Device not recognized with PIC18F13K50 and ...14K50

Closed Thread

Hybrid View

Default Device not recognized with PIC18F13K50 and ...14K50

Been playing around with the PIC18F13K50 and 14K50 with PBP to utilise the UBS functionality via a "Low Pin Count Development Kit Board". After programming, I can connect the PIC & board up to my home XP desktop PC through USB and it works a treat. However, if I connect it up any other computer, I receive a "USB Device Not Recognized" message and suffice to say I have no USB access.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks for any help,

Troy

Probably missing the driver.
    Look in the PBP directory -- USB18-- for mchpcdc.inf
    Copy that to the other machines.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Dave,
    I don't think (caveat: this is all pretty new to me) it's a driver issue. I've tried to load that driver, but these systems aren't looking for a driver and refuse to load it when I point them to it. It's as if there's enough communication between the host and the PIC to recognize there is a valid USB device attached to it, but there doesn't appear to be any identification of the device coming through or information about what type of USB device it's supposed to be. I've looked in the assembler code and all the relevant ID headers etc appear to be in that, but for some reason it's not making it to the host? It's as if the host is saying "well, I don't know anything about this USB device so it's pointless changing the driver for it".
    One thing I did notice was that the machine that does communicate with it has XP service pack 3 installed on it where 2 of the other machines I've tried it on don't. Could that be important?

Thanks,

Troy.

Looks like we need more info.
    Is the project a CDC or HID?
    Hardware -- capacitor value on VUSB?
    How often is the the USB serviced?
    Version of PBP?

Posting the code will help.
    Dave

Looks like we need more info.
    Is the project a CDC or HID?
    CDC - the bog standard example that comes with PBP in the PIC18 directory
    Hardware -- capacitor value on VUSB?
    I'm using a Microchip Low Pin Count USB development board BS41356B (or just 41356B) and the capacitor on VUSB looks like a 0.047uf by looking at the schematic of the board.

How often is the the USB serviced?
    Again, it's the standard CDC example with PBP and there's virtually no pauses and minimal instructions within both servicing loops.

Version of PBP?
    V2.60

It appears like it's some kind of enumeration issue. I downloaded a trial version of USB Trace to try and gather some kind of handle on what's being transferred during the enumeration process. Attached is a screen capture of the enumeration process.
    Key:
    Grey - Outgoing: From Host to device
    Green - Incoming (success): From device to Host
    Red - Incoming (Failed): From Device to Host

I notice there's no packets with data transferred. I'll do a comparison with the computer that successfully enumerates with this device. This is the result with the PIC connected to a laptop (host) running an early version of Vista Business.

Thanks for any assistance or pointers.

Troy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I know this will sound like I am beating the dead horse, but I still think it is a driver issue.

With the USB plugged in does it show up in device manager? If so, do the update driver thing pointing to the mchpcdc.inf.

To answer your earlier question about old XP. I do not think that is a problem. That *.inf is supposed to be good for Win 2000 and up.
    Dave

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.