Replying with quote

Closed Thread

Default Replying with quote

Hi everyone,
    I don't know if it's just me but I don't get the point in replying to a message with a full quote of the message you're replying to. I feel it clutters up the thread a lot and that it's completely unnecessary. I mean, all that text that is quoted is already there - in the previous message - there's no need to have an identical copy of it right after the original post.

If you're replying to a message "further back" in the thread then OK, but even better to just quote the particular lines of text you're responding to.

I'm not sure but I think the "problem" has gotten a lot worse since the forum update.

My request - should you choose to accept it - is to have the reply with quote button disabled on the LAST message in a thread.

Comments?

/Henrik.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsson View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I don't know if it's just me but I don't get the point in replying to a message with a full quote of the message you're replying to. I feel it clutters up the thread a lot and that it's completely unnecessary. I mean, all that text that is quoted is already there - in the previous message - there's no need to have an identical copy of it right after the original post.

If you're replying to a message "further back" in the thread then OK, but even better to just quote the particular lines of text you're responding to.

I'm not sure but I think the "problem" has gotten a lot worse since the forum update.

My request - should you choose to accept it - is to have the reply with quote button disabled on the LAST message in a thread.

Comments?

/Henrik.
    And to prove my point... can anyone see the point in replying to the previous message with a full quote of it?

/Henrik.

Hi, Henrik

Good Question ...

You have two ways to do that ...

1) The " full quote " method.( with right low button click )

What I do Is manually add Quote and /Quote in the original text to keep the questions, when numerous.
    I also can Wipe off unnessessary text

2) "Cut and Paste" method ( with hi Left button click )

Here you just can take few parts of the previous message. ( or the full message ... but why do simple ...)

Both methods depend on the questionning post ... both have their advantages ...

May be just a question of ... how to say it ??? ... Courtesy ???

a nice solution would be to have a message printed if full quote using like :

DO YOU REALLY NEED FULL QUOTE ???
    Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Hi Alain,
    You absolutely need to be able, and allowed, to quote parts of messages or even the complete message if you're providing "inline" answers but that is usually not the case. Ususally I use the "manual cut'n'paste with quote /quote tags method" myself.

However, it feels like it's been more and more common to see messages starting with a complete quote of the previous message. In some cases even the quoted message contains a quote and, well you get the point.

A message asking the poster to think twice about quoting the complete message, perhaps not as BIG as in your post is good start - IF the majority thinks it's good idea, that is.

I'm only one voice here and I don't expect everyone to do or not do something because *I* say so - which is why I brought the topic up for discussion.

Thanks!
    /Henrik.

Henrik

Being somewhat serious ( I sometimes can ...),

The " problem " I faced is ... for long threads its a bit annoying to scroll back to the first post to get the " answer only" button.

That told, It would be LOGICAL to find those " reply" buttons at the bottom of the thread ...

But here, it's an English Forum ... and the English Approach of ERGONOMICS ... is well known to be a very special science ...

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...

Hi Alain,
    I'm not sure what's up with that... Perhaps it's a browser compatibility thing because on THIS computer, running XP+FireFox 3.0.9 I get the ordinary Reply button below the last message, in the left corner - see screenshot:

Name:  ReplyButton.JPG
Views: 487
Size:  15.4 KB

However, on another computer running Win7+IE8 I do NOT get the button in the same place, only at the top of the page even though I'm displaying the thread with newest message at the bottom on both machines.

/Henrik.

Yes, looks to be browser issues ( I also have some other little ones with IE8 )

let's see what the squad will tell us about those ...

Alain

Default Re: Replying with quote

Hi Alain,
    You absolutely need to be able, and allowed, to quote parts of messages or even the complete message if you're providing "inline" answers but that is usually not the case. ...
    I often quote inline, and add (QUOTE)...(/QUOTE) as required.

I've seen threads on a racing forum where users keep adding full quotes. It gets ridiculous mighty quick.
    Last edited by Demon; - 26th April 2011 at 16:53. Reason: cause I did a booboo
    My Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus is a giant paperweight that can't even be used as a boat anchor, cause I'd be fined for polluting our waterways with electronic devices.

Not as dumb as yesterday, but stupider than tomorrow!

I think that the answer is NO you don't NEED to include a full quote of the original post, but i can see why it happens.

Problem is usually thread hijacking or 'Subject Creep'

i.e the thread starts on one subject then gets hijacked or creeps onto another subject. Then in an effort to add clarity to the response a user includes a quote of the full text that the user is replying to. ( I've done it myself - i'll try not to in future!)

A solution would be for the moderators to quickly break threads into NEW threads each time a new subject is started. then it would be more reasonable to ask people not to include full quotes.

Another solution would be for users to refrain from thread hijacking and start new threads. Maybe a GENTLE reminder, from a moderator, to those that hijack or devaiate form the original subject might help.

Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post
    I think that the answer is NO you don't NEED to include a full quote of the original post, but i can see why it happens.

Problem is usually thread hijacking or 'Subject Creep'

i.e the thread starts on one subject then gets hijacked or creeps onto another subject. Then in an effort to add clarity to the response a user includes a quote of the full text that the user is replying to. ( I've done it myself - i'll try not to in future!)

A solution would be for the moderators to quickly break threads into NEW threads each time a new subject is started. then it would be more reasonable to ask people not to include full quotes.

Another solution would be for users to refrain from thread hijacking and start new threads. Maybe a GENTLE reminder, from a moderator, to those that hijack or devaiate form the original subject might help.
    Lester,
    That might sometimes be the case but not what I was aiming for when I first posted. What I was aiming for was what I just did now, ie quoting the previous message in the thread. I simply can't see the reason for doing it which is why I'm asking if the "reply with quote button" can be diasabled on the newest message in the thread (or completely). If a quote is needed (full or partial) then it's still available with the quote endquote tags.

I do believe though that there's been some updates to forum because when I originally posted the "normal" reply button wasn't displayed in some browsers, IIRC...

/Henrik.

Lester,
    That might sometimes be the case but not what I was aiming for when I first posted. What I was aiming for was what I just did now, ie quoting the previous message in the thread. I simply can't see the reason for doing it which is why I'm asking if the "reply with quote button" can be diasabled on the newest message in the thread (or completely). If a quote is needed (full or partial) then it's still available with the quote endquote tags.

I do believe though that there's been some updates to forum because when I originally posted the "normal" reply button wasn't displayed in some browsers, IIRC...

/Henrik.

I replied with full quote to see it I would pick up Lester's post as well. At least this forum only quotes the previous post, that's nice.

On other forums I've seen embedded replies that go 5 layers deep.
    My Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus is a giant paperweight that can't even be used as a boat anchor, cause I'd be fined for polluting our waterways with electronic devices.

Not as dumb as yesterday, but stupider than tomorrow!

well i'm not happy about removing the button. I'd rather the moderators educated the users, or moderated the posts. I think this is a forum etiquette issue. I'll leave it with the moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post
    I'll leave it with the moderators.
    We CAN shorten them up after they are posted. The issue I see is 27 pages after the first post you wonder what the OP needed help on, THEN a full quote might be useful. Maybe there is some way to sticky the first post to the top of each page ?
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

For what its worth, I agree with all of you. There is no need to full quote the post just before your reply. I too had the issue with my browser at work only gave me the option to quote or scroll to the top for the reply button. I found it quite easy to use the quote button, highlight all and erase the quote. If that is too much work for the poster, well what can I say.

On the other hand, I don't see why the format of the forum should be altered to prevent this. To me this would be like removing beer from the store to prevent drunk driving. I think education is the key. It is not only the moderators job but the job of all of us to try and educate the new folks and welcome them to "our" fine community.
    -Bert

The glass is not half full or half empty, Its twice as big as needed for the job!

http://foamcasualty.com/ - Warbird R/C scratch building with foam!

I'll look into making the first post sticky

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.