PIC BASIC based 5kW Wind turbine controller network interface

Closed Thread

Default PIC BASIC based 5kW Wind turbine controller network interface

Hello Guys,

I'm researching for a wind turbine controller based on PIC BASIC that I'm doing for my senior project. My team is going to build a wind turbine controller for a company that I am interning at. So far, we know that we will be using sensors, we will be interpreting the data from the sensors, we will be using actuators based on the data from the sensors, and finally, we will send the data to a remote base and analyze it.

So for our first step, we need to find out what we will be using to send the data. We are thinking 3G but that might be too much. It'd be much appreciated if you can also link to one of your favorite ways to connect to remote devices. Can anybody point me in the right direction? We need to know what devices are available, what services they use, what chips they are compatible with, etc.

Many thanks!
    Jerry

malc-c Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Jerry,
    When you say "wind turbine" are you looking at something that generates power or do you mean something like a weather station that simply reports the wind speed ?

If it to generate power then exactly what do you want to achieve with these "sensors", what do you want to "feedback" (wind speed, power output ????)

What coding experience do you have?? - most of the experienced guys here are keen to help, but don't expect them to write the code for you.... unless you have deep pockets and willing to pay

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Sounds like a great project.

I'm a controls engineer by profession. Generally, I would not implement closed loop control off a wireless device. There are a lot of factors that affect wireless comms. If you insist on this route, make sure there is a PIC at either end and a heartbeat so that the controller doesn't run away in the event of a comms loss.

And, if it is going through a hard wired network, make sure there is a PIC at either end and a heartbeat so that the controller doesn't run away in the event of a comms loss.

So, my favorite ways to connect to remote devices is directly through a wire.

What sensors did you have in mind? wind speed? Wind Direction? Rotor speed?

In general most industrial sensors (temperature and pressure) are 4-20ma which easily converts into 1-5vdc, which a pic can read. I'd expect you have a potentiometer that gives wind direction and you rotate the turbine into it. then you regulate the charge rate based on load (or lack of it)

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.