Adding a Favorites Option to the Forum

Closed Thread

Default Adding a Favorites Option to the Forum

Hi all,

There are a few old threads in this forum that I use a lot as a reference for my projects (thank you Darrel, Mister_E, Melany, and everybody else). Sometimes finding these threads again can be a challenge and time consuming.

This is why I think that it would be nice to have a Favorites option to the forum. Saving the links in Internet Explorer can help, but if you use different computers like I do, that might be a problem. Well, this is just a thought . What does everybody else think about this?

Robert

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

That's a great idea Robert. I will check with the admins to see if that is possible. I know you can "subscribe" to the threads you like, but I am not sure if there are more possibilities. Might not be possible, but we will see.

Also, you could mention to us a list of your favorites, and if we think there is enough interest, we could promote them to Wiki's. We have been starting to try to do this with some of the more popular/interesting threads. A lot of material to sift through, and try to find things that interest a lot of people.

Thanks Robert,

Walter

Saving the links in Internet Explorer
    You could use google chrome in the meantime. If the different computers are yours you can have it set so the bookmarks are the same on all of your computers.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit View Post

You could use google chrome in the meantime. If the different computers are yours you can have it set so the bookmarks are the same on all of your computers.
    Thank you all for your response.

Mackrackit,

I will take a look at this google chrome to see what it can do. Anyways, I also use my HTC cell phone and sometimes I use the computers at work to read and study the threads. Needless to say that I can't install google chrome at work .

scalerobotics,

About adding my list of favorites to the Wiki's if there is enough interest, that's ok. But, everybody has different interests. There won't be two people in this forum with exactly the same list of favorite threads. Most likely that the threads I like many people won't care about them.

Well, this was just a thought, and I thought it was appropiate to post it in the forum category "Forum Requests". Thank you all for your comments.

Robert

I doubt if the administrators can add a function like this because this forum is a "canned" solution, if it is not in vBulletin's package then it can not be done.

More options...
    You would probably like google docs. Anything you put there is accessible from anywhere.. A document with links could be created.

Get a free web site from Lester and have a "Links" page.
    http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/cont...ee-Web-Hosting

Or..
    In you user profile post a message to yourself with forum links.
    See my profile for an example.
    Dave

Searching around vBulletin sites a little bit, it looks like people have been requesting this feature for a number of years.

Another way is to go to your subscribed threads and set up a Favorites folder. To do that, go under quick links, and then go to edit folders. Add a folder called favorites (or whatever you would like to organize your favorite threads).

Then, when you see a thread you like, click on Thread Tools, and subscribe to thread. You will see the following pop up. Change the folder to whatever you have called it, (in my case favorites), then the Add Subscription button.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ScaleRobotics; - 30th June 2010 at 16:25.

Walter,
    That looks like the best way yet! I am going to use your method myself.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit View Post
    Walter,
    That looks like the best way yet! I am going to use your method myself.
    Walter,

I agree with Dave. Your method seems to be the best way to do what I want. I would probably create a few folders like "USB", "DT Interrupts", etc. This way I would be able to find the threads I need pretty quick. I will definetily give this a try.

I wonder if this Favorites option was posible to do with the old forum format. Probably not, but I am just curious.

Robert
    Last edited by rsocor01; - 1st July 2010 at 06:56.

Walter,

I've been busy lately between work and watching the Soccer World Cup . But, I finally tried your method of creating a Favorites folder in the Subscribed Threads. It works great! It's exactly what I needed. Thank you all for your help.

Robert

I dont know how relevant this solution would be (wouldnt help if you use multiple computers), but for Firefox users there's a brilliant tool called Scrapbook; it captures pages either in full, nested, or a selection of the page. You can annotate, add keywords and do a FULL indexed search. Also, you can 'combine' pages; this feature is great to save a page, along with say a hex file, or a zip thats URL'ed on that. So, you have a complete project available right on your hard disk.

In fact I find Scrapbook so indispensable I dont think I would switch from Firefox, just for it.

Regards,

Anand

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.