code examples and copyright

Closed Thread
    malc-c Guest

Default code examples and copyright

Often, us lesser mortals are pointed to sample code posted on these forums, or the more knowledgeable forum members correct problem code or write an example to demonstrate a principle (Darrel, Mel, Bruce etc often rise to this challenge)

I was just wondering what are the legalities in using these code snippets or examples within ones own code, especially if the project isn't a one off for personal use (but not necessarily commercial). For me, I include the originator in a list of contributors at the start of the code, like a simple credit, as the original code has been posted in a public forum on a voluntary basis and thus almost "public domain"

I'm interested in hearing others view point on this

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

I speak for myself, personally, but I am sure most folks will follow the same principles.

If you publicly post anything, be it code or your personal opinions, it becomes public domain. Anyone can take and do what the please with it... and they do, because I've noticed some absolutely terrible Cut & Paste examples where those involved haven't the slightest clue what they are doing! It always generates a smile when someone claims something to be their own work, but embedded is a peculiar mnemonic for a Variable or Port name that you know that you invented.

If you happen to earn a million out of it - good for you. It would be nice to get a credit (or even a crumb), but it's unlikely. After all, if it's YOUR homework, or coursework for educational credits, you're not exactly going to admit at the top of your work that it was courtesy of Darrel or Bruce and that your input was mostly boozing down the pub!

It is kinda pointless posting something publicly and then telling folks you can't use it - sure, everyone is really going to listen and respect your wishes. Many times I could have replied to a thread or posted code which would/could be of value to a competitor, or itself be of great intrinsic commercial value. I just don't post it, or if I'm feeling kind, I may just post some hints as to how to approach the solution.

So, in summary, if you post something - it becomes everyones property. If you don't like the thought of that - keep it to yourself!

Hi, Malc

AS code examples are, by definition, intended to be " cut and pasted " numerous times ... also by professionnals.

I do not think you can invoke some Copyright in any way ...

NOW, taking an example or a program from a sold book ... without any reference to the author could be considered guilty ...

BUT WHO CARES ??? ... "Copyright" never appears in the Hex Listing !!!

I've found Brasilian , chinese or Taiwanese products, obviously using NET available programs showing the Copyright ...

... and Claiming loud to be " full Brasilian ( or chinese) products " ...

The only thing that can be done here is NOT to freely provide the programs, and "flag" those unfair people on the concerned forums ...

[Humour ON]
    That furiously looks like doing student's homeworks on electronics forums ... don't you think ???
    [Humour OFF]

Examples given ... YES, of course ( YOU did ask for a lot, these times ...no ???)... full applications ... only at your own will !!!

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    If you publicly post anything, be it code or your personal opinions, it becomes public domain. Anyone can take and do what the please with it... and they do

...SNIP....

if you post something - it becomes everyones property. If you don't like the thought of that - keep it to yourself!
    I think that sums it up perfectly but I also think its only fair to give credit to those who have helped in your design be it hardware or software.

I have a unit in the field which I ever redesign the board I will be losing one transistor and two resistors to take full advantage of Melanie's "Using a spare comparator" suggestion

Even if you dont use the exact code snippet posted, seeing how someone else would do something can be the inspiration on how to do something.

I remember going to the PLASA (Professional Light and Sound Association) show many years ago and wondering how a particular manufacturer did something, then seeing their latest products on the stand with a plexiglass top to the case and all the inner workings displayed at which point you realise "ah yes, thats how they are doing it"

EDIT: forgot to add..... THIS WORKS BOTH WAYS !!! To receive without giving anything in return is just plain wrong. You may not have the same level of knowledge as the person that helped you, but you have a better level of knowledge or expertise (not neccessarily in the same area) than other people which you SHOULD use to assist others
    Last edited by keithdoxey; - 20th April 2010 at 11:03. Reason: missed a bit !!!
    Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
    www.kat5.tv

as the original code has been posted in a public forum on a voluntary basis and thus almost "public domain"
    No almost to it.. It IS public domain.
    If someone has some "super secret" code they do not want anyone else to use then they should not be posting it.

BUT...
    If you use any of the drabble I post and you make a million on it a six pack of Mountain Dew coming my way would be nice.

And...
    Along the line of what Keith said.
    What comes around goes around. If you do not help someone here help someone some place. That is how you pay back.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

malc-c Guest

Interesting comments, and thanks for all the input.

I must admit that being a slow learner I tend to be requesting more assiatance than I've given to others, but I do input where possible, and on the odd occasion have helped fellow neebies with some of the more basic issues and passing on the wisdom gained from the guru's here. I therefore agree totally with contributing to the forum, and intend to post up the full code of a project I'm currently working on, which has been a joint venture with several board members, and includes several code examples as bases on which to adapt to my needs.- Credits will be included and links to this forum added to the code header.

If I did end up turning this into some big money spinner, then there would be more than a six pack on its way to all those involved

Quote Originally Posted by malc-c View Post
    Interesting comments, and thanks for all the input.
    If I did end up turning this into some big money spinner, then there would be more than a six pack on its way to all those involved
    I already have my list written out

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.