Need help with PIC chips (New person)

Closed Thread

Default Need help with PIC chips (New person)

Well first of all hi guys. I'd like to just say this now I have never done anything with PIC chips however when my computer teacher mentioned them I thought it would be cool for my senior project to be programed with a PIC chip
    The project itself is here: http://www.instructables.com/id/turn...biking-jacket/ However I'm going to be building my own board and like I said earlier I'll be using a PIC chip to program the LEDs to flash.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

ok, i wish you good luck

do u know how to program a PIC ?

if you dont, you have to learn PIC programming first.( it is easy !!)

i can suggest some books with experements inside them and easy to learn step by step procedures.

just tell me what do u want exactly.

BW

Default programmer

If you do not yet have a programmer I would suggest you get a PICKit 2 or maybe a 3. They are simple and quite reliable and not that expensive. The PICKit 2 is my favorite.

A good programmer is very important to get started and these are in my oppinion the best.

malc-c Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AngelInTheNight View Post
    Well first of all hi guys. I'd like to just say this now I have never done anything with PIC chips however when my computer teacher mentioned them I thought it would be cool for my senior project to be programed with a PIC chip
    The project itself is here: http://www.instructables.com/id/turn...biking-jacket/ However I'm going to be building my own board and like I said earlier I'll be using a PIC chip to program the LEDs to flash.
    To be honest something like that doesn't need the investment of a PIC, programmer and all the associated software such as PBP. You could do this with a simple NE555 timer in astable mode and a couple of transistors.

^ While that's true this is a big project and we're supposed be challenged. Also my school has everything I'll need so why waste it?

Also no I've never programed a PIC chip before. So if anyone could teach me how that would be really really great.

i recommend "30 projects in pic basic and pic basic pro" by dogan ibrahim as a starting point.

the good thing about this book is that it is simple, step by step, and include simple projects to do at home. from single led blinking to a/d conversion with serial comm to PC.

i used this book as a starting point. i was able to start programming pic within 2 weeks.

good luck

All right thanks guys for the help.
    Last edited by AngelInTheNight; - 2nd November 2010 at 17:01.

malc-c Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AngelInTheNight View Post

Also no I've never programed a PIC chip before. So if anyone could teach me how that would be really really great.
    The most basic function is to program a PIC to flash an LED - there are lots of examples on the net and in this forum, using PicBASIC Pro. Start there and then start developing that program to flash more leds in sequences etc - I think this is how most of us started out

Also if anyone wants to help me even more we need to have mentors who can help out and work in the area we're studying. If anyone is intrested please message me for more details.

malc-c Guest

I think the best course of action is to start a thread (or add to this one) as and when you have questions. Start by describing what works and what doesn't, what PIC you are using, what programmer you are using and which version of PicBasic Pro you are using.

You will need to post up your code so we can see what you have written. To do this use copy & paste and then paste the code between the code tags. "["code"]" and "["/code"]" but without the " "

The best way to get started is to write a simple bit of code to flash a LED. so your homework for tonight is to write a small bit of code to flash a LED. If you don't have one I would strongly recommend you get a solderless breadboad so you can simply plug the parts in and wire up the circuit easily. Post up you code when done and we'll go from their. I'm not offering to mentor you, but you'll find that me and other folks here will help you pick up the basics, and possibly help you develop your full project. You'll find you get better response in this approach than simply asking for others to take on your project for your.

Oh and try and write the flashy LED from scratch (use the PBP manual as your reference if you must) rather than downloading an existing example

What PIC do you intend to use by the way ????
    Last edited by malc-c; - 6th January 2011 at 19:14.

Everything Malcolm said... And I will add.

Do not waste money on a book, plenty of samples here
    http://melabs.com/resources/samples-pbp-general.htm
    and folks on this forum that will give you real life answers.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

google is free
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Default Re: Need help with PIC chips (New person)

Unfortunely our mentors must sign papers otherwise i would just post here if something goes wrong or whatever.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.