PicKit 3

Closed Thread

Thread: PicKit 3

Default PicKit 3

Just received my pickit3 with 44 pin demo board. I use PBP 2.50 and am used to programming my chips with Winpic along with the simple ICSP shown here on the forum. But it appears now that I need to use MPLAB directly. Problem is after watching several demos on youtube I still can't "build" or "make" successfully. I am opening an .asm file that has been generated by PBP, but then MPLAB will not "make". below is just the last few lines of perhaps a hundred that show up in the Output screen of MPLAB

Warning[207] C:\PROGRAM FILES\MECANIQUE\V110 (test1).ASM 1526 : Found label after column 1. (LABEL?L)
    Error[122] C:\PROGRAM FILES\MECANIQUE\V110 (test1).ASM 1526 : Illegal opcode (L00070)
    Warning[207] C:\PROGRAM FILES\MECANIQUE\V110 (test1).ASM 1538 : Found label after column 1. (LOW?T)
    Error[122] C:\PROGRAM FILES\MECANIQUE\V110 (test1).ASM 1538 : Illegal opcode (PORTA)
    Warning[207] C:\PROGRAM FILES\MECANIQUE\V110 (test1).ASM 1547 : Found label after column 1. (END?)
    Halting build on first failure as requested.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Debug build of project `C:\Program Files\Mecanique\mptest.mcp' failed.
    Language tool versions: MPASMWIN.exe v5.36, mplink.exe v4.36, mplib.exe v4.36
    Preprocessor symbol `__DEBUG' is defined.
    Fri Aug 13 15:21:30 2010
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    BUILD FAILED

By the way, I am using MPLAB build 8.53 and I have already compiled and programmed my code using Winpic with the simple ICSP and it works, make me wonder why I ever bought the pickit3.

Oh, I remember my laptop doesn't have a 9 pin serial port, just USB, ...

thanks
    Last edited by tazntex; - 13th August 2010 at 22:34.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Maybe this will cheer you up to know others don't exactly love the pickit3 either.
    http://www.scalerobotics.com

Isn't that wonderful, ...

Default you gotta watch this one!!!!!

After you watch the above video you MUST!!! watch this one. Not only is it funny but it is amazing at the response Microchip gives to the previous video.

Go Microchip!! and great work to Dave Jones who did the EXCELLENT critique of the PICKIT3.
    It is an amazing example of the power of a good review.

Dwight
    These PIC's are like intricate puzzles just waiting for one to discover their secrets and MASTER their capabilities.

tazntex,
    I do not have a PicKit3 but you errors have nothing to do with that.

Are you using MPASM when you compile the PBP code?

You can also post the code that is giving trouble. PBP.

And it is not a good idea to keep your project file in "program file" in a program's directory.
    Make a directory in the root of your drive for PIC_PROGS with sub directories for each project. File name paths are shorter not to mention having things organized. But part of that is just my opinion...
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Quote Originally Posted by tazntex View Post

Just received my pickit3 ...

Oh, I remember my laptop doesn't have a 9 pin serial port, just USB, ...

thanks
    Hi, Tazntex

I Really do not understand your point of view :

You easily can write your Program in MCS, compile it using MPASM AND use Pickit3 as a programmer ( note compile and program are achieved through one button press ...)

So, looks your problem is not use your tools the way they are built for ...

the proof ??? : http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/show...0537#post80537

Alain

I just agree Pickit3 has to be used with a "direct" USB port ( straight from your Motherboard, no Hub ! ) ...
    The Pickit3 standalone soft is on the rails, get it here :
    http://www.microchip.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=500342

What else for you ???

Now ... note PBP 2.50 has had 2 patches a, and b ... you can get them from melabs site, If not already done ...
    Last edited by Acetronics2; - 14th August 2010 at 15:20.
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Thanks for all the responses and I have installed the PICit 3 Programmer (Beta Release) and all is well. After watching those videos above I may still buy a PICit 2, the logic analyzer could be useful.

Again, many thanks.

Thanks,
    After purchasing the PicKit3 first and having no sucess programming my pic, I took the suggestions on this forum and bought a PicKit2. I have had no problems with it, and the logic analyzer is an added benefit. Now I see why so many people on the web are unhappy with the PicKit3. However, the Pickit3 does not make a good paper weight and after I read this post I tried your suggestion, I added the V5 for my voltage and it seems to be working fine. Now other than sitting on the edge of my workbench as a conversation piece, the translucent red enclosure seems to catch everyones attention, although it seemed of no use to me since I was never able to get it to do anything but erase. The PicKit2 is now my preferred programmer but I am now able to use my PicKit3. Thank you for sharing this tip.

Default PicKit 3

I was kind of avoiding moving to a Pickit3, but I broke the usb connector off my spare pickit2, and the Pickit2 can't program a PIC18F47J53. Boo!

I didn't really have any problems getting the Pickit3 to work. But I think I had to open it up in MPLAB IDE to upgrade the firmware. It pretty much did it automatically once I selected the programmer.

I use it with its stand alone software, which is very similar to the look and feel of the PicKit2 software, only the PicKit3 is missing the UART tool, and the logic tool. I really do miss the UART tool. That was a nice feature. (I thought new versions were supposed to have MORE stuff )

Another annoyance is that the Pickit3 software doesn't list the last used hex codes under File, like the Pickit2 did. So, you have to add a few extra click to get to your hex codes.

Ah well. I would still suggest the Pickit2, unless you need to program chip that is not on it's compatibility list.

Default Re: PicKit 3

I bought a Pickit3 about a fortnight ago...just terrible in comparison to the pickit2 - I was very relieved to establish that I could program my 16flf1824 with the Pickit2 after all (I had thought I needed a Pickit3) ....the Pickit3 went straight back!

Default Re: PicKit 3

But guys, the PK3 is such a pretty RED color. Doesn't that alone make up for its lack of usefulness?

edit: Almost forgot the matching red USB cable
    -Bert

The glass is not half full or half empty, Its twice as big as needed for the job!

http://foamcasualty.com/ - Warbird R/C scratch building with foam!

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.