Dwight
    These PIC's are like intricate puzzles just waiting for one to discover their secrets and MASTER their capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    I've been using an old version for quite some time; Qcad v28.3. I found it very easy to learn and it was my introduction into electronics. Now I make double-sided PCBs with it.

The free version works up to 500 pins, no other limitation, autorouter included.

The new payware version is expensive though; $400 for 1000 pins, $800 for unlimitted pins. A little too rich for my blood.
    WOW, you're right! The last time I bought the pay version (I had a technical question) it was $25. I guess he decided to make a business out of it. At any rate, 500 pins still covers all my needs, so the free version would be fine, or my paid version which I think is 51.7.
    Last edited by Demon; - 4th October 2016 at 17:17.

I use the software from pad2pad. It is very easy to use. The downside is that you have to make your PCBs with them. I tried Eagle once but it was too complicated so I decided not to put too much effort into it since I had a lot of other stuff that I needed to learn.
    "No one is completely worthless. They can always serve as a bad example."

Anonymous

rsocor01 , If you ask them when ordering they can supply you with the gerbers for a one time charge of $25.

Dave Purola,
    N8NTA

Hi,

Multisim/Ultiboard 11 ...

somewhat complicated for a newbie ( I've used Ultimate suite 5.7x for 10 years before , but new motherboards lost their // port ( for the Dongle ...) and serial port ( for the Picstart + ) ), but VERY VERY VERY nice result ...

and Overall the 3D view !!!

here is a small example ...

Alain
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Acetronics2; - 26th April 2011 at 15:11.
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Acetronics View Post
    Multisim/Ultiboard 11 ...
    For the price ($3600+ Utiboard) it should do 3D manufacturing - not just simulation.

I was wrong - you could do 3-D manufacturing and have money left over.
    Last edited by dhouston; - 15th May 2011 at 14:04.

using ultiboard for 20 years , still today. (european favorite) looking for another program.
    yearly update and maintenance fee is very high, and no support from NI.
    changing to another system is a pain, i must redraw all the designs, (more than 500.)

and what abt altium ???

rgds
    tb
    Last edited by tiger_bel; - 19th May 2011 at 03:53.

Whatever you choose, keep previous software you have, just to maintain ol design in snap.

Been a long time P-CAD user, always been pleased with, the few time I asked for support they were pretty fast, so Altium should be the same.

For me, after over 15 years with the same software "thinking"/"minding"/"Workflow", moving to another software (Eagle) have been a huge pain in the a$$. Not to mention all the time lost to re-create custom parts in the library.

I'll probably go back to Altium one day.
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.