USB communication between VB and an 18Fxx31 device

Closed Thread

Default USB communication between VB and an 18Fxx31 device

I've been using an 18Fxx31 PIC for motion control making use of the built in quadrature decoder. Works fine as a stand alone controller. So to make life harder for myself I want to run the motion control out of a VB program. That will mean passing a 32bit "long" word from VB to the PIC. For simplicity I would like to use a USB connector to do this. Can one of you gurus point me at an easy way to learn how to do this ?

The idea is to simply pass the desired position from a VB program to a controller which will run its own code to drive a linear drive to the new position and then send back an indication that the drive has arrived.

thanks, Andrew

Hi,
    Well, the 18Fxx31 series doesn't have USB on-board (like the '2550 etc) so you'll have to use an external USB chip. Something from FTDI, like the FT232R is probably a good option. It's nothing I've played with personally but it's being done 'all the time'....

Or perhaps something as simple as:

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/391

Gets around having to solder SMD chips

Sure, if you're building one or a few units or for experimenting it's definitely a good approach. If building several units then the cost compared to buying the IC, connector and supporting components adds up. Sparkfun also has several similar products, based on various IC's.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.