PIC18 interrupt handler, where to save W etc?

Closed Thread

Hybrid View

Unhappy PIC18 interrupt handler, where to save W etc?

I'm trying to make a simple interrupt handler for the PIC18F8722 timer0. I'm using PICBASIC PRO, MPLAB, the Explorer 18 board, PICKIT 3 and MPASM.

I'm confused about the assembler interrupt handler for the PIC18F8722. Where is W saved? I see code snippets but not the whole thing and apparently W is saved in different locations for the different PIC micros? And what about the bank(ing)? I can't seem to find answers in the PIC BASIC PRO Manual or in M-chip docs or elsewhere but probably I'm not looking in the proper docs or just not understanding what I'm reading!

So the beginning of the interrupt code is (for example, from http://www.phanderson.com/PIC/16C84/...rrupt_1.html):
    MOVWF W_SAVE ; save W
    SWAPF STATUS, W ; save STATUS
    MOVWF STATUS_SAVE

So, for the PIC18F8722, where is W_SAVE located and what to do about the bank(ing)?

Thanks in advance!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

One nice thing about 18F's is that you don't have to save W, BSR and STATUS when using High Priority Interrupts.
    The hardware does it for you whenever an interrupt occurs by saving the values to "Shadow" registers.

At the end of the ISR just ...
     RETFIE FAST ; return from interrupt, restore shadows
    and they all get restored.
    A plain RETFIE does not.

When using Low Priority interrupts you do need to save them.
    But they can be anywhere in RAM, just use MOVFF to save/restore them.
    DT

This is helpful as well http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/39500a.pdf

You can use the fast return with auto restore for low pri ints too, but not if you have high pri & low pri interrupts enabled at the same time. The high pri interrupt can corrupt shadow values saved during the low pri interrupt.
    Last edited by Bruce; - 15th May 2010 at 23:10.
    Regards,

-Bruce
    tech at rentron.com
    http://www.rentron.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    You can use the fast return with auto restore for low pri ints too, but not if you have high pri & low pri interrupts enabled at the same time. The high pri interrupt can corrupt shadow values saved during the low pri interrupt.
    That is so true ...

But so far, I haven't found a possible reason for anyone to have Low Priority interrupts, without High Priority.
    Consequently, DT_INTS crashes if you try to only use LP ints, mainly because I haven't seen the need.

Is there a reason anyone can think of for using only Low Priority Interrupts?
    Enquiring minds want to know.
    DT

Is there a reason anyone can come up with for using only Low Priority Interrupts?
    I use low priority exclusivley unless I have more than 1 interrupt, and one 'or more' needs priority over the lower priority interrupt task.

If you only have 1 interrupt enabled, I can't see why making it high priority VS low priority would be of any benefit!

Consequently, DT_INTS crashes if you try to only use LP ints
    Yikes. I haven't used DT_INTs much with 18F types, but that's good to know. What causes that to happen?
    Last edited by Bruce; - 16th May 2010 at 04:50.
    Regards,

-Bruce
    tech at rentron.com
    http://www.rentron.com

I use low priority exclusivley unless I have more than 1 interrupt, and one 'or more' needs priority over the lower priority interrupt task.
    Ok,
    But since all the 18F's default to High Priority on power-up.
    You have to first Enable Low Priorities by setting IPEN ...

RCON.7 = 1 ; enable interrupt priorities

And clear the corresponding priority bit for the interrupt you're using ...

IPR1.5 = 0 ; set RCIF to low priority

And always remember to use GIEL INTCON.6 instead of GIEH INTCON.7

Then, does that give you anything that the default High priority doesn't?
    Other than more statements to write.

Well, DT_INTS doesn't really crash, it just won't compile with only LP ints because it's looking for something that isn't there. And I never saw a reason to try to change it.

Perhaps it's just a way of thinking and I could make DT_INTS allow LP_INTS only.
    But if there's a valid reason, I will definitely do it.

Q: Is there a reason anyone can think of for using only Low Priority Interrupts?
    DT

Smile Thanks Guys!

So far I had only thought of one interrupt to use for my project, and I figured I would set it at low priority since there seemed to be no reason to use high-priority when using only one interrupt. Then if later on I discovered that another interrupt was needed, I supposed it might be a higher priority and would then use high priority for it. So, yes, I may need only one interrupt and didn't know of a reason to set it at high priority.

Interestingly, I think, my PICBASIC PRO manual states in section 9.3 "In any case, you must restore these registers at the end of your assembler interrupt handler. If the 14-bit core PIC MCU has 2K or less of code space, or it is an PIC18 device, the registers are not saved. Your interrupt handler must save and restore any used registers." However, the on-line PICBASIC PRO manual doesn't have such a statement and I hadn't read that section of the on-line manual until this morning. I don't see anything about high or low priority interrupts in the manuals. I suppose MEL can't be expected to put "everything about everything" in their manual but interrupts are a particularly important topic, I think.

I wasn't planning on using the DT_INTS, figuring that my project is so simple that DT_INTS wouldn't be required. In retrospect, I probably should use DT_INTS but I need to get my code running right away (yesterday, of course) and our Procurement Department takes a couple of weeks or more to purchase anything and I don't want to spend my own $. BTW, I am a firm believer in macros but have always made my own macros.

So, in conclusion:
    1. Use the high priority interrupts if possible.
    2. For high priority interrupts, use RETFIE FAST ; return from interrupt, restore shadows.
    3. If I have to use low-priority interrupts, I have to save the registers and they can be saved anywhere, using MOVFF to restore them. Also have to use "RCON.7 = 1 ; enable interrupt priorities. And clear the corresponding priority bit for the interrupt you're using ...IPR1.5 = 0 ; set RCIF to low priority. And always remember to use GIEL INTCON.6 instead of GIEH INTCON.7"

This all seems overly complex with all sorts of special rules, but I guess it comes with the high-capability of the beast. I come from the days of (even before) the DEC PDP8 and PDP9, and am overwhelmed with this complexity.

I just now discovered a very useful thread from 2006 with Darrel's info about interrupts. Not sure why I didn't see this earlier: http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3251

Now to get back to my home "industrial controller" project with the dsPIC33F and the MPLAB GNU C compiler. That's beginning to seem simpler than using PICBASIC PRO. ;-)

Thanks again for all the very useful info!

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnEE View Post
    I'm trying to make a simple interrupt handler for the PIC18F8722 timer0. I'm using PICBASIC PRO, MPLAB, the Explorer 18 board, PICKIT 3 and MPASM.

I'm confused about the assembler interrupt handler for the PIC18F8722. Where is W saved? I see code snippets but not the whole thing and apparently W is saved in different locations for the different PIC micros? And what about the bank(ing)? I can't seem to find answers in the PIC BASIC PRO Manual or in M-chip docs or elsewhere but probably I'm not looking in the proper docs or just not understanding what I'm reading!

So the beginning of the interrupt code is (for example, from http://www.phanderson.com/PIC/16C84/...rrupt_1.html):
    MOVWF W_SAVE ; save W
    SWAPF STATUS, W ; save STATUS
    MOVWF STATUS_SAVE

So, for the PIC18F8722, where is W_SAVE located and what to do about the bank(ing)?

Thanks in advance!
    I think you should have the swift code so that the banking will surely not interrupt.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.