8 33.33%
  • How to build an Ultrasonic Ranger by jellis00

1 4.17%
  • How to use the HLVD module by jellis00

0 0%
  • 5x5x5 Red-Green LED Cube by ozarkshermit

3 12.50%
Closed Thread

Default Forum Community Competition - Winner gets a BigPic4 development board

Please wait, while we await Crownhill's approval on this. We should have more information within 24 hours. Thanks for your patience.
    Last edited by ScaleRobotics; - 22nd January 2011 at 23:48. Reason: Pause for approval
    http://www.scalerobotics.com

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Forum Community Competition - Winner gets a BigPic4 development board

Through a generous donation by rmteo, we are holding our first Wiki Project writing competition. The prize for the winning project Wiki (as voted by the registered users) will be a used Mikro Elektronika BigPic4 development board with a 80-pin PIC18F8520. (Comes without LCD's or SDCard).

Name:  bigpic4.jpg
Views: 2509
Size:  105.6 KB

Any registered user can enter. Your project doesn't need to be the most elaborate or the most complicated. It does need to be clearly written and include a schematic and PicBasic code, with hopefully a picture, or possibly a youtube video to help show your completed creation, and or in action. You may use other peoples ideas, but you MUST give them credit, and link to their post(s), and or websites. Although you are allowed to use other peoples ideas, this needs to be YOUR project. The documentation needs to be 100% done by you.
    By entering, you are deemed to have accepted the rules of the competition, located here: http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/cont...y-Competitions

Please post you project here:
    http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/content.php?r=284

Users should judge the articles based on:
    1. Are your description/instructions, pictures and schematics clearly written, and well placed?
    2. Usefulness - Does your project address a common problem? Is this something that would be helpful to many other users?
    3. Creativity - Find a creative way to solve a common problem? How about a creative way to display your Wiki? Need the use of a website to make your Wiki really special, then sign up for free space here at the picbasic forum! See http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/cont...ee-Web-Hosting for free web hosting details.

Good luck!

All entries must be in by Feb 28th. There will be a vote by the users of the forum on March 1st to decide the winner.
    You can start to work on your Wiki article at any time. The location to create a new wiki (Once you have read and agree to the rules) is here: http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/content.php?r=284
    Here is some general info about publishing a Wiki: http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/cont...ish-an-article

When you are done editing, let one of the moderators know, and we will make it "Live". If you need help, just ask for it, and we will answer any of your questions. You can either ask your questions on this thread, or by private message to ScaleRobotics , or any of the other moderators.

Thanks,

Walter
    Last edited by mackrackit; - 23rd January 2011 at 17:39.
    http://www.scalerobotics.com

Just a reminder, there are just over 3 weeks left to get your Wiki entry in for a chance (right now a pretty BIG chance, as I don't see any work started) to win a BigPic4 development board. This is the first prize of this value being given away on the forum. If this is successful, there is a possibility of other prizes in the future.

So go ahead. Don't be shy, share one of your projects big or small.

http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/content.php?r=288

While you are editing your project on the wiki site, it will remain invisible to other members until you ask a moderator to publish it.

What we have to post?Sorry But I can't unterstand you

Quote Originally Posted by SKOLS1 View Post
    What we have to post?Sorry But I can't unterstand you
    Hello Skols1,

No one has to post anything. We received a kind donation from one of our dedicated members. We are holding a competition of sorts to try to get more people involved in documenting their latest PIC project on our wiki site. I think my previous post pretty much explains it. See http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/show...8389#post98389 Let me know if you have any specific questions. There are plenty of Wiki articles here to get an idea of what others have done: http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/content.php?r=5

Thanks,

Walter

Default Re: Forum Community Competition - Winner gets a BigPic4 development board

I really want to enter this, Just trying to come up with an idea. Hmmm.....
    -Bert

The glass is not half full or half empty, Its twice as big as needed for the job!

http://foamcasualty.com/ - Warbird R/C scratch building with foam!

Default Re: Forum Community Competition - Winner gets a BigPic4 development board

How about asking who's working on? Could be a poll, or people just send a PM to Walter... Just to get the count.

In the Poll you could even ask if they feel to have enough time to finish.

If people just need more time to think about it, they should say ASAP.

my 2 cents, rules are ruless... The giveaway is really interesting here...
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Ok, all the articles are in, and we are impressed! Great projects guys. If you have not had a chance to check them all out, here they are: http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/cont...PIC4-Dev-Board

After you have decided which one you like best, come back here and vote! The winner will receive the BigPic4 board.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ScaleRobotics; - 1st March 2011 at 06:11.

Get your votes in. As soon as this one closes, I have another development board to give away. It is an EasyPIC4 that comes with a PIC16F917, PIC18F4620 and a ZIF socket already installed in the 40-pin position (sorry, no GLCD, only the LCD).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Why pay for overpriced toys when you can have
    professional grade tools for FREE!!!

Hey, come on guys, this competition has been tied for a day, with only 11 total votes. These are some pretty cool projects. Let's give them a respectfull vote! Can everyone Please vote on their favorite project? I'd hate to have to break the board in half for them, rmteo would have to pay double shipping.

Thank you!

Walter

Last chance to vote. Let's close this up! How about we call the winner at Midnight Pacific Time, about 21 hours from now. We had planned on ending it earlier, but we were neck to neck for quite a while, with a bit too few votes.

I bet that only moderators and admins had voted...

Ioannis

Quote Originally Posted by Ioannis View Post
    I bet that only moderators and admins had voted...

Ioannis
    You lose I voted on the first day.
    -Bert

The glass is not half full or half empty, Its twice as big as needed for the job!

OK, it is of these rare moments that I like to loose!

Ioannis

Quote Originally Posted by cncmachineguy View Post
    You lose I voted on the first day.
    Me too....
    Thanks and Regards;
    Gadelhas

Quote Originally Posted by gadelhas View Post
    Me too....
    To be fair, whilst the competition itself was obvious enough, the voting deadlines were'nt - I only stumbled upon the deadline today becuase I happen to have a question in the sub forum and wandered into this thread again. (I've since cast my vote)

It's a lot of work towards submiting an entry & I'm sure most forum posters would support/vote for the entrants *if* they had better visibility and reminders of the impending deadline .......perhaps something highly visible to alert all on the main forum homepage would yield more voting?

Anyway...good work to all those who entered & good luck.

How about we call the winner at Midnight Pacific Time, about 21 hours from now.
    That sounds far too soon to me

Then again I'm 10 -8 down

LEDave

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    To be fair, whilst the competition itself was obvious enough, the voting deadlines were'nt - I only stumbled upon the deadline today becuase I happen to have a question in the sub forum and wandered into this thread again. (I've since cast my vote)

It's a lot of work towards submiting an entry & I'm sure most forum posters would support/vote for the entrants *if* they had better visibility and reminders of the impending deadline .......perhaps something highly visible to alert all on the main forum homepage would yield more voting?

Anyway...good work to all those who entered & good luck.
    Hello Hank,

You are right. Yes, we will have to look for ways to make it more visible. I originally, naively, thought we could get all votes in in a day or two, and declare the winner. Boy was I wrong! And it wasn't till about two or three days before the submission deadline that I knew there would be more than 1 entrant in the competition! When the voting started, I made an "announcement" to last until I turned it off. But it looks like you can only see "announcements" if you click on FORUM and then the main topics, like mel PIC BASIC Pro for instance. I also tried a few pleading posts, begging for people to vote. But you are right, we need to do something better. Perhaps next time we will ask permission to take down the landing page info for PicBasicPRo, and replace it with the entrants submissions, etc. Definitely lots to learn from what went wrong, and what (hopefully) didn't. Lot's to do different if there is a next time. We welcome any and all comments for improvement.

As for the duration of voting ... How long do you think it should it last?

Thanks guys,

Walter

I am sure some will take offence to this... Oh well...

Folks that come here with the intention to learn and help will have seen this thread. The "New Post" button does work.

Those coming here only to ask a question and not give back to the community probably will not see this thread.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

That could be Dave

But I know there are more than 22 givers and helpers out there!

Smile Re: Forum Community Competition - Winner gets a BigPic4 development board

I think that the intention was the better as possible!!!
    I also had difficulty to vote but as I was having access always to follow, and then I placed the link in my favourites when I read the announcement of Walter. Link in the well easy homepage would be really good for having one to see. This already would be enough to mine to see. Either who will be the winner, I already is happy in participating. It was very rewarding for me.
    Congratulations for promoting a competition so pretty

Pimentel

Yay--I'm a giver and a helper! Nicest thing that's been said about me in some time!

I voted early (the hard part was deciding for which project to vote--several are quite good) but not very often. Bet I could figure out a way to run up the numbers... (Just kidding!)

Best Regards,
    Paul
    The way to avoid mistakes is to gain experience. The way to gain experience is to make mistakes.

Question Re: Forum Community Competition - Winner gets a BigPic4 development board

Hello,

Any news about competition ?

Thank you

Pimentel

Quote Originally Posted by Pimentel View Post
    Hello,

Any news about competition ?

Pimentel
    Yes. You are the winner! I sent you a PM a few days ago. If you could private message either myself, or rmteo your mailing addres, we can arrange shipment of the board.

Many thanks to all that have participated.

Walter

CONGRATULATIONS

Pimental!!! And every else who entered! I must say this was hard to judge.

I think this went pretty well for the first contest. Thank you all who made this possible.
    -Bert

Hi Pimentel,

Congratulations on your project winning, very good indeed.

Also thanks to the organisers and prize donation and last but not least all those who voted.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDave View Post
    Hi Pimentel,

Congratulations on your project winning, very good indeed.

Also thanks to the organisers and prize donation and last but not least all those who voted.

Dave.

Thank you Dave!
    I liked very much of your project. The dispute was good!
    I have seen this type of camera in the Monsterquest of Discovery Channel. It is a very good project also!

Thanks again to all who voted
    The next competition will be better certainly...and I will be there!

Pimentel

Quote Originally Posted by cncmachineguy View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS

Pimental!!! And every else who entered! I must say this was hard to judge.

I think this went pretty well for the first contest. Thank you all who made this possible.

Thank you Bert !
    Until the next one...
    Pimentel

Oh boy, I think I'm too late for this one.

Just saw it now, we really gotta work on the visibility for contests.

Maybe we can make them stickies across all forums?
    My Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus is a giant paperweight that can't even be used as a boat anchor, cause I'd be fined for polluting our waterways with electronic devices.

Not as dumb as yesterday, but stupider than tomorrow!

Just saw it now, we really gotta work on the visibility for contests.
    There is a button at the top left.."New Posts".
    And if I remember correctly Walter emailed the forum about this contest.

What more could be done? If users do not take the time to look around or at least click the "New Post"...
    Dave

For a first contest I guess it's not that bad, nothing that can be called an EPIC FAIL.

I think the main problem is more the lifetime of the user in here, some just came here for their school work or for a single problem... and we don't see them after.

How better this would be to have 2nd and 3rd position & prices... time will tell. Better begin the contest somewhere in August and allows 'till November/December for the results. This way you grab the students and the regulars. Post an update/reminder each 1-2 week could help.

my 2 cents
    Steve

Steve,
    what do you mean by
    " and prices "
    ?
    Dave

Default Mood or Moon, Prize or price... that's the question :D

prize... prize
    Steve

Now I get it.
    Good ideas!
    Dave

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.