A header wizard - Page 6

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: A header wizard

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Smile

This project is GREAT! I look forward to using it.

I vote #1.

I'm thanking you in advance right now.

Hi, Paul

There's a very important button Missing ....

The " DONATE " button ...

Worth it ... I Think !

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Hi,
    Jumping in in the middle here....
    I definitely vote for #1. The other two consumes more codespace and takes longer to execute. The execution time may not matter much but saving codespace is good.

A benefit of #2 (and #3) though is that you could include comments on a bit to bit basis which makes it easier to see what each bit does.

/Henrik.

Hello,

Alas, it will use #1 and #3... Users will have the choice. Checking the "Use ADC Aliases" box gets the nice and wordy #3. Leaving it unchecked gives the more terse #1.

#3 Does use a little more code space but should be more helpful in laying everything out clearly for the less experienced. The aliases also match the the names given for the bits in the datasheet, which could be helpful maybe.

#1 will be there for the more hardcore or those who need to conserve every byte.

Anyway, it became clear to me that there is no way around doing my homework. I'm going through every PIC that PBP supports, getting the datasheet, and logging the ADC configuration bits and registers into a spreadsheet. I started with the 10F202 and am working my way down the list, and I'm roughly a quarter of the way through. Here's some interesting numbers:

-The header wizard identifies 394 PIC microcontrollers supported by PBP. I've gotten my data for 101 of them so far.

-Of those 101, 53 have built-in ADCs.

-Of those 53, there are 15 different combinations of ADC setups. Two of those combinations will set up the ADCs on 24 different PICs while five are unique to a single PIC.

-There really appears to be only 2 or 3 general ways of setting up the ADC (with a couple of unique outliers), primary differences being the number of channels.

-So far, there are 35 different ADC register bits. (I.e., ANS0, PCFG0, CHS0, etc.)

Ok, so maybe they're not really all that interesting...8^) But I'm seeing some distinct patterns showing up that will make implementing the Header Wizard's code a little easier.

My guess is that it will take me another 3 or 4 days to finish gathering the data then another couple of days to implement it in code. So my target is to have a new version posted for next weekend, that will contain all of the bug fixes from the last one and add the ADC configuration.

Best Regards,
    Paul

Hi Paul,

Just curious, are you using the *.device file for anything.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

@Paul, I do find that very intresting. I am wondering, if you do this through google docs, the spreedsheet could be worked on by more people. I am guessing the information you need will be needed for each feature you want to add. Thats a huge volume of "homework". Or maybe share the format you need it in and we can work on other areas for you.

As a side note, you are gonna be Jedi master of "PIC" data when you are done reading all those datasheets, or just jelly brain.
    -Bert

The glass is not half full or half empty, Its twice as big as needed for the job!

http://foamcasualty.com/ - Warbird R/C scratch building with foam!

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit View Post
    Hi Paul,

Just curious, are you using the *.device file for anything.
    Hello Dave,

No, just the MPASM *.INC files What's a "*.device" file?

Best Regards,
    Paul

Walter Told us about them here
    http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/show...3897#post93897
    Might be just as easy the way you are going though...
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cncmachineguy View Post
    @Paul, I do find that very intresting. I am wondering, if you do this through google docs, the spreedsheet could be worked on by more people. I am guessing the information you need will be needed for each feature you want to add. Thats a huge volume of "homework". Or maybe share the format you need it in and we can work on other areas for you.

As a side note, you are gonna be Jedi master of "PIC" data when you are done reading all those datasheets, or just jelly brain.
    Hi Bert,

Thanks for the suggestion, but in this case at least I'm going to continue to plod through on my own as it is an excellent tool for expanding my own understanding. Plus I'll be completing my collection of PBP-capable datasheets--I'm gonna have the whole set!

Interestingly, the spreadsheet becomes a potential configuration file that would obviate the need to parse the .INC files at all...! Not sure I want to go there or not.

As far as becoming a configuration Jedi, well I'd call that a benefit!

Best Regards,
    Paul

Walter Told us about them here
    http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/show...3897#post93897
    Might be just as easy the way you are going though...
    Wow, I should have looked at that closer before. I might take that route. Thanks for making me take a second look!

Best Regards,
    Paul

Default Hi all!

Greetings to all! Here there was a speech about program ProtonHeaderMaker.
    I have written this program. But I had difficulties with series PIC18 as I am not strongly familiar with it. I have plans in the future to copy this program. It is my first rather large project. Also, I by analogy tried to write the program and for PBP. I will not spread it, as it - in Russian. It is the crude project as I could not be engaged simultaneously in both projects. Probably, it is useful to someone.
    I try to develop picbasic in Russia, therefore have written this program. It is difficult to buy licence compiler PBP from us or Proton.
    I placed this file on "depositfiles" only because on my site to download a file, it is necessary to be registered, and it is inconvenient to people not from Russia. Here the reference for direct downloading:

protonheadermaker here
    Last edited by Slazonger; - 27th September 2010 at 07:57.

Very Nice. Great job Slazonger. Thanks for sharing that with us! What programming language did you use?

Thanks again,

Walter
    http://www.scalerobotics.com

Default You are welcome!

I'm use delphi. I have some ideas for this program - for example, include pdu coder/decoder e.t.c. Thanks for interesting for my program.

Quote Originally Posted by Slazonger View Post
    I'm use delphi. I have some ideas for this program - for example, include pdu coder/decoder e.t.c. Thanks for interesting for my program.
    Hello Slazonger,

I love Delphi! Are you willing to share your source code?

Best Regards,
    Paul

Default i'm not assured

I love Delphi two! But my source code is raw. I'm not professional programmer. And what for to you a code? May be, when I will complete, the source code will be shared, but I am not assured...

Quote Originally Posted by Slazonger View Post
    I love Delphi two! But my source code is raw. I'm not professional programmer. And what for to you a code? May be, when I will complete, the source code will be shared, but I am not assured...
    Hello Slazonger,

I am working on a roughly similar sort of program for the PICBASIC Pro compiler, mostly for fun. It would be interesting to see another person's way of approaching some of the problems.

I've learned most of my programming by reading books and practicing. I do get paid to program, but mostly because I work in a very specialized industry. If there is anything I can do to to help with your program let me know--I talk to very few Delphi programmers. I will make the source code for my program freely available in about a week.

Best Regards,
    Paul

Hey Bert,
    Something more for you to play with.
    http://wiz.mackrackit.cambs.net/

I am glad Paul is doing one that actually works.
    Dave

I, as well as you, studied delphi a trial and error method, looking periodically in books. Don't misunderstand, but I don't want to spread source code from the left unfinished program. This program was developed only for two languages - Russian and English, and contains some decisions to which I guessed itself, and also the lines containing Russian words. I consider that this code isn't optimum and isn't practical. It will be simply a shame to me with it. And I want to correct it taking into account many factors. Also GUI leaves much to be desired. While the program is accessible in a network to users. I wrote it to lift interest of the Russian users to PICbasic. But, as I have already written, it is difficult to find a place where it is possible to find PBP or Proton in Russia. All know pleasure which you test at use license software. Here with it it is difficult and expensive if to buy abroad.
    Simply, get acquainted with carried out functions. If there are questions, write [email protected]

Default Quick Update

Hello All,

Just wanted to let you all know that I've been working diligently on the header wizard. I've had to effectively re-write the whole thing. I also wrote a utility that parses the various files (dev, inc, and some spreadsheets I made) to create a single text configuration file. This way the app won't have to depend on files from anywhere else, but can easily be updated as new chips are added.

On the down side, my self-imposed deadline for having a new beta for the weekend is going to slip. I've got some actual work-work (the kind that pays bills) with a hard deadline coming up.

On the bright side, I really have been working at this project obsessively. The time I've spent reading datasheets and trolling through the inc and dev files will pay off as the project is expanded.

So I'll figure another week. Don't hesitate to harass (gently) if I go too long without posting something...

Best Regards,
    Paul

On the down side, my self-imposed deadline for having a new beta for the weekend is going to slip. I've got some actual work-work (the kind that pays bills) with a hard deadline coming up.
    That sounds like the BRIGHT side!!!
    Dave

Default Yet Another Update...

I've been spending my free moments working on this application. I think I've gotten it basically working (at least for some basic PBP defines, pull-ups, port latches and states, and now the ADC) and I'm doing some debugging and prettying it up a little. It detects if comparators and usarts are present but doesn't do any of those configurations yet.

But, I'm gonna take the rest of the night off...8^) Just wanted to let you know it is still active and moving forward. Possibly Wednesday for the next beta.

Best Regards,
    Paul

Thanks again Paul.
    I am looking forward to it.
    Dave

Default PBP Header Wizard v0.1, Build #5

Hi All,

Got the new version for you to try out (attached).

Incidentally, from now on I'll just keep updating this file with the latest version.

There are now two files within the zip file. Jut unzip these to the same folder. No paths to MPASM or PBP are required. It will create an ini file (again in that same folder) that currently just retains the last PIC selected.

If you've followed the thread this far you should be able to figure out how to work it. There are extra tabs that appear (Comparator, USART, etc.) that don't do anything yet other than appear when appropriate for the selected PIC. The output is rough but accurate, I believe...

Please let me know any errors, bugs, problems, or inconsistencies, you run into. I'll work on any of these that show up over the next few days then dive back into comparator setup.

Best Regards,
    Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very impressive Paul ... and I am still playing...

And you thought you wouldn't have a new version out till Wednesday!
    http://www.scalerobotics.com

Very nice Paul!!!

Just a note for when you work on the comparator setup.
    You said the comparator did not do anything. It changes the ADC to digital.
    Dave

Just a note for when you work on the comparator setup.
    You said the comparator did not do anything. It changes the ADC to digital.
    Okay you got me there. The checkboxes for setting ADC and Comparator ports to digital are linked (because you might have one but not the other). If you check one the other is also checked.

Details, details...

Best Regards,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by scalerobotics View Post
    And you thought you wouldn't have a new version out till Wednesday!
    Of course the original target was a week and a half ago...

Best Regards,
    Paul

Default Re: A header wizard

No news for the header wizard ?

And for the Darrel "Fonctioning Configurator" too ?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by harryweb View Post
    No news for the header wizard ?
    This may be my fault. I offered to help Paul find some information, then got really busy and didn't finish my side of the task. Sorry Paul and sorry all.

I have not forgot about it, and will provide him the information if he is still willing to continue this project.
    -Bert

The glass is not half full or half empty, Its twice as big as needed for the job!

http://foamcasualty.com/ - Warbird R/C scratch building with foam!

harryweb, thanks for asking and bringing this up again.

Bert, you're a heckufa standup guy to try to take some blame. But you've earned none.

I was pretty pleased with the last beta. Then I actually tried using it on a new applications and is absolutely stunk. I got discouraged, and things started getting busy at work again (thank goodness for that). I'll take a fresh look at the code over the next couple of days and come up with a plan.

As far as what Darrel was alluding to I have no idea--maybe the fact that he's working for MELabs now (hooray!) was it?

Best Regards,
    Paul
    The way to avoid mistakes is to gain experience. The way to gain experience is to make mistakes.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Members who have read this thread : 2

You do not have permission to view the list of names.