Newbe: Nested For..Next loops problem

Closed Thread

Default Newbe: Nested For..Next loops problem

Hi Guy's

I'm having problems with MCSP and PBP reporting a for..next loop error for the code below.

the error reported is:

'Error Line 94: FOR without matching NEXT. (sampling.pbp)
    'Error Line 96: FOR without matching NEXT. (sampling.pbp)'

These are the For index.... and For index2.... in my code.

But i can see the two next statements and they are in line.

I have even but then together before cutting and pasting my code in between. What am I doing wrong?

The code below is some not elegant code I'm starting to work on, where I would like to take 10 samples for each of three sensors, hence the need for a 10 way loop within a 3 way loop.

I'm sure there is a better way of doing it, but i'm learning at the moment and trying things out.

Eventually I want to record the highest and lowest two reading, drop these and average the remaining 8 samples. Only if I get a valid reading (DS18B20 temp sensors)

Code:
    mainloop:

For index = 1 to 3 step 1                                   ; read 10 values for 3 sensors

FOR index2 = 1 to 10  step 1                            ; Take 10 reading

IF temp_val[index2] < temp_val_lo[index] then       ; is readlng lower than lowest
                temp_val_lo[index] = temp_val[index2]           ; update lowest
                temp1[index] = temp1[index] + temp_val[index2]  ; add reading to running total 

ELSE IF temp_val[index2] > temp_val_hi[index] then  ; is reading higher than highest
                temp_val_hi[index] = temp_val[index2]           ; update highest

ELSE                                                ; if reading not highest or lowest 

NEXT index2                                             ; update next reading

NEXT index                                                  ; update next sensor

GOTO mainloop

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Newbe: Nested For..Next loops problem

Sorted it!

It was another issue lower down in the code, a missing ENDIF causing the compiler not to find the the two NEXT statements.

It was really bugging me for a while. Should have had a cup of coffee and re-look at the code.

Lesson learned !

Thank for the forum space

Hi, Biggazzzz

3 sensors ???

could also be written

Code:
    mainloop:

For index = 1 to 3                                          ; read 10 values for 3 sensors

FOR index2 = 1 to 10                                    ; Take 10 reading

IF temp_val[index2] < temp_val_lo[index] then       ; is readlng lower than lowest
                temp_val_lo[index] = temp_val[index2]           ; update lowest

ELSE IF temp_val[index2] > temp_val_hi[index] then  ; is reading higher than highest
                temp_val_hi[index] = temp_val[index2]           ; update highest

ENDIF

NEXT index2                                             ; update next reading

NEXT index                                                  ; update next sensor

GOTO mainloop
    as you add temp1[index] to total whatever the value ...

Alain
    Last edited by Acetronics2; - 12th February 2011 at 15:18.
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Cheers Alain,

Anything to make the code look better and save code space

Having a bit of a problem with the final maths i.e. dropping the highest and lowest readings and divide result 8.

for some reason result (636) // 8 is giving be 0.4 and not 0.5 as expected. I'm still working on it before I bail out and ask why here

Hi,
    I'm sure you've figured it out by now but the // operator returns the "reminder". When you // by 10 this happens to be what would be on the right hand side of the decimal point but when // by 8 it's not.

(636/8=79.5)
    636 / 8 = 79 and 636 // 8 = 4 because 79*8+4=636

(636 / 10 = 63.6)
    636 / 10 = 63 and 636 // 10 = 6 because 63*10+6=636

thanks guy's

I was going for the following

636 was the running total of 10 samples minus the highest and lowest. That left 8 samples.

I therefore wanted to divide 636 by to get 79.5.

I ended up multiplying by 50 and diving by 4, then handle the digits either side of the decimal place (see example) it's work in progress, but welcome any pointers

Code:
    temp_val[1] = 100                   ; real tempeture 10.0c
    temp_val[2] = 115                   ; 11.5c
    temp_val[3] = 122                   ; 12c etc...
    temp_val[4] = 139
    temp_val[5] = 150
    temp_val[6] = 130
    temp_val[7] = 80
    temp_val[8] = 100
    temp_val[9] = 115
    temp_val[10] = 252

' total = 1301
    ' lowest = 8.0c
    ' highest = 25.2c
    ' middle 8 samples = 971
    ' average of the 8 sample = 121.1375 or 12.137c

;----[Main Program]---------------------------------------------------------
    mainloop:

'index = 0
    'index2 = 0

temp1[1] = 0
    temp1[2] = 0
    temp1[3] = 0

for index = 1 to 3 step 1                                   ; Take 10 sampels from 3 sensors

For index2 = 1 to 10  step 1                            ; Take 10 reading

IF index2 = 1 THEN
                temp_val_lo[index] = temp_val[1]                ; Set initial lowest reading to first reading
                temp_val_hi[index] = temp_val[1]                ; Set initial highest reading to first reading
            endif

LCDOUT $fe,1,"Sensor ",DEC index, " Data ",DEC index2

if temp_val[index2] <= temp_val_lo[index] then      ; If readling lower than lowest
                temp_val_lo[index] = temp_val[index2]           ; Update lowest

elseif temp_val[index2] => temp_val_hi[index] then  ; If reading higher than highest
                temp_val_hi[index] = temp_val[index2]           ; Update highest

ENDIF                                               ; Else reading is not highest or lowest and....
                temp1[index] = temp1[index] + temp_val[index2]  ; Add reading to running total

next index2                                             ; Update next sample

temp1[index] = temp1[index] - temp_val_hi[index]    ; Subtract the highest reading

temp1[index] = temp1[index] - temp_val_lo[index]    ; Subtract the lowest reading

temp1[index] = (temp1[index] * 50)/4                ; Get rid of the decimal places

LCDOUT $FE,1, "Sensor = ",DEC index
            LCDOUT $FE, $C0,"Temp = ",DEC temp1[index] DIG 4, DEC temp1[index] DIG 3,".", DEC temp1[index] dig 2, dec temp1[index] dig 1, dec temp1[index] Dig 0

PAUSE 2000    

next index                                                  ; update next sensor

PAUse 5000

goto mainloop

End

Name:  Fineline.PNG
Views: 290
Size:  13.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    Sorted it!

It was another issue lower down in the code, a missing ENDIF causing the compiler not to find the the two NEXT statements.
    Exactly what FinelineIDE is for.
    Red "O" is for orphan.

Norm
    Last edited by Normnet; - 13th February 2011 at 19:09.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.