Selecting an ethernet socket

Closed Thread

Default Selecting an ethernet socket

Hi, I'm planning to have a go at using ethernet with PICs. I thought I would start with the ENC28J60 but eventually I want to move onto 32-bit PICs which have ethernet built in. I've been reading the datasheet for the ENC28J60 but I don't understand the magnetics part. I've been looking at ethernet sockets that have built in magnetics as they are supposed to be simpler but I'm still having a hard time picking the correct one.

I've been looking at these 2. I found this numbering system on another site for the same part. Both parts seem to be 10/100 5core. I tried googling to find out what these cores are but I didn't find anything that made sense. The only thing I can think of is that it references the number of wires that are used.

Is there a page somewhere that explains what all this stuff means in detail or can someone give me some information on it? I know I could get a plugin module to do the job but I want to learn how to do it myself.

Default Re: Selecting an ethernet socket

Hi;

Use the HR911105A, it is very used with the ENC28J60.

Regards
    Thanks and Regards;
    Gadelhas

I've had a look on the electronics sites I normally use but I can't find that part anywhere.

I've found these in Rapid that look like they should do the job. The datasheets on Rapid's site appear to be wrong but I googled the part numbers and found this datasheet. They are wired up the same as the HR911105A as far as I can see.

I believe Fred Eady used Pulse JP011821U on his ENC28J60 board.

However, there are far simpler ways to accomplish this. For example...Us youngsters have to keep you old guys somewhat current.

Not sure if you saw edtp's code for a PIC18F67J60, but it is another option as well. His project became two articles in Nuts and Volts magazine back in 2007. http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/show...8612#post98612

dhouston: The JP011821U looks to be the same as the HR911105A and the SI-60062-F so I think I would be alright buying the SI-60062-F from Rapid.

I did think about those convertor boards but I'm going to have about 15 devices that need ethernet so it would be more cost effective to use PICs with built in ethernet. I'm starting with the ENC28J60 so I can test things out on a breadboard first. I want to learn how to do this too. I don't just want a plugin module that does it all for me. Plus the data speed would be limited by the serial side of it.

And who are you calling old? I'm only 23. :P

scalerobotics: I did see that PDF. I didn't read the whole thing but it looks like its more about the programming side. I'm hoping I can keep it simple (and quick) by sending data over layer2 instead of implementing a TCP/IP stack. In any case I'm quite good at the programming parts. At least on 8-bit PICs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by The Master View Post
    And who are you calling old? I'm only 23. :P
    I'm neary 70 so that was definitely :P

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.